1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Salomon QST 92

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Sbooker, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Sbooker

Sbooker One of Us

I skied in some of these yesterday and loved them.
    Can anyone tell me other skis that would be consider similar?
    I don’t know much about gear.
    Thanks.

2. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

They’re fantastic, we sell tons of them. Not much jumps out at me as a direct competitor. K2 Mindbender 90ti perhaps. Nordica Enforcer 93 has similar geometry but is stiffer and costs a lot more. I gave my Enforcer 88s their first proper ski yesterday and I’m a huge fan.

Jacko4650 likes this.
  3. DPS Driver

DPS Driver One of Us

I can tell you some that are better. ;)

4. Sbooker

Sbooker One of Us

Which DPS ski is similar?

5. DPS Driver

DPS Driver One of Us

Well seeing as though you asked. The Cassiar 94 Foundation construction. Better spec with carbon fibre stringers and race bases but closest to construction.

6. Gregah

Gregah One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I've had these recommended to me by someone who "should" know as being in the same camp as the Blizzard Rustler 9s. I haven't skied either yet so cant vouch.

7. Sbooker

Sbooker One of Us

I spoke to a fellow today in the lift kind that was on Rustler 9’s and he had skied the QST 92. He liked both but went with the Rustler because his mate had a pair of Blizzards that held together well.

Gregah likes this.
  8. CarveMan

Rustler and QST are very different skis.

I'm not a fan of the Rustlers personally as I prefer a completely directional ski with a traditional mount point and traditional flex pattern.

Rustlers are more double rockered, they're kind of a gateway ski for someone who grew up on twin tips but doesn't ski in the park much any more and is heading towards a directional ski but still wants that familiar feel.

The younger guys at work all love the Rustlers but they all said if you're hesitating between two lengths, go longer.

Zeroz, Gregah and Annabuzzy like this.
  9. Sbooker

Sbooker One of Us

Good info. Thanks.
    I’m only 72kgs and 169cm short.:) The skis I’m on are 161cm long but I feel I could go a touch longer.
    Thoughts?

10. CarveMan

169 for sure.

11. Gregah

Hey CarveMan, I think I've settled on the 2020 QST 92...
    I'm 186cm, 86kg, upper intermediate and into carving short to medium turns more so than GS turns at speed. What do you reckon - the 177cm or the 185cm?

12. CarveMan

177 as you’re upper intermediate & like shorter turns.

CJP and Gregah like this.
  13. CJP

CJP Hard Yards

I recently bought the 2020 Salomon QST92 in a 177. I demoed them along with the Volkl Kendo. I really liked them also but found them a bit stiffer than the Salomons. I am 181cm and 95kg and would say I am a lower intermediate skier, who mainly skis groomed runs. I found the Salomon to be softer and really enjoyed the way these skis worked for me, insert huge smile. I got them with the EPIC PASS discount in Perisher and so far so good. I came from K2 Pinnacle 88s in 170cm which have been handed down to the second child.

Gregah and oldgeezer like this.
  14. Gregah

Good to hear CJP. I've also been skiing Kendos thus far this year and like you like them but find them a bit stiff and heavy for my skill / speed level.
    Out of interest, how do you compare the QSTs to your old K2s?

15. CJP

CJP Hard Yards

I like the Salomon skis, maybe because they are longer (and newer) but I find them a lot faster in a straight line (can now keep up with kids), but very reassuring in turns, crud and bumps. While not a great skier I think I have improved while using them over the 4 days since buying.

Gregah likes this.
  16. Sbooker

Sbooker One of Us

Thanks for the info.

17. Gregah

I've had 10 days on these now and have finally "found the love". My transition from Kendo's was initially a bit problematic. These are heaps lighter and very "pivotty" by comparison and ski shorter for the same length. This makes them almost too easy to foot steer and I questioned their stability. But...once I widened my turn radius a bit and started carving instead of smearing things changed. They are actually very stable and hold an edge very well without needed a heap of angle.

Pros:
    Versatility - tackled icy hardpack, hard and soft roys, shallow fresh, moguls, crud and slush. For my ability & style they were impressive in all bar the slush where they fished around a bit too much.
    Lightness - no weary legs at day's end
    Rebound - quite springy and poppy out of turns when kept on an edge. So fun and playful.
    Stability at speed - impressive for a light ski
    Forgiveness - especially when finding yourself in the back seat

Cons:
    Mildly sore knees - 92mm vs 88mm (Kendos) isn't much of a jump but that's obviously my threshold reached.

Overall, they lived up to their "all-mountain" promise and are probably making me a better skier by "forcing" me to carve more. Dropping heavy tired legs and picking up mildly sore knees feels like an ok trade. Happy camper...

18. DPS Driver

DPS Driver One of Us

I wouldn’t attribute 2mm either side as a contributor to your saw knees. If they didn’t hurt with the Kendo’s they certainly wouldn’t hurt with QST’s. Perhaps the fact that you’ve changed your skiing style and pressuring your edges more and for longer periods throughout the turn is the cause of your knee pain.

Gregah likes this.
  19. Gregah

Fair call. TBH I'm not sure what's causing it. My thinking was influenced by this article: https://realskiers.com/revelations/why-wide-skis-arent-good-for-your-knees/