1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Salomon s-lab shift

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by Rick Ross Da Boss, Aug 26, 2018.

1. Rick Ross Da Boss

Rick Ross Da Boss One of Us

Has anyone been fortunate enough to get there hands on a pair of these or have any thoughts on them?

2. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Thread here: https://www.ski.com.au/xf/threads/s-lab-shift-mnc.80044/

We've got some, still waiting for our pre-order list of people to take up the offer before we unleash them on the public.

Haven't skied them yet, the only fault we can see in the shop is that you could trip and step on the deployed brake in walk mode and that will put it back in to ski mode. So I would be careful with the brake width choice and err on the narrower side, and if your ski is say 102mm I'd go with the 100 with a slight bend.

But overall they look great and will definitely shake up the industry.

Rick Ross Da Boss likes this.
  3. Whatever really

Whatever really Addicted

Saw a heap of these in NZ,
    Some on new skis some on old skis they had obviously swapped over to a new binding.
    Funny enough I only saw one other pair of Tectons.

Rick Ross Da Boss likes this.
  4. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Fritschi don’t have the sexy marketing I guess.

5. Team Weasel

Team Weasel One of Us

Skied them past two days. Agree with carveman re brakes, but I managed fine with a 120mm on a 108 ski.

On the up they are a bit heavy, but I feel like if you maximise your efficiency the penalty isn't that great.

Transitions are surprisingly easy and relatively quick.

On the down they are amazing. Outstanding power transfer. Great retention despite ice/cornice debris/bad landings. Nothing but praise so far, but I do wonder if a tecton would work equally well for less weight.

6. Whatever really

Whatever really Addicted

I think
    you are 100% correct, Salamon have a huge market share with a huge global supply network and big name team riders and this goes a long way.
    Had Fritschi licensed it’s design with another big name it would be a different story I’d think.
    Either way I don’t think you would be disappointed either way.

7. sbm_

sbm_ One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Just heard about these on the Totally Deep podcast. Apparently in the States distribution has been hugely delayed they were saying. Also it has been in development almost 7 years!

A good point they made, is that plate/frame bindings that "ski well on the downs" like the Guardian or Duke, actually have a huge dead spot in the ski flex because of the stiffness of the plate, and arguably don't actually ski as well as tech bindings.