SAP Article - Privatising KNP

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Dropbear

One of Us
Aug 4, 2010
Northern Beaches
Interesting times. A lot of people I know are pi$$ed at Gladys’ pandemic strategy.
Covid election guessology.

It appears that Gladys has become a liability for the Liberals, given her integrity issues as well as her covid failures. However, her potential challengers are male, so they won't move against her, in case that would look bad for them. So they're all waiting to see what happens with the ICAC. If she doesn't get booted for a transgression, then she'll have to step aside at some point next year. I couldn't see her remaining Premier through to the next election, let alone winning it.

I don't know what that means for Bruz? He appears to have his own integrity issues, although I've not heard any ICAC interest with him. But I agree with other's comments here that the SAP could be shelved if he were to go.

The next NSW election is March 2023, so I suspect that the SAP Master Plan is planned to be done by then, and that means all the money committed to various parts of it would all be spent. It won't matter if the implementation hasn't finished if the legislation has already been changed to enable the SAP plans.

So I think the next election might be too far away to stop the SAP. There would need to be other political or environmental reasons to pause it or stop it in the meantime.

Reactions: Alleve

Alleve

One of Us
Jun 17, 2019
Southern Sydney
It appears that Gladys has become a liability for the Liberals, given her integrity issues as well as her covid failures. However, her potential challengers are male, so they won't move against her, in case that would look bad for them. So they're all waiting to see what happens with the ICAC. If she doesn't get booted for a transgression, then she'll have to step aside at some point next year. I couldn't see her remaining Premier through to the next election, let alone winning it.

I don't know what that means for Bruz? He appears to have his own integrity issues, although I've not heard any ICAC interest with him. But I agree with other's comments here that the SAP could be shelved if he were to go.

The next NSW election is March 2023, so I suspect that the SAP Master Plan is planned to be done by then, and that means all the money committed to various parts of it would all be spent. It won't matter if the implementation hasn't finished if the legislation has already been changed to enable the SAP plans.

So I think the next election might be too far away to stop the SAP. There would need to be other political or environmental reasons to pause it or stop it in the meantime.
Screenshot_20211001-135638_Chrome.jpg
It seems you were right, although you gave her more time than she ending up having. With Barilaro in charge (God help us), I think it's safe to say the SAP is going ahead.

Chookfooter

Cranky Curmudgeon
Ski Pass
May 11, 2020
Will the SAP be an important issue for locals in the Monaro byelection?
The SAP is an important issue for some people in Jindabyne, with a population of around 4000, so at most 2000 voters, and I would guess the majority of them would be basing their electoral choice on other issues. The remainder of the 57000 voters in the electorate could not give 2 hoots about the SAP. I can't see it being an issue in the by-election.

climberman

CloudRide1000 Legend
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2000
the sunny illawarra
Gone!

Best outcome for the SAP would be for it to be run by Kean, or second-best by Stokes.

What importance would hold for folks in QBN, Jerrabomberra, Googong, etc?

SAP is a Nats construct to deliver accelerated planning outcomes in regional towns.

Pittwater and Hornsby-based Ministers from the Liberal Party likely to have a lower level of buy-in.

Dropbear

One of Us
Aug 4, 2010
Northern Beaches
The SAP is an important issue for some people in Jindabyne, with a population of around 4000, so at most 2000 voters, and I would guess the majority of them would be basing their electoral choice on other issues. The remainder of the 57000 voters in the electorate could not give 2 hoots about the SAP. I can't see it being an issue in the by-election.
What importance would hold for folks in QBN, Jerrabomberra, Googong, etc?

SAP is a Nats construct to deliver accelerated planning outcomes in regional towns.

Pittwater and Hornsby-based Ministers from the Liberal Party likely to have a lower level of buy-in.

Fair nuff, cheers. I suppose much of the difficulty is that some environmental issues might be locally based, but affect a wider distribution of people. KNP is an important place for the locals as well as a great number of visitors.

Still, if Snowy Mountians people were to raise it as an issue in the byelection, then their potential candidates would consider putting it on their list of commitments.

Reactions: climberman

BlueHue

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 17, 2003
South of Cooma
Gone!

Best outcome for the SAP would be for it to be run by Kean, or second-best by Stokes.

It's a vexed question this. The SAP has some good stuff in it (more potential to solve problems regularly on the minds of locals than what many realise) and some troubling stuff. The move to four season and willingness to invest in that shift is a huge benefit for local business for obvious reasons ie.mtn bike and adventure park using surplus snowy hydro land, identifying and providing strategic planning around future growth and coupled need for better tourism accom, acknowledging that without the right mechanisms in place that growth will still fail to help locals (and growth is coming whether those in town who want rural Jindy like it or not), the public transport potential and making more out of Jindy Sport and area to provide winter athlete training along with increase educational/vocational offerings and community facilities.

I hope it does not get derailed but rather in an ideal world most of the over done crap like development beyond disturbed parts of village centres in KNP gets dialled back along with West Jindabyne foreshore.

crackson

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 20, 2006
Yet we are admistered by inbred blowfly farmers whose only interest in Jindy is to sell everything to developer mates for fat bags of cash.

Reactions: Alleve and Dropbear
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Dropbear

One of Us
Aug 4, 2010
Northern Beaches
It's a vexed question this. The SAP has some good stuff in it (more potential to solve problems regularly on the minds of locals than what many realise) and some troubling stuff. The move to four season and willingness to invest in that shift is a huge benefit for local business for obvious reasons ie.mtn bike and adventure park using surplus snowy hydro land, identifying and providing strategic planning around future growth and coupled need for better tourism accom, acknowledging that without the right mechanisms in place that growth will still fail to help locals (and growth is coming whether those in town who want rural Jindy like it or not), the public transport potential and making more out of Jindy Sport and area to provide winter athlete training along with increase educational/vocational offerings and community facilities.

I hope it does not get derailed but rather in an ideal world most of the over done crap like development beyond disturbed parts of village centres in KNP gets dialled back along with West Jindabyne foreshore.

I agree.

Expanding the master plan from Jindabyne to the whole Snowy Mountains was a good idea... in principle.

But expanding the study area to include a substantial part of the national park comes with the massive responsibility to make a positive plan for the future of the park.

I don't think they've upheld this level of responsibility.

The plans for helicopters and the like are in direct conflict with the stated vision and principles of the SAP for one thing. And the development of the park was proposed without adequate justification for its scale, and without adequate consideration for what impacts this development would have.

Ultimately, Bruz coming in with bags of cash for a quick regional master plan isn't the sort of leadership that could produce a good long-term planning outcome.

At this point, the SAP could be salvageable by a concerned environmentalist like Kean or an astute planner like Stokes, but they would have a lot of work to do to achieve a more coherent outcome. Or, if it continued in its current state, then that would be shameful. Or the SAP could be quietly shelved, which would be a pity as well as a relief.

Alleve

One of Us
Jun 17, 2019
Southern Sydney
SAP is dead.

Nobody will touch Guido's rort now ICAC are sniffing around.
I wonder how much of Barilaro's decision to step down was related to ICAC. Maybe he thinks he's next? He went out on TV and said he decided to step down largely because of his lawsuit with Jordan Shanks, and while I have no doubt that's part of it, it seems strange that a lawsuit Barilaro started would be what gets him to resign. I personally wouldn't be surprised if there's more going on behind the scenes that we won't hear about until ICAC eventually says something.

Dropbear

One of Us
Aug 4, 2010
Northern Beaches
Matt Kean has done heaps in my Hornsby Shire.
He is also a very keen MTBer.

Oh nice. I've seen the MTB trails up around Hornsby, but I didn't know Kean was involved.

Can you please get in touch with him Billy, and ask him to protect the Kosciuszko environment by reducing proposed developments in the SAP, and also by rescinding Bruz' brumby bill? I've previously pointed out these things will affect my vote, but this kind of message is always more convincing when it comes from a local!

Kean might have a bit of a different involvement now that he's Treasurer, but he should hopefully have a fair bit to say to whoever becomes the next Environment Minister.

Kean's contact details are here.

Billy_Buttons

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Mar 25, 2011
Oh nice. I've seen the MTB trails up around Hornsby, but I didn't know Kean was involved.

Can you please get in touch with him Billy, and ask him to protect the Kosciuszko environment by reducing proposed developments in the SAP, and also by rescinding Bruz' brumby bill? I've previously pointed out these things will affect my vote, but this kind of message is always more convincing when it comes from a local!

Kean might have a bit of a different involvement now that he's Treasurer, but he should hopefully have a fair bit to say to whoever becomes the next Environment Minister.

Kean's contact details are here.
He's known to have butted heads with Bruz.

Rivetto

One of Us
Jun 26, 2014
Canberra
Perhaps Mario quit so he can focus on completing that Cert IV he has been struggling with?

Qualifications, Occupations and Interests
Currently working towards completion of Certificate IV, Frontline Business Management with the Housing Industry Association. Certificate IV, Quantative and Tendering, Housing Industry Association, 2003. Certificate IV, Construction and Building Services, Housing Industry Association, 2003. Year 12 Certificate, St Edmunds College, 1989.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass