Scanning slides

GS

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 20, 2004
Yarra Valley Vic
I have a considerable collection of slides accumulated over the years that I keep 'planning'
rolleyes.gif
to scan for safe storage. I borrowed a dedicated scanner and although the results were good, the time required is simply ridiculous.

Anyway....I have been experimenting by using the digi camera as a 'scanner' and have finally started getting reasonable results....
cradle2Medium.jpg

This is straight from the camera with only cropping to square up the edges. My camera uses wide angle in macro mode and hence curves any straight lines. A DSLR would give great results I think.

So if you're like me and have heaps of slides to scan, I can recommend this method.....it is way faster than a scanner
thumbsup.gif

beer.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

maelgwn

Hard Yards
Sep 19, 2005
Adelaide
mmm Colour looks way off, seems to lack contrast/depth??

Are you taking a photo of a backlight slide? Or some other way?

Heinz

Fully vaccinated but nowhere to go
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Now he tells me.
smile.gif

I bought my own scanner and spent the last year on and off scanning around 4000 old slides / prints. Sure, took a while but am generally happy with the results.

GS

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 20, 2004
Yarra Valley Vic
Taking photo of backlit slide.
Agreed colour could be better, that one was taken using a slightly overcast sky which included reasonable smoke haze as the backlight. Next step is to use some sort of artificial light inside. Not sure what to do about the perceived depth, would different exposure help that? Bear in mind some of these slides are quite old and have certainly deteriorated.

maelgwn

Hard Yards
Sep 19, 2005
Adelaide
GS said:
Agreed colour could be better, that one was taken using a slightly overcast sky which included reasonable smoke haze as the backlight. Next step is to use some sort of artificial light inside. Not sure what to do about the perceived depth, would different exposure help that? Bear in mind some of these slides are quite old and have certainly deteriorated.

O, by depth i meant depth of colour if you get what I mean.

Have you tried the technique on a slide in good condition or with good colour?

Ziggy

A Local
Aug 24, 2003
In the days of film SLRs there were slide copiers around IIRC. Wonder if they still are.

Anyway, scanners vary a lot in speed. There's a great deal of information in a slide and generally slower scanning gives better results all other things equal.

An alternative is just to pick out your best shots and use a commercial drum-scanner service.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass