Scarpa Boot Sizing US v's EU??

BerKo

Hard Yards
Jul 15, 2008
Melbourne
Hi All,

I am a fairly big foot (12.5/13UK) and am in the market for AT boots. I found the Scarpa MAESTRALE comes in big sizes so am trying to work out where to source them.

After going on the "international" Scarpa site I have worked out I am a 31.5 mondo boot size - this is what i usually ski in so it makes sense. See sizing chart from the scarpa inernational site below:
sizing_chart.jpg

However if i look on the US site - it would seem to indicate I am a 30.5 or a 31. See the US chart below:
scarpaus.gif

Has anyone bought Scarpa boots from the US? If so can someone confirm that the company runs different sizes?

Cheers,

Richard

Last edited by a moderator:

Ziggy

A Local
Aug 24, 2003
Scarpa do use diff lasts for diff markets so you are wise to ask the question.

'fraid I can't answer it though.

The last is about the shape of the boot. MP should be universal: it's the measure in CM of foot length*. Half a mondo point is only 5mm. Could be important but if the boot comes with a thermoliner prob not.

There's also the matter that the shell and the liner vary in their increments; again, with a thermoliner this should not be an issue.

So IMO the last used and your foot shape is as impt as foot length sizing. Where have you been sourcing your 31.5s?

Maybe send Scarpa an email?

* the US military have enough purchasing power to specify foot width which is also part of the MP standard

BerKo

Hard Yards
Jul 15, 2008
Melbourne
Cheers Ziggy - I will have a read of those links now. I have also shot Scarpa a mail so hopefully they can confirm the difference.

These will actually be the first pair of boots I will be buying. I have usually fitted Mondo point 31.5 whenever I have hired downhill boots of all different brands.

Its a fair chunk of money so I am keen to make sure I get the right size. I will reply once i get a response from Scarpa in North America.

Ziggy

A Local
Aug 24, 2003
Happy to be of use.

So your 31.5s have been hired here in Aus?

FWIW I've bought Scarpa T2xs from Europe and the length was right for me: Aus 8.5 my normal size, Euro 42, MP27. Ditto T3s bought locally from PP and Salamon skating boots from Snowgum Wodonga.

I have to say that with fit-critical stuff I no longer buy from o/s. Have wasted too much money on gear just a bit out or more than a bit compromised re quality. Returns are not cost-effective.

Cry once is now my motto.

Pay the extra; you get the fitting, the advice and you sustain local expertise.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

mauricem

Addicted
Ski Pass
Jun 27, 2010
Sunshine Coast
My feet are UK 11.5 and fairly wide, I've had Scarpas in 28.5 and 29.5, The 28.5 was definitely a better fit. Also be aware Scarpa split sizes differently to most eg 29.5 and 30 use the same shell as do 30.5 and 31.

You should also consider Scarpa boots are made from Pebax which cant be punched as agressively as PU boots so you'll need to get the shell fit as close as possible to start

BerKo

Hard Yards
Jul 15, 2008
Melbourne
Got a reply from Scarpa on this:

Hi Richard,

The chart you see on the North American site is our recommended sizing, whereas the chart on Scarpa Italy’s site is a direct conversion. Our chart automatically downsizes one size for a proper fit. You would want to order a 30.5 for a comfort fit or potentially a 30 for a high performance fit. A 31.5 would be too big. I do apologize for the confusion. Are you ordering in the US? Or from Australia? We, are unfortunately, under contract to only ship to North America but there are several dealers in Australia listed on Scarpa Italy’s site: http://www.en.scarpa.net.

<name removed>

Direct Sales Representative

SCARPA North America, Inc.

BerKo

Hard Yards
Jul 15, 2008
Melbourne
If this is the case I might be able to source my size locally which means I can get fitted properly
smile.gif

Ziggy

A Local
Aug 24, 2003
Way to go. End of season sales are happening; even if not advertised ask for 20% off.

Geez and I thought MP was a universal, and logical, measure.

BerKo

Hard Yards
Jul 15, 2008
Melbourne
Tried on Dynafit 31 mondo boots in Bogong and they were slightly too small. Spewing because they had a good deal on.

I am now certain I am a 31.5 mondo in "normal" sizing. My next question is where is the best place to go for AT boots/selection?

Cheers,

Richard

Ziggy

A Local
Aug 24, 2003
Not sure not being an ATer. Could call Ajays, EMC or the Wilderness Shop.

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
As far as I can tell no one in Oz has a "range". Various shops have some sizes in some models, or in some instances 1 size in 1 model gathering dust. That said, certainly Wilderness Sports has been increasing their range over the last couple of years to have some Garmots and some Dynafits. That is if they have not sold out.

Ziggy

A Local
Aug 24, 2003
Good to hear that AT retail options are increasing somewhere.

Richard sounds Vic-based so Jindy would be a hike unless he wants to get some runs in up there .... could be a good excuse, sorry, reason, to get out again ;-}

I'd expect Bruce might be open to sending down something for a test on carpet around the house, and return if no good at Richard's expense.

If good, Richard could get them thermoformed at a Melb shop for a fee.

satanas

Addicted
May 26, 2005
Scarpa sizing seems to be quite consistent across most of their boots, including all the tele boots, the F1/F3, and the Maestrale (but I'm going on rumours at Wildsnow etc about the latter). I reckon if you can figure out the right shell size for any of these boots (but not necessarily any of the other AT boots, which have a quite different last), then you should be okay.

Note that it is *difficult* to make extra toe room if the shell is verging on being too short, and up-sizing may mean too much volume. If you are ever likely to walk downhill, then making sure the boots aren't a "performance" fit may save you a lot of discomfort. Bear in mind that Dynafit and Garmont change shell sizes half a size apart from Scarpa, so it might be easier to get the correct length fr your foot in another brand. Personally, I'd think twice before getting Scarpa again when the TLT5s have enough extra length to eliminate toe room issues for me.

What fits will vary with different people and feet, so trying on is highly recommended!

BerKo

Hard Yards
Jul 15, 2008
Melbourne
Just a follow up not to say I took a punt and ordered size 31.5 scarpa boots from US. As I mentioned above this is my usual mondo size. The Scarpa boots fit me perfectly (thank God).

Scarpa actually have a pair of 31.5 MAESTRALE boots in aus now. So if there is anyone with size 14 (31.5) boots they are trying to get rid of them - at about $300 less than I paid!

BerKo

Hard Yards
Jul 15, 2008
Melbourne
not yet unfortunately....I am dying to see what they are like. I guess that will be the true test of how they fit too
smile.gif

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass