Scarpa boot sizings...

Snarbrite

First Runs
Jun 25, 2007
Hi there,

Just starting to get setup for a little back country and am having some difficulties with buying boots. My preference was probably to hire some different boots and see how they go, but I am finding that all hire places in melbourne don't go any larger than a 30.5. My estimation is that I will need at least a 31. I have tried on a T2 from a few seasons ago and I got a lecture about how scarpa sizings are all screwy and not to trust anything written on a box. The boot had a sticker on it saying it was 30.5 and US 12.5 yet was 8mm longer in the shell than a 30.5 garmont. Does anybody know what a 13 US is on a scarpa T2X modpoint scale? I understand that they are reclassifying their sizings... I had also heard there is a store in jindabyne that just sells boots... does anyone know what it is called?

Any help would be appreciated.

Bogong

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Beware, Scarpa's are narrow - really narrow. This means if you grew up in bare feet and/or wearing thongs like most Australian kids, they are unlikely to fit you. Australians tend to have much wider feet than people of the same genetic stock in Europe.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ro

First Runs
Jun 26, 2003
Shoalhaven
If you cant buy local and try things on I recommend getting the store your dealing with to measure the footbed of the boot shell before you buy. Read up on boot fitting but I understand the footbed length of the shell should be about 2cm longer than your foot. Good luck

shauno

Addicted
Mar 27, 2006
Canberra
I have a pair of Scarpas and honestly its taken more then 6 months to break in. I'll be looking elsewhere next time.

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
Scarpas are available in Jindabyne from Paddy Pallin or the Mountain Adventure Centre (same place 2 names). Their website is at http://www.mountainadventurecentre.com.au/ They appear to have the Scarpa T2X to 31.

Garmont are available from Wilderness Sports. Looking at their webpage at http://www.wildernesssports.com.au/ they have the Garmont Evo to 30.5 and a pair of Garmont Squadra in 29. It is worth trying these boots even though the number is not quite right because of the way the shell and liner systems work people often find they fit a different number to what is expected.

Amything above 30 is hard to find. There maybe only 1 or 2 in this size brought into the country in any given brand / model.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Rolo

One of Us
Jul 28, 1998
ACT
Pretty sure that Canberra Ski & Board Centre had some Garmont's in big'ish sizes last time I was in there, Syner-G and possibly Ener-G. Might have had big Syner-G's in hire, too.

Location, Snarbite?

JimiT

First Runs
May 6, 2004
Scarpa's USED to be narrow. All their newer models (both ski & mountain boots) are quite a bit wider now. eg: Spirit 3 & Spirit 4 AT boots are much higher volume than Garmont Mega-rides.

also, its hard to compare Scarpa & Garmont sizes directly because the shell size changes at different points. ie Garmont 28 & 28.5 are the same shell size, whereas Scarpa 28.5 & 29 are the same shell.

you have to go with the best fit, & FIT THE SHELL not the liner. the liners should be verging on painfull prior to heat molding - even after molding they will pack out another 15% or so (after about a week of skiing).

also remember Scarpa liners are generally thicker than Garmont - so you want a bit more space in the shell of a Scarpa boot (2 fingers behind the heel when standing up is a good starting point).

Ro

First Runs
Jun 26, 2003
Shoalhaven
JimiT said:
Scarpa's USED to be narrow. All their newer models (both ski & mountain boots) are quite a bit wider now. eg: Spirit 3 & Spirit 4 AT boots are much higher volume than Garmont Mega-rides.

Where do you get this info from? I just bought a set of Mega Rides for the mrs as she has a wide foot, was all done over the www but everyone said Scarpa was narrower.

JimiT

First Runs
May 6, 2004
I live in Alberta (Canada) & until recently, worked in gear stores here. fitted & molded loads of boots for guides, wardens & patrollers etc who wear their boots all day every day.

my feet are quite wide also, but I have Mega-rides & they fit perfect. I didn't like the postion of the middle buckle on the Spirit 3 (although lots of people do like it). For me, Scarpa's fitted better across the top of the foot/toes, but my shins are skinny so the upper boot didn't fit properly. I should also say, it took ~10 days of skiing for my Mega-rides to pack out to that perfect fit - in retrospect I'm glad I didn't go touring on them before this.

I'm not sure if the existing Scarpa models (eg Denali) have changed, like i said just the newer models that are coming out.

Snarbrite

First Runs
Jun 25, 2007
Many thanks to all of you for taking the time to reply. I think I might venture further north (than melbourne) in search of boots. I think you have all offered sufficient wisdom to discourage me from taking a stab at buying them online.

Thanks again!

Snarbrite.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass