1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Question Schlink Hut Walk in Spring

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by Total Whiteout, Aug 14, 2018.

1. Total Whiteout

Total Whiteout Addicted

A friend and I are planning a ski tour in the Snowies for Sept.

We were thinking of skiing from Guthega Power Station to Schlink Hut as an overnight return (via Horse Camp and White River Huts.

I'm not very familiar with the snowies, so is this an enjoyable route for ski touring?

And what's the road into Guthega Power Station like?

2. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

The road to the power station is sealed. It gets interesting up to Guthega.

It is a lovely ski.You can go up the road or up the aqueducts. All are fine. A bit steep out of the power station (and if it is icy it can be hairy downhill) but after that it is a wide undulating valley.

skifree likes this.
  3. Telestrom

Telestrom A Local

Depending on the date in September, expect to do a certain amount of walking from the power station before you have enough snow to put the skis on.

Mister Tee on XC Skis likes this.
  4. Ian

Ian Addicted Ski Pass: Gold

You have to go up and over Schlink Pass ~1800m and a bit further down the road before you get to the hut. In windy weather this can get pretty gnarly if you're not used to it. Take goggles and a face mask if the reports indicate windy conditions. Schlink Hut would be a great spot to ride out a storm, shame the door is at the exposed end.

5. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mister Tee on XC Skis A Local Ski Pass: Silver

Early-Mid September would be better.The Road into Guthega Power Station is sealed and open all year round. The car park there holds about 15 cars.

Take wheel chains just in case.

The Bridge over the Munyang river is busted. If you want to make a loop of the tour and stop at Disappointment spur hut then you will have to do a river crossing near the Power station. It was easy to do during Easter 2018 but in Spring it might become more interesting.

I am still tossing up the notion of a KNP trip to Charlotte Pass using the over snow cat and car camping at Island Bend. If the forecast looks good then I would drive up on a Sunday , on the Monday go to C.P. and ski out to Seaman's hut and back and drive back to Melb. on the Tuesday.

6. zac150

zac150 One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Thomas to try an answer your question.

Guthega power station is a very popular start point for ventures into the snowy and the trip into schlink is a popular one, more so when both aqueducts are open as Mr T said.

What makes it popular is that their are huts, horse camp, whites and the Hilton roughly 4km apart, so snow, weather depending you can pull in at various huts along the way.

We have always liked to get up to Guthega on the Friday and when possible ski into horse camp, this gets you up the first big climb which leaves more energy for afternoon adventures. In my uni days we often arrived late at night having left Canberra at 5pm.

A couple of options I would consider include stopping at Whites for the night. It’s a much nicer hut than the Hilton and dropping the pack early gives you plenty of time to explore (especially if you have managed to get to horse camp on the Friday). From whites you can head up onto the rolling ground or dicky Cooper bogong or head up onto the kerries before looping back to the hut.

Alternatively to make a nicer loop, get onto the aqueduct before horse camp hut. At the top of the switchbacks at Munyang there is a track to the surge tank that links to the aqueduct, which you can follow most of the way to whites river.

#6 zac150, Aug 20, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
  7. Untele-whippet

Untele-whippet beard stroker Ski Pass: Gold

Don’t forget access via Disappointment Spur and the hut from the power station.

8. zac150

The bridge to disappointment spur is shut, has been for a few years. To be honest it’s looking in pretty bad nick and I wouldn’t be surprised if it didn’t last the next big flood. As mr t said you may need to cross the river by climbing down and back up.

I tried to see if you could follow the river down to the junction with the snowy to cross there or at least further down where the banks aren’t as steep but couldn’t see anything obvious.

If I head that way it would be on the way back so that if you got wet you could change quick.

I’m guessing water will be up in the melt.

That said that aqueduct is higher so tends to have better snow.

9. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mister Tee on XC Skis A Local Ski Pass: Silver

Any river crossings should be done on day one and if they are too tricky then go to plan B.

10. zac150

Might have to agree to disagree on this, I wouldn’t say that as a steadfast rule. The decision to cross that river would be dependent on many factors such as weather, water flow and if you could see a safe option (in and out).

Personally I’d scope it more on the way out to see if it could be done.

If you get wet trying to get out the other side then your weekend could be over before it begun, losing time getting changed, drying out etc and disappointment spur hut offers only a roof.

Coming back, if you have spotted a crossing location your only risk is water possibly increasing (and you wouldn’t go that way if it had rained). At least coming back your 100m from a car with warm gear.

11. Ian

You definitely don't want to fall into the Munyang R at that bridge with a pack on your back.

zac150 likes this.
  12. zac150

Agree!

It’s actually looks best to head down toward the junction with the snowy, the bank on the far side looks steep but on the power station side is a pretty flat climb out.

13. Kletterer

Kletterer Thredbo Doughnut Tragic Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

14. Ian

I've never skiied it, but you could take a shortcut up to the Disappointment Spur Hut track from the Irish culvert just upstream of Horse Camp Hut. It's about half as far as going almost to Whites R and back.