1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Advice needed School holiday airfares and savings

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Slbevis, Apr 10, 2018.

1. Slbevis

Slbevis First Runs

Hi Guys,

Looking to head back to Japan for the second time but this time it has to be in school holiday season (early Jan for 2 weeks or so).

Last trip was early Feb and we were able to get a Jestar sale but I haven't ever seen Jetstar put early Jan on sale. Should I expect sales from JAL or anyone else for this period (Melb-Tokyo)? Fares are currently sitting around $900-$1000.

Also, any other advice for keeping the costs down for this peak period? In general is accommodation much more expensive than Feb?

Thanks!

Snowdayyy likes this.
  2. skichanger

skichanger A Local Ski Pass: Gold

I would jump on fares at that sort of price. They are only likely to go up. When I have looked at Qantas ares in that period they have been more.

Accommodation varies. Some charge more for Jan than Feb, some it is the same. It is something we will be reviewing. Season just gone we got far higher occupancy in Feb but only charged a little less. Another place also got far higher occupancy in Feb but charged the same. March - occupancy dived. But for beginners and park skiers/boarders it was a better tome to go.

grantn and Slbevis like this.
  3. Zimbooo

Zimbooo One of Us

Slbevis and Snowdayyy like this.
  4. grantn

grantn Addicted

I second skichanger. $1000 is as good as you are going to get for the first 2 weeks of Jan. I have never seen Jetstar discount that period, mainly because its peak period and they don't have to. My advice to keep costs down is to stay in a local pension, that possibly doesn't get listed on the big western booking sites. They won't always be cheaper, but in many cases are.

5. Shrike

Shrike Hard Yards

You just missed Qantas sale for flights in Jan, I managed to get a flight into Narita for 350 (could have booked return for 700)

6. Tanuki

Tanuki A Local Ski Pass: Gold

The sub $1000 JAL flights are as cheap as it will get IMO. You could wait for a sale that might get some something slightly cheaper, but you might want in vain and miss the JAL deal.

7. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

Seriously... LOCK IT IN DANO!

It’s a good price.
    And as snow addicts no one here is gonna encourage you to NOT go LOL

8. Beerman

Beerman One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

The flight price is good, BUY it.
    As for Accommodation, the prices will be fixed for the season, once the owners have put this season to bed, there will be no discounting because February or March has arrived, etc.