1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

School me on xc touring skis

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by Red_switch, Sep 4, 2019.

1. Red_switch

Red_switch Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: 30 Day

Ok, so not all that far from where I live is one of the snowier locales in NZ. Problem is, it's all flat (kudos to anyone that can guess where I'm talking about). I'm seriously thinking about getting some xc touring gear for next winter so that I can shoot up there for half a day of fanging about when other things limit my abilities to get into the big mountains.

I'd want something fairly light. But it needs to handle unprepared trails (there are networks of old dirt roads which would facilitate much of the skiing). Steel edges I'm assuming?

What about boots?

Ideally something that would be happy hooning about at snowfarm if I ever needed it to.

Chaeron likes this.
  2. teckel

teckel Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

3/4 metal edge? (lighter than a full metal edge) Like the Madshus Voss/BC50?

3. N0frilz

N0frilz Hard Yards

Rock and pillar range.

4. Red_switch

Nah, R&P is good for downhill, but is often pretty skint for snow.

I'm talking Lammermoor/Lammerlaw.

5. N0frilz

N0frilz Hard Yards

And the range you’re talking about would have on average even less snow than r&p being what about 200m lower.

6. Red_switch

That's what you'd think eh ;)

7. N0frilz

N0frilz Hard Yards

Having spent time and know people who are up there regularly I think I have enough of an idea.

8. teleroo

teleroo One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Need to decide whether you genuinely want to stick to "flat". If answer is yes, then get a set of full metal edge XC skis, pattern base. Metal edges always a good idea unless skiing in Norway or somewhere where there is no freeze thaw cycle. NNN-BC is ok but I still prefer 75mm Nordic Norm.

But if you think you'll be into a bit of rolling/downhill somewhere along they way then get some Voile pattern base skis. Again, I like the 75mm bindings with the Scott Excursion boot (or similar) with a Voile Mountaineer binding. KISS. This would be a good setup for rolling hills, some up, some down. But my preference is usually for heavier gear rather than lighter gear.

snowgum, malas1 and piolet like this.
  9. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

Hi Red.

I agree with Teleroo & others here.

Definitely look at the Excursions, mine are 11 years but not a lot of days, and still in good nic.

They're perfect for light - medium BC terrain and most trails.

Fwiw: I have the thermofit liners & moulded footbeds - it all helps for comfort.

Go with a good 75mm binding - I have old fashioned Voile release kits on my xc skis. Finding gear might be fun in NZ?

On my release plates I use Voile Hardwire cable only (cant buy new these days) bindings - a good solid binding for turns as well as touring. The 3 pin & cable is still sold And would be worth looking into.

The Voile Switchback has v good reviews, there’s a heavier V2 model too. But its not a heavy binding per se.

I have mounted a Rotefella Cobra R8 recently on a release plate but it would work happily without. Yet to test properly but precursors - Rivas & Chillis were all pretty solid in Oz.

A lot of friends here ski on G3 Targas - they seem good for Xc/BC - possibly a bit light for lifts but that wont bother you!

My old Morottos arent sold anymore but the crew here will suggest some models.

As you know something with a bit of width would be nice for turning.

I think Ross to a pattern / edged ski with a 125mm shovel & waist about 80ish.

I recall Rossi do 2-3 narrower models too from pure groomed trail to more off.

Madshus are well liked here & I think Fischer do 1-2 wider xc models too.

I’d consider getting some BD kicker skins for icy days - they're quite light and glide a bit on undulations.

Good luck with search - I’d love to do some xc in NZ. Have been limited to Snowfarm but you’ve got so much scope if avi danger is low!

SG:

Red_switch likes this.
  10. teleroo

Bruce from Wilderness Sports Jindabyne ships to NZ. Could also try Rhythm Snowsports Cooma. If you wanted to speak with a knowledgeable person at either store, PM me for a recommendation. Because the, I think it is hard to get cc/tele stuff in NZ.

11. Red_switch

It's ok, I know the area well, and have good data to boot.

12. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

A couple of example links - I note the Annums seem to be off the current Madshus list so have provided a link to an older model - certainly no suggestion you buy through Sweden/Norway!!

https://www.rossignol.com/int-en/rhiqr01-000.html

https://scandinavianoutdoor.com/mad...MIt67bzvW_5AIVmR0rCh3law-dEAMYAiAAEgJCPvD_BwE

Fwiw: I wonder whether the BC120s could be too wide if one was mainly on trail - bloody handy for some BC turns once up high / in fresher snow??

The Annum 78 or especially the BC100 (60+ waist) would be more suitable for trails. (Sorry haven't skied any of these)! One day!

13. rowdyflat

rowdyflat One of Us

Obviously depends if u ever want to do some runs?if so Annums are versatile great

Chaeron and snowgum like this.
  14. rowdyflat

rowdyflat One of Us

Was in car so above post was cutoff.
    I always want some downhill action so have Karhu Guides = Annum + T4 boots for rolling stuff.
    If you arent going to do runs ever = the Eons are OK with a light boot ask Ziggy.

Chaeron likes this.
  15. pegasusSki

pegasusSki Hard Yards

Seems Annums are the AU Gold standard - you seem 'em everywhere from old sweats to newbies.

16. mholling

mholling Hard Yards

Woah, everyone's suggesting wide skis, but for flats, how about something more modest? I have Madshus Glittertind, 68-55-62mm (since renamed to BC 55 MGV+, and apparently Panorama M55 in the current lineup). A widely liked ski, good for distance and for surviving slopes without to much drama. Or how about Fischer E99 for a similar ski? Pair with NNN-BC manual bindings and a boot with decent cuff e.g. Madshus Glittertind, Fischer BCX 6 etc.

17. Chaeron

Chaeron One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I swear by my Annums - have them in the Karhu Guide and Madshus Annum branding.

Great for terrain- but then have kicker and full length skins for when needed.

I have them mounted with tech bindings and am happy to tour a 20km+ day with them.

BUT for quicker and further touring a narrower metal-edged ski such as the Eon or Epoch would undoubtedly be more advantageous....

Mister Tee on XC Skis and Ziggy like this.
  18. Ziggy

Ziggy A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Skinny skis are great for covering ground on firm snow - parallel or close to it sides, narrowish, double camber.
    But if you want to turn smoothly or need to travel on soft snow ...
    Double v single camber marks the divide to my mind.

Chaeron likes this.
  19. Ziggy

Yep.
    You can even drive Epochs with a beefy NNN-BC boot like the Madshus Glittertind but have to work the edges on hardpack.

20. Ziggy

Or this: https://www.wildernesssports.com.au/collections/back-country/products/rossignol-bc-110-positrack-ski

Chaeron likes this.
  21. Chaeron

22. Ziggy

Yes. Softer flex than the Fischer 112 which is no longer made I think.

The Rossi interest me for their balance of glide and grip; a friend has them.

Chaeron likes this.
  23. Chaeron

They look like a great ski.... especially if they turn out to be stiffer than the Annums.

Ziggy likes this.
  24. rowdyflat

rowdyflat One of Us

I wish we had something like the Annums back in the 80s instead of the Karhu XCDs .
    Progression would have been quicker .
    Still that's evolution.

25. Ziggy

Karhu Kodiaks - good for tour shuffling.
    Later Karhu XCD Supremes, waxing, with big fish scales cut by a local. Lord they went like a cut snake on hardpack. My son still has them.

26. teleroo

And in case anyone reads this in the future, the Tukino lift pass includes harness and nutcracker I am told, so no need to hire these as extras.

27. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mister Tee on XC Skis A Local Ski Pass: Silver

Madshus Epoch skis with NNN-BC manual bindings and a boot with decent cuff such as the Fischer BCX 6 is the set up that works for me skiing the back country.