Event SE Aus Cut Off Low & Severe WX for 7-10th June

Untele-whippet

beard stroker
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2006
Blue Mtns, 1100M.
Still snowing when I left work at Katoomba all the way to Mt Vic, with snow on the ground the whole way. Heaps of tourists doing the snow play thing along the way.
Temp maxed out at 0.9 C at Mt Boyce today and is falling again. If it gets below zero the GWHwy will be a black skating rink.
5B11FD29-BC0C-4718-B766-571931FFEEC7.jpeg
EDA7227F-2D72-4F94-AB21-328A51029297.jpeg

Wavey

One of Us
Jul 3, 2019
Wollongong, NSW
At Bellambi? That would be so nice to see. I really hate that it never snows down to sea level in Australia. I wish we were more like other countries where even the beach resorts get an occasional dump in the right conditions.

Has it ever snowed in Sydney CBD or Wollongong?
Sorry snow for the Southern Highlands I mean.

davidg

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 4, 2009
Lower BM's
Orange Airport (elev. 949 metres) can be viewed live through this webcam: https://www.orange.skycam.net.au/

===

Sydney has “lost” the opportunity for a new June record low maximum after it “soared” to 10.3° earlier this afternoon. It is now back to 9.4°.

Meanwhile Penrith (25 years of record) is still tracking well below its all time record low max for any month (8.3° vs 11.2°). Bankstown is equaling its all time low max (9.6°, 52 years of record).

What normally happens on days like today (stays very cold during the day) is that the cold air doesn’t stick around for too long, soon being replaced by an injection of warmer air, often from the SE. The record then shows an unremarkable maximum like 14 or 15. We’ll see at 9:00.
Will be surprised if that happens out this way to be honest. Fog is forecast for the morning out west which normally keeps a lid on temps until at least 10am. Fingers crossed but it does look pretty likely to stay single digits until 9am.

I probably just jinxed it so you can all blame me when it shoots up to 14c by 8:30am and ruins the fun :D

Reactions: Homer and Steve777

Donza

Dogs body...
Ski Pass
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Will be surprised if that happens out this way to be honest. Fog is forecast for the morning out west which normally keeps a lid on temps until at least 10am. Fingers crossed but it does look pretty likely to stay single digits until 9am.

I probably just jinxed it so you can all blame me when it shoots up to 14c by 8:30am and ruins the fun :D
500hpa cold pool is over sydney at 7am tomorrow.
-26 to -28.

That is decent enough.

Reactions: Homer and davidg

Steve777

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Artarmon, Sydney North Shore
There’s been steady but very light rain in Sydney since mid morning, adding up to about 3 mm at most sites. The Terry Hills radar is definitely over-reading.

It’s been solidly overcast here since a cloud band rolled over shortly after sunrise. It brightened a little around 2:00 PM, with the Sun bright enough through translucent cloud to cast weak shadows. That probably allowed it to get above 10° at OH and Olympic Park. It’s now back to 8.8° at both sites.

davidg

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 4, 2009
Lower BM's
Looks like we maxed out at 7.5c in Glenbrook with 12mm of rainfall since midnight thus far.

Mt Boyce with a max of 1.0c at 2:17pm. That's proper cold and would break the low max record for any month for that site (records since 1995). Wouldn't be far off the all time record for the Katoomba site either, for June at least

Billy Bob

Hard Yards
Nov 23, 2020
Bungendore
You can see the 'Pineapple Express' deep subtropical feed that ends up in VIC and explains the ECL-like carnage down there. But it just avoids the Monaro and the Snowies, bringing a feast to the NSW resorts but a soggy famine for those in VIC. A unique system that's for sure.

It's a pity the band that affected the BMs and Sydney today didn't materialise over my region. I am starting to think that I will never see snow here. The NNW is the one direction that Bungendore isn't rain shadowed, and may have produced quite a surprise. The likelihood of a settling snowfall here is very remote to say the least, probably more remote than Bathurst, at the same elevation but better exposed to cold airmasses. There have been decent falls in ECLs in the past but I think the Tasman Sea is too warm for those to occur now.

DaveM

One of Us
Aug 18, 2000
Bathurst NSW
Came back from Parramatta today to Bathurst.

wifey sent me photos of snow in Bx this morning.

on trip home we had snowfalls of varying intensity all the way from Lawson in the BM’s to Yetholme.

we stopped at Katoomba, Browntown Oval, Blackheath and Yetholme (for fuel) coming home.
Best snow I’ve seen with my own eyes through Wenty Falls to Mt Vic in my life of driving through there.

best depth was Mt Lambie to Yetholme say 3 to 5 inches in places. Highway near Lambie was snowy but all other places the roads ok.

will try to upload photos if I can

48D27B89-BB40-418B-ADB9-62D9125F350A.jpeg

Billy Bob

Hard Yards
Nov 23, 2020
Bungendore
Still plenty of snow at Oberon. Those cold temps are hanging on up there with Mt Boyce still below 1C. Sunny Corner would still have plenty as well. The southern parts of the OP may have actually got less this time around, due to the NNW trajectory of the precip band. Has anyone been out there to have a look?

Balmier down here in the moist SE'ly feed. The hills around here copped some very handy rain overnight, which has led to low level flooding this morning. Only 15 mm in Bungendore itself but you can double (even triple) that for the hills to the SE.

Steve777

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
It looks like most of yesterday's low maxima have survived the 9:00 reset, including Sydney OH (10.4°), Bankstown (9.6°), Penrith and Richmond (low 8s from memory).

Sydney - coldest day since 1984
Bankstown - equal all time record (53 years)
Penrith - smashed old all-time record.
Richmond - record for current site (27 years). Coldest max for old and new sites since 1957 (when 7.6°).

Trail Blazer

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jun 8, 2000
Jimi on Weatherzone. Pymble, Sydney
Driving over the Blue Mtns this morning I noted the following:

- some snow remaining around Blackheath/Meadlow Bath. Enough to throw snow balls
- 15cm or so at Mt Lambie
- A consistent covering in the higher areas of the GWH (high points a touch over 1,150m).
- The Rocks (between Bathurst and Orange) still had 10cm or so even at the lower points around 800m as of 1:30pm. Not quite as much as Mt Lambie but still a lot for 24 hours after the fall and for such a low altitude. Incredible!
- Almost nothing in Millthorpe (960m)

Photo is from just outside Bathurst

FF210A05-3690-470A-B81F-E16DF2DCE14D.jpeg

Mogul

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 11, 2004
Upper Northern Beaches, Sydney
It looks like most of yesterday's low maxima have survived the 9:00 reset, including Sydney OH (10.4°), Bankstown (9.6°), Penrith and Richmond (low 8s from memory).

Sydney - coldest day since 1984
Bankstown - equal all time record (53 years)
Penrith - smashed old all-time record.
Richmond - record for current site (27 years). Coldest max for old and new sites since 1957 (when 7.6°).
Terrey Hills only reached a maximun of 8.5.

Snowmaker7

One of Us
Jul 25, 2013
Bowral, NSW
Best/nicest pub I've been to in NSW... slightly biased as its only 10 mins down the road;)

Moss Vale ended up surpassing the record June low maximum yesterday morning, reaching 6.4°C i believe just before 9am (record is 5.7). About 15 mins earlier and we would have broken it! My PWS recorded a maximum of 3.9°C from midnight to midnight on Thursday, coldest i have seen it here in 20 years and very impressive for 670masl

Steve777

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Even near sea level around Sydney some sites were impressively cold on Thursday. It was just the right (or wrong) combination: a cold air mass; a fairly clear night allowing low minima; cloud and persistent rain moving a little before dawn and sticking around all day to stop it warming; cloud clearing before midnight to allow another cold morning and fog to foil the 9:00 reset:
  • Penrith: 3.0° to 8.3°
  • Campbelltown -0.3° to 8.6°
  • Badgerys Creek -0.2° to 8.5°
  • Bankstown 2.1° to 9.6°
  • Sydney 6.7° to 10.3°
For those who remember Fahrenheit, Campbelltown and Badgerys came in around 32° to 47°.

Trail Blazer

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jun 8, 2000
Jimi on Weatherzone. Pymble, Sydney
I’m surprised at how well this fall is sticking around on the CTs. Canobolas still looks great and we can find patches lower down here and there. I guess it helps having 15cm instead of 2cm.

Also Kaputar further north still looks the right colour

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass