Season Car Parks Pass Up almost 100% from 2017

Discussion in 'Mt Buller' started by benzerknees, Jul 10, 2018.

1. benzerknees

benzerknees Hard Yards

START RANT:
    Do you know what I love about Japan. Low inflation. The 300 yen bus trip will still be 300 yen next year and the year after and the year after. The ski pass price will stay the same.
    And your Japanese hosts will be apologetic should they put accommodation prices up a few percent.

However in Low inflation, Low wage growth Australia. The $ 250 ish 2017 season car park pass is $500 in 2018. Where are my apologetic Australian hosts to explain the 100% price gouging? Where are the public documents to justify this rise? Whose the key person in charge here? Please explain.

And I don't want to hear you can get cheaper 1 day passes by buying online the day before ....it does not help... but I think that will be their justification.

Born2ski likes this.
  2. skull

skull One of Us

Untele-whippet and cornice11 like this.
  3. emkae

emkae One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

skull likes this.
  4. skull

skull One of Us

No, that would be Victoria.

Untele-whippet likes this.
  5. emkae

emkae One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

Buller thread?

$190 season pass would be nice - not sure how many days at Buller $190 gets you

6. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room
    Ski Pass - Gold

At a meeting with the CEO he explained that they have rejigged the model so that all gate entry subsidises the taxi trips.

It was pointed out to him that this doesn't help day-only visitors and also Stirling visitors and he pretty unapologetically agreed and admitted that they would need more days to pay off their SP and it may make more sense to buy individual gate entry online.

7. skull

skull One of Us

ahh miss that.

Far out, you get ripped off there.

8. wolly

wolly One of Us

I think what you are trying to say is that the mansfield residents pass has been discontinued. Therefore they now have to pay full price. Car season passes were more thsn $250 last year.

9. benzerknees

benzerknees Hard Yards

Thank you for the correction . What I am trying to say is that the residents pass was $255 last year and not discontinued , as I bought one for $450 today. I put the listed price of $500 in the post as that is what can be searched as the current price.
    Anyone remember last years non resident price? $320 at most I think. Not exactly 100% increase , that is why I said "almost 100% " in the thread title. But with inflation at 2 or 3 % a year, I think I can a have whinge even with a little exaggeration.

10. djam

djam One of Us

What happened is they re-balanced the products, to make them fairer to all, and to help the costs of staying
    overnight. The overnight numbers have been falling for years, overnight visitors use less resources, parking
    attendants, free shuttles from the day parks and park lower down, which means taxi costs. This trend to day
    trippers has put a lot of strain on the roads/parking infrastructure. Both days last weekend the resort day car
    parking was full as of around 12:30. Saturday it was taking some 2.5 hours to get up the mountain. As Wolly
    indicated in a post on Saturday. 'Its a shit fight today' Bottom line, the resort is not collecting more money.

11. travelislife

travelislife One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

And it doesn't give you parking/access to any of the other resorts, you have to pay again!

12. Untele-whippet

Untele-whippet beard stroker
    Ski Pass - Gold

Wow, the Vic model is confuddling!
    NSW $190 entrance fee per year for any resort or National Park, then lift tix.
    For me $849 for 365 days access to ski / mtb Thredbo’s lifts, golf course, tennis courts, pool, gym and bob sled.
    Horses for courses, I’d love to ski Buller, Hotham and Falls but ...........
    Good luck.

prcoy likes this.
  13. Ziggy

Ziggy Renormed
    Ski Pass - Gold

We have private enterprise running the resorts. It's clearly superior. If you were a diligent and informed consumer you'd commit the hours to discover and weigh the various offers.
    Falls Creek offers an early bird resort entry discount but doesn't tell you how much it is. You will of course be running a computer model to predict it.

14. SkiMun

SkiMun Part of the Furniture

$500? Geezus. I have been out of a loop a bit this year due to having a baby and just found out about this today. That's a massive increase. Wow. You really need do your math to make sure it makes sense. Even with my staff discount it would still probably be $499.

15. cornice11

cornice11 Hard Yards

me too, but i dont for the same reason.

16. Hermon

Hermon One of Us

Are they trying to raise funds to build a gondola/cable car from Mirambah to the top of the mountain?

17. Dave Clark

Dave Clark Addicted

I think you'll find the issue is the structural model of the Victorian resorts. Unlike NSW they aren't National Parks, they don't get any funding from the government and are told by the state gov to be entirely self-funded. No other LGA in Aus is entirely self-funded without access to grants like the Vic alpine resorts are. It's a broken model and unfairly impacts on the residents, ratepayers and visitors with situations like this.

currawong likes this.
  18. wolly

wolly One of Us

Are you saying buller isnt a national park??

19. djam

djam One of Us

Buller is surrounded by national parks, but is not one.

20. DbSki

DbSki Part of the Furniture
    Ski Pass - Gold

21. DbSki

Ski Pass - Gold

Prices and mid week Day trips
    $44 for car park
    Day lift ticket paid 2 days in advance was $90 = $134 total lift and parking
    Day lift ticket on the day or the day before its $115 = $159 total lift and parking
    Last years Day ticket on the day was $124 and Parking paid at gate was $48 = $172 total lift and parking

Dave Clark likes this.
  22. Dave Clark

Dave Clark Addicted

Jellybeans1000 likes this.
  23. DbSki

Ski Pass - Gold

"state forest" is just name used for crown lands that includes a forest, the crown being the state and previously run by the forests commission.

For examples
    https://www.mansfieldmtbuller.com.au/hiking-walking/

Surrounded by State Forests and National Parks, Mansfield Mt Buller

https://www.ffm.vic.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0020/26219/FS0025-Circuit-Road-Mt.Stirling.pdf

The Circuit Road travels mostly through
    Mansfield State Forest, however some sections
    are within the Alpine Resort.

https://cfaonline.cfa.vic.gov.au/my...=2017/MtBuller-Flyer-V3-00-Nov-2017_78065.pdf

Mt Buller has a VERY HIGH bushfire risk as it is surrounded by National Park and State Forest.

http://www.mbra.asn.au/about

History
    Fifty years ago, most of the ski club lodges at Mt Buller occupied their sites under an annual Permissive Occupancy License. Very few had a formal lease with the opportunity to obtain a lease limited and the process cumbersome. In those days the resort was managed by the Forests Commission of Victoria,

24. Alfred14

Alfred14 Hard Yards

There is a small difference between land designated as a state forest and land that is just owned by the crown.

#24 Alfred14, Aug 1, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
  25. Jellybeans1000

Jellybeans1000 Walking on a dream
    Ski Pass - Gold

They all say surrounded. So Buller isn't a part of a state forest. State Forest is actually a legally defined term, not just any forest owned by the crown, and Buller falls outside of that legal definition.

Dave Clark and Alfred14 like this.
  26. DbSki

Ski Pass - Gold

Buller and Stirling are Resorts that are in the State Forest = they are surround by State Forest.

Using the definition of resorts are Crown land would by that logic mean that Buller and Stirling are Crown land surrounded by Crown land, which is a nonsense.

27. DbSki

Ski Pass - Gold

Crown land is land owned by the Crown, be it State Forest or a Resort.
    The later is the descriptor, the name Crown land is just stating the obvious, a property on side of a road is crown land anywhere it is not private land.

28. Alfred14

Alfred14 Hard Yards

Well sure, but there are legal differences between land designated as 'state forest' and land that has no designation, that was what i was trying to say.

29. Astro66

Astro66 Still looking for a park in Thredbo
    Ski Pass - Gold

Someone raises a genuine distortion of reasonable practice. VIC's get lost in an argument about the difference between State and Crown land.

No wonder they can charge a 100% increase in VIC and get away with it.

On Topic. Ridiculous fee. Buy an Epic Pass.

cornice11 likes this.
  30. Hunter

Hunter Part of the Furniture
    Ski Pass - Gold

Baw Baw, Lake Mountain aside..............

Onlybackscratchers likes this.
  31. Dave Clark

Dave Clark Addicted

Lift pass is nothing to do with entry fee. Best not to conflate the two.

32. travelislife

travelislife One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

Problem is he is kinda right...can’t use one without the other! I know it isn’t Bullers charge, but Buller/Hotham/Falls could lobby the state government for a reasonably priced pass to cover access to all the resorts.

cornice11 likes this.
  33. DbSki

Ski Pass - Gold

Yes I realise that
    Mansfield State Forest is "State forest."

https://www.ffm.vic.gov.au/visiting-state-forests/places-to-visit

https://www.ffm.vic.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0020/26219/FS0025-Circuit-Road-Mt.Stirling.pdf

The brown area is Buller Stirling "Alpine Resort"
    See the green area around the "Alpine Resort", is Mansfield "State Forest"

"The Circuit Road travels mostly through
    Mansfield State Forest, however some sections
    are within the Alpine Resort. "

If you want to insist that State Forest and Alpine Resorts are not legally Crown land than that's fine I am happy to agree, however you may want to point that out to Dave who stated that the resorts are in Crown Land.
    Where I stated the "Resort" was in"State Forest"

34. DbSki

Ski Pass - Gold

You can if you happen to get a lift with someone else who pays the resorts entry fee.
    But that is pretty much useless semantics to consumers since anyone who wanted to use the lifts will have to pay to enter the resort and if they got free entry by way of getting a ride in with someone else then you could say they are gifted a share of entry cost.

35. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty
    Ski Pass - Gold

not 100% sure about this but I think the reason for the very high price of the all resorts pass is that each resort still wants a good cut, not that gov mandates it.
    of course if all resorts had integrated electronic resort entry, then it should be (technically) feasible to apportion fee income retrospectively based on actual usage. don't hold your breath.