1. Coronavirus #StayHome

Official Advice

- People in Australia must stay at least 1.5 metres away from others and gatherings are limited to two people unless you are with your family or household.
    - If you believe you may have contracted the virus, call your doctor (don’t visit) or contact the national Coronavirus Health Information Hotline on 1800 020 080.
    - If you are struggling to breathe or experiencing a medical emergency, call 000.

Information Resources Mental Health Note: This announcement may be closed & This announcement will be reset every few days.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Season pass/Hero pass insurance

Discussion in 'Falls Creek' started by Ziggy, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Ziggy

Ziggy A Local Ski Pass: Gold

I've been trying to track what exactly this covers and been going round in circles between websites, looking for the magic p. 9.

There's an email query in, the second, and I'll report back.

If anyone's been down this track successfully, let us know. TIA.

#1 Ziggy, Apr 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2013
  2. Sh4d0w9

Sh4d0w9 Hard Yards

The magic page 9 contains a whole lot of nothing. From what I establish, it covers any accident, illness or circumstances beyond your control that results in you being unable to use your pass for the remainder of the season. I'd take that as broken bones, severe illness, exceptional family conditions, and I think there was a reference to being able to use it if your work transfers you interstate.

The clause, again from how I interpret it, is that any factor that hinders your ability to use your pass has to be 'new' and occur after the date the pass was paid, so it can't be a pre-existing injury or something that you know about.

To me, it's almost worded as though it is impossible to make a claim. But that's just me.

3. Ziggy

Thanks. Your interpretation wouldn't surprise me.

How did you get access to the mystery conditions?

4. Sh4d0w9

Sh4d0w9 Hard Yards

Just had another look at the terms and conditions doc.. Check out pages 7 and 8; they give a much more thorough explanation of what is covered and the conditions.

5. Ziggy

#5 Ziggy, Apr 25, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
  6. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

I've never taken it out,. with the change of ownership I thought I should review that but having just read the policy (thanks Ziggy), I think I'll stick with that position.

One big inconsistency is that the T&Cs say "No replacement or refund will be made for its [season pass] loss".

The refund protection does not offer to cover that situation.

My presumption: they would probably replace a lost pass unless they had reason to suspect that it wasn't really lost.

My other problem is the sliding scale. The refunds go

up to June 29: 70% refund
    up to July 19: 50% refund
    up to Aug 8: 20% refund
    from Aug 9: zilch

so i'd really only be insuring against an injury in June/July that stopped me skiing for the whole season.

the cost of insurance is 5% of the cost of the Hero pass. at that rate self-insurance is the better decision for me. It may work better for others, eg if you are only skiing 2 weeks in June/July with not much planned after that

7. Ziggy

Neat cost-benefit analysis, thanks Curra.

I encountered the existing ailment rule in NZ when I ruptured an ACL. Learned from that that if you do have a condition for which you've been treated successfully in your view, then get a statement of capacity from your GP or physio and have it handy.

8. Ulmerhutte

Ulmerhutte First Runs

As per Curra... did not see the value for me either.

9. Sh4d0w9

Sh4d0w9 Hard Yards

It always intrigues me that they say that they "take no responsibility for it's loss". They don't readily advertise the remedies if you do lose your pass. I know there is a common misconception due to the wording in the T&C that if you've lost your pass, you have to pay for it all over again, when that's definitely not the case.

I agree with you Curra. For me, there would be limited benefit in it. Especially given I'd have gotten my value out of the Hero pass by the second week of the season given the number of days I ride.

10. BillyKidd

BillyKidd One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

At Whistler/Blackcombe you retain a tear-off on your pass which, if you lose the damn thing, you present for a replacement. I guess they can do this as they electronically scan your pass each time you head up the hill. They can invalidate the lost pass without any issue so you can't do the old lost/switch routine. Works well and ensures you don't lose out from a lost pass. Not sure if FC are able to do this now, or care to do it but it seems simple to implement.

11. Sh4d0w9

Sh4d0w9 Hard Yards

That would definitely work well if integrated with the scanning system they set up at Perisher last year.