Seasonal Work

Discussion in 'Perisher' started by April, Mar 15, 2019.

1. April

April Hard Yards

Hey Guys,

Anyone any idea of how Perisher would generally roster a Hotel Reception role? Just worried I will have no time on the snow, and given the crappy wages, if there's no snow time then whats the point really, be better saving in the city for Canada later this year!!. The job description says 30hrs p/w

Any tips/advice from anyone who has been here would be greatly appreciated :thumbs:

2. Jacko4650

Jacko4650 One of Us
    Ski Pass: Silver

No specific experience with Perisher but as an accomm provider, there is a need for at least 84 hours a week for reception, give or take a few; 7 days, 7am till 7pm. This is more than legally allowable for two people, so 3 shifts are required to avoid overtime rates, nor is there much flexibility for sickies (ahem, personal leave days). There are usually busy days where doubling up will be required, so 3 x 30 hrs is close to covering requirements. This is a perfect lifestyle scenario if they work the shifts to suit, so something like 3 days at 8hrs plus one crossover day at 6hrs = 30 hrs and 3 days a week off to ski. Alternatively, it might be 5 days at 6 hrs (not quite as convenient). There is an endless range of scenarios so the best bet is to ask what is most likely or most common. It's not something an employer can generally 'lock in' due to the dynamics of supply & demand. You would probably find there is flexibility amongst staff to suit individual requirements, though if you are the last in line (newest) you might get last choice. If you are the newest, odds are you will be working on powder days while they are carving it up!

April likes this.
  3. April

April Hard Yards

Thanks Jacko4650. I have just gotten some more information but again it is pretty vague as to how much time I would have off or on the mountain. Not a lot by the looks of it

“ your roster will vary between reservation shifts and reception shifts.
    Reservation shifts are generally between 9.00am – 5.00pm and Reception shifts are normally either 6.30am – 2.30pm, 12 – 8.00pm or 4pm – midnight.

I usually change the roster weekly so everyone gets varied shifts and different days off every week. You will be rostered on between 30 – 38 hours a week”[/QUOTE]