1. Coronavirus #StayHome

Official Advice

- People in Australia must stay at least 1.5 metres away from others and gatherings are limited to two people unless you are with your family or household.
    - If you believe you may have contracted the virus, call your doctor (don’t visit) or contact the national Coronavirus Health Information Hotline on 1800 020 080.
    - If you are struggling to breathe or experiencing a medical emergency, call 000.

Information Resources Mental Health Note: This announcement may be closed & This announcement will be reset every few days.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Seasonal Worker options??

Discussion in 'Falls Creek' started by DaveM, May 29, 2008.

1. DaveM

DaveM One of Us

G'day all, my son is looking seriously at an option to work in a lodge environment at Falls for the season (Chef). He's based in NSW. Can anyone with similar experiences there offer any advice on best options re transport?

He has a good car (XR6 ute) and is not sure whether to drive it up for the season or not. I reckon the regulars would have ideas on this.

Rule 1 would be to remember the anti freeze. [​IMG]

Cheers from Dave. [​IMG]

#1 DaveM, May 29, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  2. Annalisse

Annalisse First Runs

has he got a job yet?? i think good chef's are usually wanted by most lodges on the mountain so he shouldn't have too much trouble finding a job with accom although it is a bit late!

i'm from sydney and if i owned a car i would definitely drive it down - it means u can bring more stuff and dont have to worry about airfare restrictions or spending a day on a bus/train. plus then he can move freely and get off the mountain whenever he wants. i think parking in the resort can be expensive but having never driven up before im not 100% sure. or, he can park at road 24 (i think it's called) which is 5km from falls but there's a free shuttle. or he can park in beauty at the base of the mountain but then that seems to defeat the purpose to me cos you'd have to catch a bus down there....but contact resort mgmt for info and prices on parking.

having a car is especially useful if he doesnt like to stay in the one spot for too long, or if he gets a job that doesnt include meals - groceries are cheaper off mountain

3. call_me_joe

call_me_joe First Runs

A season parking pass will cost $240 which is pretty good considering a day pass costs $30.

4. DaveM

DaveM One of Us

Great, thanks heaps for the replies.

Yes he has accepted a job at Pretty Valley Lodge/Cock & Bull/Ropers.

Joe the season pass (parking) is that in falls or Beauty??

5. snowobsessedgirl

snowobsessedgirl Hard Yards

That's in Falls Creek. I worked at Falls last year, and I wish I had a car! You can get off the mountain whenever you want to and shopping is much easier and cheaper.

6. DaveM

DaveM One of Us

Thanks again for the reply - helps me advise my little boy (27yo and 6 foot 8 inches) [​IMG]

#6 DaveM, Jun 11, 2008
  7. call_me_joe

call_me_joe First Runs

Dave , make sure that your son has a set of chains if he plans on leaving his car at Falls. I hear a rumour that the fuzz will be checking cars for chains this year. IMO having a car on the mountain is the only way to go, sometimes you just need to go down the hill to keep sane.

8. Geeb

Geeb First Runs

Dave,I know Falls well, my family have all worked for Resort Management, carpark, snowclearing and admin, also Pretty Valley. Great lodge to work for, staff usually very happy and return regulars. He should be happy there.

Very convenient to have a car on the mountain but consider ice damage to paintwork. Road 24 is definately out for a good vehicle as bad weather can bring down limbs on vehicles, bumps and scratches happen easily as it is a very narrow road. He will not need to shop for food in Mt Beauty and there is usually someone heading down the hill if he really feels he needs to get off the mountain.

9. snowobsessedgirl

snowobsessedgirl Hard Yards

You dont have to shop for food in mt beauty, but you will pay twice as much if you buy everything at Falls! There was no way I was going to buy stuff from Falls, when there was a cheaper option, with a larger range down the hill.

One of my friends cars was damaged in the car park last year, but then I knew at least 10-20 others that were fine.

10. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

taking a car up is good, if you're ok with the parking, cahins etc. On chef's money that should not be a major issue. If you pay for a full season's pass, you won't be at road 24. If he doesn't time his trips for busy times, he should a park in lower slalom car park each time.

you can survive without a car. the hitch-hiking thing works quite well if you can't arrange a ride with a friend. Hitch a downhill ride outside gateway cafe. hitch an up-hill ride from the golf-course as the main rd leaves mt beauty. or check out mt beauty bakery to see if anyone is about to head up. obviously the wait depends on time of day etc.

most staff need to get off the hill every now and then - maybe go to albury. a car makes it a whole lot easier.

11. Apresski

Apresski Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

I would imagine, as a chef, his food would be included in his salary. For other things I'm sure he would get plenty of volunteers to share the fuel costs for trip to Albury. Hope he has a great season, he's working at a great place.

12. DaveM

DaveM One of Us

Thanks everyone for the replies. He has decided to leave the car behind and go to Albury by choo choo. Will be there tomorrow arvo. He is keen and looking forward to Falls. Pity there is little snow yet but hopefully you will all have cover soon. Cheers all and again Many thanks.

13. Nick P

Nick P First Runs

So, ....while your son is away, who gets the job for warming up the XR6 ute every second day? [​IMG]

#13 Nick P, Jun 19, 2008