Site update Secure Upgrade Post Mortem - Your membership fees in action

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Clarence Town
So (humblebrag) this morning I have finally nailed the last major bug in the migration of all of Ski.com.au systems to a secure AWS platform - after a marathon week of staring at the command line and about two months of prep-work.

We have migrated two domains, four subdomains, four different php applications, one perl application & five mysql databases (12GB+, 100M+ records) -- all migrated to secure TLS on Amazon.

We have migrated from an old-school VPS stack to a AWS Bitnami EC2 + RDS stack

Upgraded all applications and libraries along the way -> whilst switching from CentoOS to Bitnami flavoured Ubuntu Linux

I have also completely re-organised the apps & Nginx architecture for speed and SEO purposes - plus have setup such that we can later bridge access to forum member database from any new applications (eg Craft/Wordpress/iOS apps etc).

Plus navigated AWS's hostile sendmail/port 25 setup that requires applications to send mail via authenticated SMTP relays.

(Will be having a beer this afternoon - feeling pretty pleased with my effort)

"Who gives a.. what's in it for me?" I hear you ask.

Well... now I can actually get on with all the new features for the forums, such as;

Media Library (all uploaded images available to search and reuse).
Upgraded Forum Search
Push notifications
Even better mobile design & performance
etc.

But now we are finally here I can put a couple of long-term plans on the table.

1. Articles.
We will start to do a lot more publishing. Travel related articles mostly.
50% of all member fees this last 12 months (since the change to the 'freemium' model) have been allocated to commissioning quality articles. Expect this to commence in October as a priority.

2. The return of Weather.
The rest of the member fees from this last 12 months will be allocated to rebuilding a new 'Weather' section specifically for the needs of the weather forum crowd - obs, models, forecasts from as many sources as practical will be hauled onto the site so it's all in one spot and can be easily shared in threads. This will take the most of summer and some parts of it will become a 'prime' feature available only to season pass members.

3. Snow Cams - from the planet.
Cams from everywhere and anywhere Aussies travel to ski will be added to the site.

4. DJOTD Priority scan
DJOTD threads will be silently promoted and inserted into every forum, sub-forum, Newest Posts and Active Posts request and refresh.

5. NO ads for season pass members across the WHOLE site.
Some of you may have noticed that the forums are no longer forums.ski.com.au but are now www.ski.com.au - this is one of the main reasons why, we will be now be able to remove ads whilst you are browings snow cams, reports etc.

A skilled developer has been lined up to help. It's gunna happen (some of it slowly but we are getting there).

Thank you to everyone on these forums for your loyalty and support of this site. The future is bright...

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Clarence Town
Umm. But I have lost all the icons to do anything when replying to a message. No smilie icon, no icons for bold, italics, images, media, text colour, text size etc.

Ok (always feel free to report these things in the support forum).

It is most likely your browser. And it's likely because some things got stuck because you are here regularly and a lot of things got changed the last ten days.

Delete your entire browser cache and, if you can manage it, *just* your cookies for ski.com.au and forums.ski.com.au - make sure you know your password for logging back in before you do.

Be mindful of deleting all cookies, it will log you out of every site you ever visit with a password.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

JoeKing

Old n' Thrusty
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2011
a galaxy far, far away.
yes, possibly..

The next upgrade of the forums Xenforo has a default theme that is actually pretty good and I will enable for people to switch.
At the risk of getting growled at, is there any chance of a dark theme being added? Mine eyes have seen the glory. Now mine eyes ache with so much light coming from the screen (not just this place, btw)

Reactions: cold wombat

Seafm

Too far from the snow
Ski Pass
Jun 5, 2014
Cairns, Queensland
Umm. But I have lost all the icons to do anything when replying to a message. No smilie icon, no icons for bold, italics, images, media, text colour, text size etc.
Same thing was happening to me this week as well using Chrome on the mobile. I blamed it on the site being thrown into overdrive because of this week's minor:p weather event.

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
So this morning I have finally nailed the last major bug in the migration of all of Ski.com.au systems to a secure AWS platform - after a marathon week of staring at the command line and about two months of prep-work.

We have migrated two domains, four subdomains, four different php applications, one perl application & five mysql databases (12GB+, 100M+ records) -- all migrated to secure TLS on Amazon.

Upgraded all applications and libraries along the way -> whilst switching from CentoOS to Bitnami flavoured Ubuntu Linux

I have also completely re-organised the apps & Nginx architecture for speed and SEO purposes - plus have setup such that we can later bridge access to forum member database from any new applications (eg Craft/Wordpress/iOS apps etc).

Plus navigated AWS's hostile sendmail/port 25 setup that requires applications to send mail via authenticated SMTP relays.

Well... now I can actually get on with all the new features for the forums, such as;

Upgraded Forum Search
Push notifications
etc.

1. Articles.
50% of all member fees this last 12 months (since the change to the 'freemium' model) have been allocated to commissioning quality articles. Expect this to commence in October as a priority.

The rest of the member fees from this last 12 months will be allocated to rebuilding a new 'Weather' section specifically for the needs of the weather forum crowd - obs, models, forecasts from as many sources as practical will be hauled onto the site so it's all in one spot and can be easily shared in threads. This will take the most of summer and some parts of it will become a 'prime' feature available only to season pass members.

Cams from everywhere and anywhere Aussies travel to ski will be added to the site.

4. NO ads for season pass members across the WHOLE site.
Some of you may have noticed that the forums are no longer forums.ski.com.au but are now www.ski.com.au - this is one of the main reasons why, we will be now be able to remove ads whilst you are browings snow cams, reports etc.

A skilled developer has been lined up to help. It's gunna happen (some of it slowly but we are getting there).

Thank you to everyone on these forums for your loyalty and support of this site. The future is bright...

Bloody awesome work Richard, thankyou.:cheers:

JoeKing

Old n' Thrusty
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2011
a galaxy far, far away.
There is a plugin for FF I use called Invert Colors.

Whilst it gives a good result, the page flashes the original page first then swaps the colours. Ouch. :headbang: Anyway. Carry on. Thanks for everything @Richard :) :thumbs:

invert-colors.png

Seth

I am figure skating
Ski Pass
Jun 6, 2000
The Higher Ground
So this morning I have finally nailed the last major bug in the migration of all of Ski.com.au systems to a secure AWS platform - after a marathon week of staring at the command line and about two months of prep-work.

Upgraded Forum Search
Push notifications
etc.

1. Articles.

4. NO ads for season pass members across the WHOLE site.

Sounds good. But I have no idea what you are talking about.

Reactions: Charlie

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Presumably this means DJOTD will be invisible to Seasons Pass holders much like banner ads?
Ha! Now that I like.

Well done Richard.
Like @Charlie I have no clue what you said in the Opening Post other than blah blah hard work blah blah will make things good for you blah blah time for a beer.
So yeah...blah blah...thank you very much for your hard work on our behalf.

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
Canning Vale, Perth
@Richard 90% of what you said went straight over my head and in one ear and out the other at the same time.

Despite that, I truly respect and appreciate all the hard work and what you have all done for this stupendously good website/

Please continue to take my money!!! :cheers::woohoo:

Reactions: Richard
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass