1. Coronavirus #StayHome

Official Advice

- People in Australia must stay at least 1.5 metres away from others and gatherings are limited to two people unless you are with your family or household.
    - If you believe you may have contracted the virus, call your doctor (don’t visit) or contact the national Coronavirus Health Information Hotline on 1800 020 080.
    - If you are struggling to breathe or experiencing a medical emergency, call 000.

Information Resources Mental Health Note: This announcement may be closed & This announcement will be reset every few days.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Seeking advice about first week of July

Discussion in 'Falls Creek' started by catbird, Jun 28, 2008.

1. catbird

catbird First Runs

Its nearing decision time for our family re. a week at Falls and I need some advice. I have no idea of how snowfall in cm translates to the amount of white gold underfoot (underski?) so in a best case scenario how much would have to fall over a couple of days to go from current cover to ski in/out? How are conditions for snow-making at the moment - I see there has been some action on Drovers and around Cloud9, what is likely to happen over the next few days/nights? And now for the question I probably don't want to hear the answer to...What are the chances of 3 downhill runs being open following Tues./Wed. possible falls?

2. tr+h

tr+h One of Us

I here you. We have a group of 17 up there from Perth, from the 6th July.

I reckon because QANTAS are cancelling flights on us left right and centre, it will bucket down Mon(30)/Tues(1)/Wed(2). Then big falls the following Tues/Wed and lots of cold air for the few days after so they should be able to top up each night.

3. catbird

catbird First Runs

Only in our dreams tr+h,only in our dreams........

4. snowduck

snowduck One of Us

My unqualified guess is that a minimum of 10-15 centimetres of snow ought to be 'skiable'

Well, I live in Adelaide (up at Falls in August) and we are expecting between 10 to 15mm of rain during Monday as a cold front passes by. That front should reach the Alps the same day, and if the thermometer drops a little, there should be good snowfalls.

#4 snowduck, Jun 28, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2013
  5. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

ski in ski out is unlikely.

having enough runs to invalidate the snow guarantee is more likely.

These runs have snow-making on them, so it is also possible that they will make snow in the cold snap.

We used to say you need 40cm (prefer 50) to make the intermediate runs worth skiing, but that doesn't have to be all natural. in 2006 they basically ran all the runs over the back for the season with only 1 decent snowfall, which happened end July.

6. Sno4WA

Sno4WA One of Us

Ski-in ski-out will be most unlikely - prob need around 70cm for that and it needs to be cold enough to stick being down lower in the village. At least with more snow making down Wombats you can get home - although whether the conditions make the ski home worth it is debatable.

7. catbird

catbird First Runs

That's great that they can make snow to cover Wombat's. How far down does it go?

8. SNOW-STUFF

SNOW-STUFF Hard Yards

all way to the bottom of the lift (Falls Express)...

9. The Stig

The Stig Hard Yards

I'm sorry but I can't share your confidence.

I believe that the snowmaking will concentrate on getting the minimum of three runs open in order to keep the snow guarantee from being applied. The three easiest would be Mouse Trap ( not that you can call this a run ), Drovers Dream and Broadwalk.

If you look at the snow cams the guns on some of the runs look to have not yet fired a shot eg. Ruined Castle.

10. currawong

I also doubt that Wombats will be open. The other day you could see on the cams that it was turned off a of earlier than drover and what was at the bottom melted quite fast. Stig's analysis is pretty right,except that I think Main Street (on Towers) will be ready before Drovers. But they will work frantically on both. (Some say that she can figure 11 widow maker backwards; some say that he summer grooms fox trail with his teeth...)

11. catbird

catbird First Runs

If the next system brings 30cm over a couple of days would that, plus snowmaking ,be enough to get say Main Street/Towers and Drovers skiable? I suppose it also becomes dependent on what level it falls to as to whether Wombat's Ramble gets going.

12. Ulmerhutte

Ulmerhutte One of Us

Cannot comment on the probability of getting 30cm (there are far smarter people here when it comes to analysing weather charts), but 30cm would be enough to get Main Street skiable.

13. DVS

DVS Hard Yards

We get in a bit earlier (4th), so the question for us is "how many runs will be open on Wed (2nd). It appears that it will snow Mon/Tues. But how long does it take to get a run operating. If it has to be groomed or lifts prepared or whatever, then even with some snow, it seems unlikely 3 runs would be operating Wed.

I'm not very familiar with the process, can someone shed some light on it?

14. call_me_joe

call_me_joe First Runs

Mainstreet and Highway 83 are the most likely runs to be opened. Those runs don't have any bushes on them. Drovers on the other hand needs alot of snow to flatten the undergrowth, hence the reason for all the snowmaking. Drovers is a sensitive vegetation area and the lift company is not allowed to summer groom it, as a matter a fact they cant even drive vechiles down there in summer and have to walk down if work needs to be done.#0 cm of natural snow should be ample to open Mainstreet.Every lift on the hill has been ready to go since May and only need to be turned on, just like every normal operating day.

15. currawong

joe, drovers is usually (enjoyably) skiable before highway. The creek down the middle of highway seems to be a bigger hurdle than the vegetation on drovers. Otherwise agree with you. don't expect any lag for operational readiness.

16. call_me_joe

call_me_joe First Runs

currawong, thanks coz I forgot about that damm creek. Shouldnt have as it's such a pain in the a@se.

17. DVS

DVS Hard Yards

Thanks guys.

Call me stupid, but you might have to spell it out for me.

If I understand you correctly, you're saying that, with the 20-odd cms forecast for Mon/Tues, it is very likely 3 runs will be operating on Wed.

I know no-one can give a guarantee, but am I right?

18. punter

punter First Runs

I wouldnt think 20cm would be enough to get them operating as there is no base at the minute.

If the guns could lay something on the ground in the next 48 hours, if only to get the ground temps down, then 20 cm of natural snow on top may but only may get them thinking about it.

19. call_me_joe

call_me_joe First Runs

The Stig mentioned Mousetrap and Boardwalk as 2 seperate runs, I would be really pissed off if they tried to claim them as such as in reality they are 2 carpets on each side of the same run (old Tom Thumb). *No disrespect intended* Also to run Boardwalk they need to be able to push snow up to the sides of the carpet so that if someone falls off they wont break thier neck. The "Canadian code" that the lift company abides by has words in it to that effect.

20. call_me_joe

call_me_joe First Runs

Talking to the snowmakers I was told they can open mainstreet with 2 good nights of snowmaking, so there is always a chance.

21. DVS

DVS Hard Yards

So would I, but if I was them, I wouldn't want to face a legal challenge.

The guarantee says "...if three designated DOWNHILL RUNS are not open...".

Mousetrap and Boardwalk are LIFTS not RUNS. Falls Creek's own trail map shows only one designated run between those two lifts.

I'm now lawyer, but it seems to be straight forward to me. A quick phone call to the Victorian Consumer Affairs authority would quickly clear it up one way or the other [​IMG]

#21 DVS, Jun 30, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2013
  22. snowduck

snowduck One of Us

LISTEN UP FRIENDS : I HAVE AN IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT [​IMG]

This morning (30/6) a cold front swept across Adelaide (As I said would happen) Very cold here. Very wet here.

Expect snow at Falls later today ! [​IMG]

#22 snowduck, Jun 30, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  23. call_me_joe

call_me_joe First Runs

Started snowing at Falls at 10am. Not exactly bucketing down but steady. Pretty valley road has been closed in preperation for Wombats and Mainstreet is a chance too. I was down the bottom of Drovers today and IMO there is very little chance of it opening for the weekend.

24. call_me_joe

call_me_joe First Runs

The lifts open tommorrow will be Gully, Express, Mousetrap, Boardwalk and Monkeybar. Wombats is a chance tommorrow or wednesday, Mainstreet by the weekend if all goes well. Lots of happy people up here. The Village is closed to traffic so Gully, walking or oversnow are the options available. Falls is starting to at least look like a ski resort now.

25. IAB

IAB A Local Ski Pass: Gold

God bless you Joe! [​IMG]

#25 IAB, Jun 30, 2008
  26. DVS

DVS Hard Yards

Ahhhhhh!

That's better!!!!

he he he he he

be there FRIDAY!!!! [​IMG]

#26 DVS, Jun 30, 2008
  27. currawong

I heard that people were skiing wombats this afternoon, but don't know if it was actually open. Its been really cold in the valley today, lovely biting cold and damp that just tells you it's snowing.

28. currawong

This morning's report has Monkey bar "open" today. (not in this wind I suspect). So once they get main st open it will be 3 runs without having to double count mousetrap/boardwalk.

29. Ulmerhutte

Ulmerhutte One of Us

Suspect you are right Currawong - with forecast gusts of 100km/hr, there is every chance that Express will be on wind hold.

Surprised to see there were still cars in the bowl - showing in the web cam shot about 7:45am.

30. call_me_joe

call_me_joe First Runs

Express was on windhold untill 11.30am today, Wombats was open, skiers were on Broadway and Mousetrap was a goer too. Mainstreet is skiable but not open, I believe thursday is the day it will open. I skied highway 83 today (yeehaa, got first tracks, gotta have some perks working up here). Currawong the creek is still exposed. Also Gully opened and tube park carpet opened for skiers due to the windhold.

31. tr+h

tr+h One of Us

[​IMG] DVS

Leave some for us, we are 2 days behind you !! as you well know.

#31 tr+h, Jul 1, 2008
  32. chopobo

chopobo First Runs

will be heading up on sunday
    do you think we will need to put on chains for a drive up from mt beauty to falls creek

33. currawong

very unlikely that you will have to fit them, but you must carry them. cops love setting up chain checks ofn days when people think they can get away with not hiring them.

road was clear yesterday, and no snow forecast between now and then.

34. chopobo

chopobo First Runs

carry them?
    wow that sucks
    whats the fine for not carrying chains?

35. currawong

From Vicroads site
    I thought the fine was only about $200, but this suggests over $2000.

#35 currawong, Jul 4, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2013
  36. chopobo

chopobo First Runs

wow
    do you think there will be many cops at about 7-8am sunday morning

37. currawong

why risk it?

if you're going up for a few days, it may well snow in that time.

chain hire starts at about $15 for a day for ladder chains that are legal but not as good to use. You can get diamond pattern chains for a week for $65.

Lots of chain hires in Tawonga and Mt Beauty. These prices are from Rocky Valley, but I think others are pretty similar.

better to hire chains than blow $2K

38. chopobo

chopobo First Runs

yeah your right
    just seems like another unnecessary cost, i'm only going up on sunday and by myself

39. tr+h

tr+h One of Us

sounds good up there for this week. My contact on the ground arrived today and is very excited.

I assume that was you I saw on the Summit cam this afternoon DVS !

40. ski4me08

ski4me08 Hard Yards

Think Summit and Inter might open this season?

41. Apresski

Apresski Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Ever thought of leaving your car in Mt Beauty and gettint the bus up. Check out the Pyles website. Particularly for one person as the car enty price to the resot is expensive anyway.

42. currawong

probably, but it's early days yet

43. catbird

catbird First Runs

Well how unpredictable is Mother Nature!
    We stayed in Mt Beauty on Mon.30th and a Lifty came into the restaurant we were in and gave the snow report. I didn't dare look forward to good conditions in the lead-up to this holiday and in the space of the 24 hrs since I last read this forum (because we were now on our way) , it went from the land of Pete the Dirt Dragon to ski in/ski out. Enough to bring tears to my eyes.
    Great to see some serious follow-up falls happening now.