1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

sellwyn conditions

Discussion in 'Selwyn' started by Cant_board, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Cant_board

Cant_board First Runs

the sellwyn website says there is 45cm of snow.Just wondering if anyone was down there this long weekend that could say this is true? As im heading down there next weekend i just dont want to get all excited and then be disappointed.

2. Kazza

Kazza Hard Yards

It was a little bit patchy on Monday, but they are due for more snow over the coming days, so i think you'll be fine. Township & New Chum Bowl are the runs that were open on Monday, but keep an eye on the pics them on the website, pretty accurate at them moment.

3. Tarynbear

Tarynbear First Runs

Any updates on the conditions at Selwyn? I see a few more runs on standby? Any fresh snowfalls or are they making snow?

4. SelwynSnowfields

SelwynSnowfields First Runs

Not exactly sure, but as of right now the average base depth it prob about 15cms. We have New Chum, Township chairs open as well as the Racecourse t-bar and boomerang platter (as of Wednesday 30th.

5. FrostyTSM

FrostyTSM First Runs

Overnight lows look like they will not be able to make snow from Fri until next Wed!
    And rain sunday [​IMG]

#5 FrostyTSM, Jul 7, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  6. SelwynSnowfields

Not looking good, that rain before the cold air comes through is gonna kill what we have.

7. FrostyTSM

FrostyTSM First Runs

Looking good for lots of snow wednesday :)

8. Tomess

Tomess First Runs

For anyone who works at selwyn any idea when the park might be up and running?

9. SelwynSnowfields

Little terrain park was open today 9/7/2010. If the little dump of snow next week comes off then the big ones will be open late next week.

10. Bushy69

Bushy69 Hard Yards

Two days of rain seem to have really damaged the cover. I can imagine how miserable it must be at the moment, I just hate skiing in drizzle.

Fingers crossed for the 14th, and I hope you get the predicted dump.

11. SelwynSnowfields

Drizzle this morning, affected the cover, but it cleared up by afternoon with some clouds about. New Chum, Township and Racecourse is holding up well.

12. Tomess

Tomess First Runs

Blinkin, mind telling me what you have in the little terrain park?

13. IAB

IAB A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Apparently all lifts and runs were open today, can anyone up there give us an update on conditions please. Might make the dash this weekend.

14. SelwynSnowfields

All lifts open, Conditions are as good as it has ever been this season, come on up.

15. Bushy69

Bushy69 Hard Yards

Selwyn on top of ladder in terms of snow depth. What The?? :)

16. Snow Blowey

Snow Blowey Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Selwyn ofetn does better than thredbo and perisher from SW systems. Thredbo and perisher are in the rain shadow of the VIC alps when it comes from the SW. The VIC alps rainshadow has less effect on Selwyn because it's further north and has a clear run from the SW.

#16 Snow Blowey, Jul 19, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2013
  17. IAB

IAB A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Re: Selwyn conditions

Thanks Blinkin, we came, we skied, we had a great time. We nearly went to Perisher instead but we figured the queues over the weekend would be massive after the first proper snow of the season, plus it's a pain when the access trails between the different areas aren't open.

So we chose Selwyn instead and very glad we did as everything was open, the sun was shining, the snow was in good nick and the queues were fine. In fact on Sunday there were really no queues at all.

A couple of pics - it was a VERY cold -13C at the park entry station on Saturday morning but a much warmer -2C up at the car park:

[​IMG]

Plum Pine:

[​IMG]

Racecourse:

[​IMG]

Long Arm:

[​IMG]

#17 IAB, Jul 19, 2010
  18. LevRMark

LevRMark Hard Yards

Almost didn't go skiing yesterday having become a bit jaded with the crowds at Perisher this season, so thought we'd check-out Mt Selwyn after skipping a visit last year - heading down we did wonder if we were doing the right thing, but were very pleasantly surprised! Though the cover was lighter than usual (as elsewhere) there was more than enough snow. Since we were last there they have re-configured a bit and opened up some areas previously reserved for "tubing". Runs open included Township, Home Run, Long arm Race Course and most in between. Weather was also carm and mostly fine. And best of all there was no need to keep glancing over you shoulder on the watch out for some crazy, even had a clear run on more than one occassion!

We weren't particularly early arriving, but I'd guess conditions were a bit "firm" to begin with, but by the time we clicked in it was fine- just a little fluff to make conditions very forgiving.

So a bigs thumbs up very Mt Selwyn - no crazies, no crowds and enough snow for a fun time.

I have no interest or association with the resort, just good memories of the kids leaning to ski there - my only debt to the resort.

19. SelwynSnowfields

Glad to hear you had such a great time guys. Come back next year [​IMG]

#19 SelwynSnowfields, Jul 27, 2010
  20. Megs

Megs Hard Yards

Hey Blink!! Will be back up there next week for a few days.... is anyone talking about the systems that are meant to be coming through over the weekend?? Noticed that it was looking a little grassy @ the end of Long Arm... are they even open @ the moment??

See you next week... keep a good pair of size 7's to the side for me :O)

Hope you got out for a ski!!

21. kiter

kiter One of Us

Yep had 2 great days early last week with the kids .The new chair and reconfig is good .Snowmaking and coverage was excellent .Definitely better than handing over full coin at perisher or thredbo at the momentr . Good luck with the coming pineapples hope it doesn't wash everything away and that the front on Sat Sun delivers plenty of the white stuff .

22. SelwynSnowfields

Hey Meg!!

Sounds good! The system is looking ok hey fair bit of rain on thursday and friday but then turning to snow saturday night then snow for the next few days, fingers crossed! All runs are still open.

I'll make sure to put away the best 7 rear entries! I've just heard word that we have about 800 kids coming up on tuesday [​IMG]

Yeah I had some mates come down from Newcastle last week so my 2 days off I spent on the slopes, was good fun! [​IMG]

#22 SelwynSnowfields, Jul 28, 2010
  23. Tarynbear

Tarynbear First Runs

Hey Blinkin,

Just read the entry where you mention a possible 800 kids hitting Selwyn on Tuesday. Our accommodation warned us when we booked that they had a large school group staying at the same time. We are heading down on Sunday to ski Monday and Tuesday. What's the story with school groups, do they ski and use the lifts or just snow play? Won't be getting many runs in if I have to line up at lifts with school groups. I pulled my six year old out of school for a few days to avoid the crowds!

24. SelwynSnowfields

Hey Taryn,

Yeah unfortunately it will be busy, they do ski and use the lifts but don't let that worry you too much, there will be some queues but the nice dump of snow we are due to get from Sunday through Thursday will make it all worth it so come on up and have some fun!

25. Tarynbear

Tarynbear First Runs

Thanks for your positive spin Blinkin, If the forecast is right, then hopefully all runs will be open again and I can find an uncrowded run to conquer. The crowd of schoolies might be the reason a booked the last spot in the Mega Might lesson on Tues. My 6 yo daughter is a first timer and is busting to get down there to have a go so I guess that is enough of a reason not too worry too much.

26. jackstarone

jackstarone First Runs

Hi Taryn
    Just wanted to add my bit on Selwyn.
    I took my wife and son there on Mon - Tue our first trip to Selwyn, we usually ski at Perisher. Selwyn is the perfect place to go if you have children or first timers in your party. The steepest runs are not much harder than front valley in Perisher. There is plenty of gentle slopes to learn on and all the staff are friendly and helpful.
    We had perfect bluebird days, the cover was light but all the runs had enough snow for everyone to enjoy. With the forecast for snow over the weekend, the conditions should be excellent.
    Thumbs up for Selwyn!!!

27. Tarynbear

Tarynbear First Runs

Thanks Jackstarone,

I'm a little excited to say the least. I haven't been skiing for at least 6 years as since I met my wife she has never been skiing, and never been keen to go. Quick funny story (well sort of funny), I was diagnosed with a kidney disease 2 years ago and was put straight on dialysis. After about 10 months on dialysis, my wife surprised me with "hey I think we should do that snow trip you've been bugging me about". It was all planned for Aug last year for 5 full days of skiing at Selwyn when at 3am on the morning of our departure, I got a call from RPA to come in for a transplant. Transplant failed, AND I missed out on 5 days of skiing. So, there is no way I'm missing out this year, dialysis machine in tow. I really hope that this front comes through on Sunday and god blesses us with a dump of the white stuff as I will probably only get this one chance for my wife to enjoy it otherwise it will be hard to get her to come back. The only hope I've got is if my daughters (2 yo and 6 yo) have a blast and bug her as much as I do! We have 3 days of skiing and the 6 yo and my wife are booked in for 2 lessons, 1 each day. I hope they will learn enough to be able to jump on a lift and have a ski with me as they are both first timers.

28. jackstarone

jackstarone First Runs

Hi Taryn.
    Sorry to hear about the failed transplant, I hope everything works out for you and your family. The kids will have a ball at Selwyn and so will your wife it is just set up so good for beginners, in fact its the only resort where once the kids are expert skiers,( takes about 1.5 days [​IMG] ) you can let them go and explore their way around the resort, because everything feeds back too base, they can't get lost. "Snow is coming" Let me know how the trip works out!!

#28 jackstarone, Jul 29, 2010
  29. Nidecker

Nidecker One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Selwyn is absolutely perfect for this. I did the same thing with my daughter then 4yrs. The lift pass was free for her I think, and the staff were fab! The only tip I have for you is take an extra set of gloves for each of them, ( or whole outfit if you can afford it) and change the little ones if they get wet. If you can keep them happy for the first couple of trips to the snow, you will have them for life.
    Ski with the kids, don't drop them and run!

#29 Nidecker, Jul 29, 2010
  30. Megs

Megs Hard Yards

Blink.... you are a champion!!! See you on Monday... hopefully amidst 30 odd centimetres of snow!!! Woooooo Hoooooooo!!!!!

31. Tarynbear

Tarynbear First Runs

Hi Blinkin.......you might know? My kids asked me to print the pictures from the Kid Zone link on the Selwyn Website. It says bring the picture to Selwyn for a special treat. What is the special treat? I told them hopefully it is 20-30cm (not being choosy) of fresh powder!

32. Tarynbear

Tarynbear First Runs

BTW, the snow report on the Selwyn home page still shows 27/7/2010, so is now 3 days old. Is this supposed to be updated daily?

33. SelwynSnowfields

Sounds good Meg cya on monday I'll be there!

Got no idea what the special treat is Taryn, could be a Milo Showbag with goodies in it but I'm not sure. But after checking weatherzone's forcast, it has been heavily updated, could be a HUGE dump.

34. GilBoy

GilBoy First Runs

Gilgandra, you either know it or have no idea!

Blinkin,

What is the word on the week starting 9th August? We are heading there with 3 families, 1 family only dad skies...learnt around 1980 when the township was a diesel powered t-bar which myself and and friend dropped on the ground!

The dam up the top was called the quarry and scary to go down as you landed on your back at the bottom! Last year was my first time since 1980 when I learnt, and my 2 daughters last year loved it(6 & 4). In 1980 we had free ski tickets as the dads had a flagin of brown musket they left in the engine room and shared with the owner of the resort! I wonder if he still remembers!!!

I hope over summer they give Clive a holiday and have something less aromatic!

See you in the white stuff.

35. SelwynSnowfields

Hey Gilboy,

Not sure what the word is regarding the 9th+ but I can find out what I can and get back to you.

Classic story, Selwyn has quite a history. Unfortunately Clive is still part of the history, although if all goes well he is due to retire in the summer of 2010/2011.

Cya up here! Snow should be great [​IMG]

#35 SelwynSnowfields, Jul 31, 2010
  36. GilBoy

GilBoy First Runs

Blinkin,

Thanks for checking out the poeple booked in, I hope no school groups!!.

My wife is REALLY glad Clive gets an upgrade as she is the one who takes the kids to the loo! Whoever is doing the web site needs a rocket as I've emailed messages to fixup or broken links, bad images, not working cameras etc and people coming to Selwyn need good info and are not getting it.

Basically it is bad business compared to one person doing the job properly each day cost out at max $60 but potentioal to bring in $1 000 or more.......doesn't the boss understand this?

There are people in this blog saying they are coming to Selwyn to avoid the crouds and enjoy good snow, it is important to get the best possible message out to your customers.

Thier website is the eyes to the world and for a pretty small amount the operators are missing out securing profits!

37. Ramshead

Ramshead One of Us

righto blinkin, i know the whole world's heading down this weekend, but tell me selwyn has no visit from the entire australian boyscout movement or some such planned for Saturday. Tell me that queues won't be longer than 5 mins on township and powerline at most times during the day. And when I say "tell me" I mean please tell me. Cos if ya do, you'll be getting some cash outa my daughter and I. Tix, ski hire, food, you name it. We'll throw in the smiles for free.

Oh also, could u confirm that powerline is running cos it says standby on the website even tho long arm and k ridge are open.

Ta.

38. Tarynbear

Tarynbear First Runs

Hi All,

Was down at Selwyn on Mon & Tues (2/3 Aug) and After that awesome dump on Sunday, It was snowing practically all day on Monday, then the sun was beaming for a fantastic day on Tuesday. Yes Blinkin, you were spot on about the 800 schoolies on Tuesday. Whilst the wait on the lifts were not too bad (5-10) minutes on New Chun, and less than 5 on Wombat triple, the Kiosk was packed and there wasn't enough space to cater for all the high schoolers, plus I found they ran out of self serve food like pies, sausage rolls, chips ect, really quickly. TIP: Order hot food (like burgers) and find a seat upstairs in the Bar. The schools weren't allowed up there. The snow coverage was awesome, and my first timer wife and 6yo girl were both skiing competently after 2 lessons, needless to say they are both hooked. Had a great time, and will definitely be back.
    P.S Some words of wisdom. In the Pub (Snowgoose, Adaminaby) on Sunday night we were over hearing all the stories of people getting stuck on the road due to not having chains. We 100% needed our chains to get up there on Monday morning so hire them. The $30 seemed cheap compared to seeing the people digging their cars out of the snow on Monday morning as we were driving up the mountain.

39. SelwynSnowfields

Hey Ramshead,

Because weekends are really busy just from the general public we do not normally have a school or community groups come through Ski Hire, so even if we have a group or 2 on Saturday or Sunday they are very small. But yeah it will be busy but that's just what it's like on a weekend. So yeahhhhh queues will be really short with no wait times at all [​IMG]

And yes powerline is running, every single lift and run is open.

Taryn,

Glad to hear you had such a great time a fair old Selwyn. The cafe at Selwyn always has trouble with big numbers, the size of the building and the kitchen just isn't adequate for the sheer numbers of people. Not to mention the supervisors running the kitchen this year have left/fired so it's been a bit of a struggle. Sunday was really bad, I left the mountain at about 4pm or so and was stuck in traffic at the top of Sawyer's Hill for about an hour because of a car (with or without chains I'm not sure) crashed into a Snow Plough not to mention the sheer number of customers who came up the mountain without chains and were stuck. People have to learn that it dosen't matter what the weather at all, if you drive into the national park at any time during the ski season you HAVE to have chains if you drive a 2WD.

#39 SelwynSnowfields, Aug 5, 2010
  40. GilBoy

GilBoy First Runs

Taryn and Blinkin

Thanks for the advice regarding chains....we'll be hiring, don't want a great week ruined by trying to save a small amount of $$$.

41. kiter

kiter One of Us

#41 kiter, Aug 5, 2010
  42. Ramshead

Ramshead One of Us

Thanks Blinkin. Lookin forward to gettin down there. definitely won't whinge about queues. expecting those!

43. Tarynbear

Tarynbear First Runs

Hi Gilboy, the guys at the Ampol Adaminaby were very helpful with the chains.

44. Ramshead

Ramshead One of Us

Hey all. Conditions were 9 outa 10 on Saturday. Complete coverage on all runs, and soft enough in most places, except one or two of the icy snowmaking humpback whales on Township. Also, racecourse threatened to soften in teh arvo but but never quite did

all in all though, had a great day. Main carpark was almost totally full but crowds dispersed well. The only advice I'd give management is to build a timber fence on the left hand side of the first 10 metres of the powerline poma. That's quite a dropoff that you could end up in!

I posted a vid in another trhead showing my daughter skiing down kangaroo ridge run. Might as well chuck it here too. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLOCUedJaZw

As I said in the other thread, if anyone's ever wondered what Selwyn looks like away from the main runs, it looks like this!

#44 Ramshead, Aug 10, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
  45. Megs

Megs Hard Yards

I think that this thread should be renamed "Dear Blinkin....." Selwyn should be hiring you as their PR guy... keep up the great work!! Thanks also for the great set of boots for the week... not one grumble passed these lips in regards to how my feet were pulling up!!

We had such a great time up @ the mountain over the past week... thrills and spills for all and I can't remember a better day than Friday for amazing skiing conditions... about 10-15cms of fresh snow and the sun was shining.... doesn't get much better than that!

Hopefully Clive will be put into forced retirement over the summer.... nothing quite like the smell of amonia in the mornings :O)

Thanks all for making it such a great week.... goes into the memory bank as one of the best!!

46. Ramshead

Ramshead One of Us

SELWYN GET YOUR PR ACT TOGETHER!!!! Don't u guys realise that you had more snow in the last 24 hours than any other Australian resort? You should be tweeting this news and sending press releases and doing god knows what else to promote the fact! Even if just 10 adults act on the info, that's 720 dollars worth of lift tickets for the weekend - not to mention all the ancillary spending. Surely that's worth an hour of a staff member's time!

Selwyn I love you - and that's why I want you to make lots of money!

And why do I love you? Dozens of reasons. Uncrowded slopes on Plum Pine is one of them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvRiUihjLnE&feature=channel

#46 Ramshead, Aug 12, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
  47. silverwitch

silverwitch Hard Yards

Nice up at Selwyn today!
    A bit foggy at times early on with the sun coming through...but not too much!
    Lots of people around but many just there for snow play....good for us skiiers though!
    Snow was in pretty good condition and lots of fun turns were had cruising around with not many on the slopes at all. Max wait less than 5 minutes at lifts and at times skiied straight on! I couldnt believe it wasnt busier considering all runs were open and they have had snow recently. It made a nice change from the main range where we have been going as of late...lots less people and you pretty much had the slope to your self..nice...that is compared to our last few visits to Perisher.
    A great day trip with hardly any traffic either way on the Boboyan Road...lots of roos though as per usual!!

48. GilBoy

GilBoy First Runs

Well, we came, we saw and we conquered!

After a week’s skiing all progressed in their skills and found good technique meant you’re less sore and less tired! Had a fantastic time, only real wait was getting on the powerline poma and I can understand why as it gives you the longest run but the T-Bar out of racecourse is a bit of a drag.

Maybe it is better people don’t find out about this great place and we can keep it to ourselves........ better than 10 000 people at Perisher!

See you next year!

PS We had to use chains on 2 days......the Ampol lads set us up well.

49. Ramshead

Ramshead One of Us

Good reviews Gilboy and Silverwitch. Keep em coming, people.

50. crama

crama One of Us

Would love another slide there soon. It's catch 22 isn't it. We tell people how good it is hoping they will go there but we don't want too many cause it's comfortable there with small lift line waiting times.