1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Report Selwyn 2015 - Trip Reports, Pics & Conditions

Discussion in 'Selwyn' started by Richard, Jun 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Richard

Richard Maintenance Dept Administrator

Today at midday. (Jun 25 2014)

#1 Richard, Jun 25, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2014
    Untele-whippet likes this.
  2. Untele-whippet

Untele-whippet beard stroker Ski Pass: Gold

Great video snow report today!

3. Sago

Sago Hard Yards Ski Pass: Silver

Agreed.

4. Snow Blowey

Snow Blowey Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

I'm just back from my first ever trip skiing Selwyn with my 2.10 year old.

This is a fantastic place for beginners. Basically a whole resort of green runs with crowds well dispersed and no patron attitude. Families having BBQ's in the car park and packed lunches at picnic tables. Really happy we decided to go there rather than battle 2000 other people on Friday flat or front valley.

5. DJM

DJM One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

It really is a good place to start. Despite learning to ski in the Backcountry, I took the +1 there a few years ago to get some resort time. She was so p$ssed that I'd made her hike for her turns after discovering the joy of lifts. Low key fun for sure at Selwyn.

6. Majikthise

Majikthise Sage Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Always has had a good reputation for Ski school for the littluns too.

7. Untele-whippet

Great views of Jagungal to the south from the top of the mount too.
    And good value lift prices also!

8. Snow Blowey

Certainly some nice views up there. I did have difficulty handing over $180 odd for lift tickets (2 adults and kid) knowing we were only there for benefit of the kid. And on day two she told us she was done after an hour! We went tubing then put her in the car and let her sleep while we did a scenic drive to Cabrumurra. Then returned for another hour and a bit later on in the afternoon.

If i go back i may have to convince +1 to let me try the tree runs in the side country out to the east. They look like they could be fun.

9. Untele-whippet

$60 / person for lifted skiing in Oz ---- bargain!!! :)
    No as cheap as BC though :evil:

10. ryan_

ryan_ One of Us

I am also planning my first ever visit to Selwyn this year. I always skied Thredbo/Perisher in the past and poo-pooed the idea of skiing here - however not having skied properly since 2006 and having a non skiing wife and 3 yr old in tow it now seems like a good option.. esp. since they actually seem to have cover this year
    My 3 year old does not seem too keen on the idea of skiing, but hoping I can persuade her to give it a go.

11. Snow Blowey

Ryan - i showed my daughter heaps of ski videos over summer and ever since she has been asking to go skiing every now and then.

Earlier today she asked my +1 if we could go camping. Not sure where the love of camping has come from but she did love opening and closing the zippers on our tent over the weekend.

12. dayzoff

dayzoff One of Us

I taught my daughter to ski when she was 3 at Selwyn. It was 15 yrs ago but we just bought 1 lift ticket to share between wife and I. The beginner area is so good and gentle that I just walked back up the hill with the little one and then skied again with her in front of me until she got better. One weekend of this and then the next time she was ready to ride the lift. I remember that they used to almost stop the lift to load little ones.

Try the side country trees in a west direction further up the ridge from the top that drops down a drainage gully back to near the bottom of the racecourse t-bar. Faces a bit north but if you get it with good cover and cold temps it is a lot of fun and you get a bit of distance to.

13. Hacski

Hacski Guest

Its great with kids as they can't get lost. Not just because the fewer numbers make it easier to spot people but because everyone just goes round and round and sooner or later you meet up.

14. MsHilly

MsHilly Hard Yards

Had a great day at Selwyn today. Not too crowded despite being the ACT holidays and a weekend. The poma next to Township stopped quite a few times (this seems to happen every year) - I wish they would just fix it (and the toilets!). Excellent groomed snow and lots of it, the kids enjoyed their ski lessons and we skied until closing time. The carpark was quite full but I think many visitors were on the toboggan/tube run rather than the slopes.

15. Woolie

Woolie Hard Yards

I agree totally with this. We went with friends in the school holidays and had 4 boys between 10 and 13. Basically we just told the boys to look after each other, be nice to the lifties and come and find the parents when you get hungry......
    They had an absolute ball and it gave us a chance to focus on the younger kids.
    Well done to the team at Selwyn. You have identified a niche market and cater to it perfectly.
    Oh, and the abundance of snow this year helped as well.

16. Nowada

Nowada Addicted

We are going for a day with my sons scout troop on 3rd August, I am looking forward to seeing Selwyn again after 30 years. Has anything changed apart from tube rides and snow making ?

17. Untele-whippet

They've replaced the Township T-bars with a triple chair.

18. ryan_

ryan_ One of Us

Family booked in for 2nd & 3rd August. Hopefully I can get a bit of skiing in between building Olafs for my 3 year old and generally pretending we are on the set of Frozen..

19. maxdacat

maxdacat Hard Yards

I camped there for a few nights in the freezing rain and sleet as a teenager on a school x-c trip in 1988. We didn't have lift tickets but hung out halfway up and got one of the tall kids to grab the t-bar for us as it went past....nobody really gave us any grief.

Snow Blowey likes this.
  20. ryan_

ryan_ One of Us

We drove from Cooma to Selwyn on Saturday, perfect and rare winters day, fresh snow, blue skies, no wind and temperatures below zero. Slow trip along the highway due to snow on the road all the way through Kiandra and Adaminably and a VERY long wait to get parks pass (30 mins +)
    Snow cover was unbelievably good, stayed cold and hardpacked all day. The snow play areas were packed - but there was never more than 1 or 2 minute wait for the Racecource T-bar. It was a perfect warm up for legs that have not skiied for several years.
    Skiied Thredbo on Sunday but the snow quality was way better at Selwyn!

21. Nowada

Nowada Addicted

Skiied Selwyn on Sunday and was very pleased with the snow quality.
    It makes me smile how they rate the runs but, racecourse would be a hard green or easy blue at most other resorts. But fun was had and although tracked out, ungroomed meadows was a pleasure to ride. Did bout 5 hours with my son and that should last me another 30 years.
    Its good to see the resort looking full and all the happy kids about.

Snow Blowey likes this.
  22. Snow Blowey

Was back for a couple of days last week. Again a really excellent place for beginners. I was able to tow my kid up the hill on foot for a couple of hours without any of the staff getting upset. Then found everybody really friendly around the kiosk area.

Even better was that little miss has ploughing and turning all sussed out now. Yesterday afternoon she managed to ski Wombat top to bottom doing S's the whole way with only one intervention from me.

23. Majikthise

Great news.. It is a great spot for kids.Where did you camp and what are you doing for fear for the blowette

24. Snow Blowey

Majik - this time we actually had some accommodation at Jindy with my brother this time. A couple of weeks back we spent 3 nights at Island Bend and camping went really well.

This trip we left home (Dubbo) early Wednesday morning and were on snow at Selwyn around 10.30am. I towed her up the hill for about 3 hours on and off until she was stuffed. We did lots of straight snow ploughs but no turning. Then we headed to Jindy.

On Thursday went up to Thredbo to ski with my brother and his family. My memory o Merrits was that it was suitable for little miss given previous days efforts with snow plough. But i was wrong and just getting from Gunbarrel Traverse to the cafe was a nightmare. Think kid out of control flying past other punters and lucky not to hit someone or something, with dad in a huge panic trying to catch up and also miss earlier referenced punters. Ended up back down at Friday Flat and had limited success. She had stayed awake playing with cousins the night before so was lacking strength to snow plough. Did a bit in the afternoon session after 2.5hr sleep in the car at midday. Cousins did the flare run and they all got into the dancers that were on before hand.

On friday we didn't intend to ski but found ourselves in the vicinity of Selwyn with a couple of hours of daylight spare. This was an awesome time to get there. Slopes were empty and snow had softened nicely. Again some manual towing up the slopes. After a couple of straight runs i realised she was turning a bit here and there so i decided to run out in front of her and tell her to ski toward me. Then would run the other way so she had to turn and follow me. Worked a treat so we hit the steep Wombat run and did that nice and slowly before heading home.

She asked if we could go skiing again yesterday so plan is coming together already.

Not sure what "fear" you are referring to? Fear of camping or skiing? She seems to want to do both. Has asked to go camping a few time since our last trip also. Was a bit painful for mum and dad being confined in a small tent with very active child though. Tent was very comfortable with the fire going inside.

25. Majikthise

sorry typo was supposed to be 'for' gear etc..

26. Snow Blowey

ahh. Got her an Aldi outfit(clothing and gloves). Been hiring some 67cm skis and boots from the place at Talbingo. Also hired from Rhythm. Now i know she likes it i will get her some skis and boots for next year. Hiring is painful as it adds 30min to what is already a long trip down and eats into that awake and energetic time of the 3 yr old.

27. Majikthise

Does the jindy tip still have a good selection of S/H boots and skis for kids?

28. Telemark Phat

Telemark Phat Pass the butter Ski Pass: Gold

There will also be the Jindy ski swap next long weekend.

29. Snow Blowey

will look into those options.

30. Untele-whippet

They're closed for the season now according to their snow report.
    Looks like they had a good one though ---- they deserved it after a few marginal ones.

31. Miffy

Miffy Addicted

By my accounts they were pretty much 100% open from last week of June to first week of September, pretty awesome by Selwyn standards.

==================================
    ====== 2014 - LAST POST - 2014 ======
    ==================================

32. Richard

Richard Maintenance Dept Administrator

#snow2015

33. Keryn

Keryn First Runs

So will there be enough snow next week for tobogganing and tubing. Also ski lessons for kids..

34. DidSurfNowSki

DidSurfNowSki One of them Ski Pass: Gold

35. colorado

colorado Hard Yards

36. colorado

colorado Hard Yards

Friday 17th July
    Great conditions at selwyn, this is an overlooked place to ski. Perisher was packed Thursday, massive lines. Thredbo good on Wednesday with few queues. If you want to work on turns head to pigs gully, not a person to be seen and the snow was good.
    Tip, get an advanced group lesson at selwyn and it's likely you'll get the instructor to yourself - effectively a private lesson for the cost of a group lesson

silverwitch likes this.
  37. MsHilly

MsHilly Hard Yards

Agree - we had a great day on Friday too - excellent conditions and grass only visible in a few spots (the usual suspects - bottom of Racecourse and Long Arm). Queues were short. We had a lot more fun at Selwyn than we did at Perisher on Wednesday.

38. Dos

Dos One of Us

I understand this really well. This happened to me at Thredbo in 2013. Many 2-hour private lessons that cost $28 each!

39. Annabuzzy

Annabuzzy Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

I just skied Selwyn for the second time. I was underwhelmed the first time but not hostile. Now I'm hostile.

Selwyn is the living hell of ski resorts. It has no gradient to speak of, so the whole resort is a giant beginners run, which is fine in itself. However, it is truly punter paradise. As in rude punter paradise. I have not seen worse lift line etiquette in my life. Generally throughout the resort the incidence of poor manners was astounding. Not all staff are rude, but there sure are a heap who are. The guests are pushy and aggressive. Awful. Awful. Awful. One ski instructor directed me to the hire queue to buy lift tickets where I wasted 20 minutes of my life. Avoid,

40. Majikthise

You went on a weekend.....
    Different place midweek. if it weren't for Selwyn all those punters would be at Friday flat, Fv or Smiggins. It is in your interest to learn to love Selwyn

Dos, Angus_McCrory and Annabuzzy like this.
  41. cin

cin Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Sounds more like you need to learn to love that it exists, but let everyone else go there and take your kids to Friday flat or front valley!

Dos and Annabuzzy like this.
  42. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

I call it a no turn hill. Fun on skinny XC skis.

Majikthise likes this.
  43. Annabuzzy

It truly is a no turn hill. it really would be extraordinarily difficult to learn proper ski technique there.

44. Annabuzzy

Never, ever again. But you're right. I'm not sure there's enough room at FF for all the table reserving brown bag hordes from Selwyn!

And yeah Majok I think I went mid week last time so while underwhelmed I wasnt overrun by aggressive numb nut can't ski tools. I expected a chilled place great for my little one. The terrain is indeed pretty good for a 4 year old, but the people sure detract from the experience.

45. CJP

CJP Hard Yards

Really, Selwyn is well known to be a beginners resort. My experience of Selwyn is that the staff and instructors are very helpful and patient of those that are learning. If you went once and weren't happy why did you go back and then whinge about it.

Re

46. Born2ski

Born2ski Part of the Furniture

Learnt to ski at Selwyn in 1986, ahh the memories.

47. Annabuzzy

Not my experience (ie not friendly and not helpful).

You may not have noticed but my views moved from underwhelmed to hostile. That's exactly what I said. I also explained the motivation for the return visit. There's no mystery there.

The purpose amongst many of these forums is to inform people. I am informing people of my negative experience.

Incidentally I would not take a beginner to Selwyn to learn to ski. For a first snow experience - perhaps, but midweek. But to learn to ski - no. The quality of instructor I observed was average. The terrain does not require your skills to advance. A beginner would be much better served at FF or FV or Blue Cow or Smiggins or CP in my experience, assuming they actually want to progress as a skier.

48. agentBM

agentBM Part of the Furniture

Space..traveling through the vast non emptiness

My first ever self drive trip was there in August 86....29 years ago exactly.

As for Selwyn hate above...well, I reckon all NSW ski resorts / fields are pretty skank on quality of service and value for money. Add the Australian mindset to the game and hmm......

People take skiing too seriously - it is meant to be fun. Why so much analysis and seriousness I don't know. You hear people always talking about turn technique - how boring. Skiing used to be full of fun people....now it is the rich wanker set taking back over like in the 70s....with their baby attitudes. People are too competitive and that is laughable...what happened to "for the fun of it?"

At least I know regardless, I will ski because it is in my blood and not in my wallet. No pretentious type here what so bloody ever. I liked Selwyn for what it is and I am taking a tour of people this week there (no skiing) on their first ever snow trip...so scenery plays a part, and you cannot see much of that heading into PV or Thredders.

49. Dos

Dos One of Us

I had to double check and see if I was actually reading Ski.com.au forum and not TripAdvisor. ROFL

Marty_McSly, CJP and Angus_McCrory like this.
  50. rough60

rough60 Hard Yards

Took the kids to Selwyn for the first time last month, put them in a 3hr lesson while I shot a client, they had only boarded Perisher before, not long and they were bored of short runs and ended up on pig gully and race course for the rest of the weekend.

I thought Selwyn was pretty good for first timers or really young families, kids instructor was really good with the kids, when he saw them the next day he had a couple of runs with us and gave them a few more tips. It wasn't crowded, no lift lines really, but the wait for food was shocking. It's definitely value for money if your on a tight budget though.

I wouldn't take the family there for one of our ski trips, but I'd take the kids so they can have a day or 2 boarding when they normally wouldn't get a chance while I do some work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.