Trip Report Selwyn 2022

MattyHoll

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 17, 2016
Just a quick report from today. The road to selwyn is blocked at the gate, which had a staff member there to tell you its closed. I spoke to him and asked about the cross country trails and parking situation, apparently they're trying to work out something but atm the construction site is not blocked off and they had problems with people yesterday walking around the site in the snow which obviously you cant have happening. He was nice enough to let me drive up to the car park to turn around, saved me doing a 5 point turn haha. Plenty of snow up there, probably the most I've seen. I parked at the court house and did a quick skin to the top of the old ski hill. Trip up was good, ski down was terrible. Snow was like glue. As far as the power goes, if its coming over from the east the old lines that were burnt are gone but no new ones installed. But briefly looking at the site today, they still had a fair bit of work to do. Definitely wont be happening now. Oh and if anyone is planning to park on the side of the road. Don't park where you might get stuck. Saw two cars within 100m of one another today stuck in the snow.

IMG_5788.JPG

286183826_1031244204434012_6588571884240870824_n.jpg

286368341_1189466198471984_5020632026872753184_n.jpg

286870917_4794091364030810_8024390939619043433_n.jpg

Jamesc

One of Us
Oct 12, 2011
Sydney
Just a quick report from today. The road to selwyn is blocked at the gate, which had a staff member there to tell you its closed. I spoke to him and asked about the cross country trails and parking situation, apparently they're trying to work out something but atm the construction site is not blocked off and they had problems with people yesterday walking around the site in the snow which obviously you cant have happening. He was nice enough to let me drive up to the car park to turn around, saved me doing a 5 point turn haha. Plenty of snow up there, probably the most I've seen. I parked at the court house and did a quick skin to the top of the old ski hill. Trip up was good, ski down was terrible. Snow was like glue. As far as the power goes, if its coming over from the east the old lines that were burnt are gone but no new ones installed. But briefly looking at the site today, they still had a fair bit of work to do. Definitely wont be happening now. Oh and if anyone is planning to park on the side of the road. Don't park where you might get stuck. Saw two cars within 100m of one another today stuck in the snow.

IMG_5788.JPG

I was surprised that there was noone up there on Saturday turning people around there were people everywhere all through the site and playing in the snow off the sides of the carpark

Reactions: MattyHoll
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

MattyHoll

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 17, 2016
I was surprised that there was noone up there on Saturday turning people around there were people everywhere all through the site and playing in the snow off the sides of the carpark
Yeah I thought the gate would've been locked still considering its the long weekend, but obviously not. But that is exactly why they had someone on the gate today turning people around.

ecowain

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Apr 14, 2003
Mount Victoria, NSW

IMG_5788.JPG

Thanks for taking the time for that great update.

I guess we’ll see what they work out over the next few weeks.

Good to see so much snow cover there. We’re also considering a K to K to K in august, tag teaming the kids and each of us doing one half solo.

MattyHoll

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 17, 2016
I guess we’ll see what they work out over the next few weeks.

Good to see so much snow cover there. We’re also considering a K to K to K in august, tag teaming the kids and each of us doing one half solo.
There is definitely enough snow coverage atm, hopefully temps stay cold and we get a few more decent snow falls. Would make for a good year to do that trip. Snow is almost a week old around this part of the mountains and there is still some patches of snow along middlingbank rd which usually only last a day or two. So just goes to show how much colder it has been. Car thermometer did read -9 just out of Adaminaby this morning on the way to Perisher. I know they’re not great for accuracy but its still a temp you don’t see often haha.

D80578D1-123E-4026-97C7-992A10325B2A.jpeg

oldgeezer

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 18, 2016
Grandpa oh and computer programmer too.
This is so disappointing for all concerned. I was so looking forward to taking our grandsons there. However the seven year old is going through a phase whereby he gets car sick so the winding road in might have been an issue. Instead it looks like a visit to Smiggins instead.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Megs

Hard Yards
Mar 22, 2006
Windsor NSW
I heard along the grapevine that the problem was that they didn’t get the power connected in time. Then the snow came in. But surely, surely, if something like that isn’t done by the end of March you call it. If you’re working in the alpine areas surely you know the weather is starting to turn by April. Anything could happen and a project manager would know this. It just feels like somethings not adding up properly. We could still hear the generators running on the Saturday of the long weekend. Anyone who knows me on here knows I’m a Selwyn girl through and through and I’m just really disappointed and a bit cross to be honest. And I’m not sure if I’m cross because it feels like they’re not being upfront about things (which I guess they don’t have to be but for them it’s an investment and for us it’s a place that we love and miss) or if I’m cross because I’m just disappointed. Anyway… chin up… next year! Shame they dug out the gate… it really looked like it was gone for good!

MattyHoll

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 17, 2016
It just feels like somethings not adding up properly.
Yeah well, there are a few more stories floating around town. Nothing bad, but I wont be mentioning those here on a public forum. Definitely should have called it earlier, but it was pretty obvious when they got past the date they said they were going to release day ticket prices that they weren't opening. Oh well, next year. Did anyone on here happen to purchase a season pass? I know in the past with the bushfires they were pretty quick to get in touch with refunds or a transfer to Charlottes.

• Sad
Reactions: kiter

Fozzie Bear

Where's my flapping ears gone.....
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2014
In the woods
I know in the past with the bushfires they were pretty quick to get in touch with refunds or a transfer to Charlottes.

ROFL

You have got to be kidding. My experience with CV-19 cancellation last year was that in October I was told that I should be grateful that they were going to roll over my two Charlotte Pass season passes to 2022. After having CP season passes for 8 of the last 15 years, paying for numerous private ski lessons for +0.95 (Mk III) and self, and spending significant amounts at cocktail o'clock in the Adam's Bar, there is a good chance this will be my last year skiing at CP. Blyton Group are proper cnuts (not the king).

MattyHoll

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 17, 2016
ROFL

You have got to be kidding. My experience with CV-19 cancellation last year was that in October I was told that I should be grateful that they were going to roll over my two Charlotte Pass season passes to 2022. After having CP season passes for 8 of the last 15 years, paying for numerous private ski lessons for +0.95 (Mk III) and self, and spending significant amounts at cocktail o'clock in the Adam's Bar, there is a good chance this will be my last year skiing at CP. Blyton Group are proper cnuts (not the king).
Yeah right. Did you run over Kev's cat or something? Everyone I know got refunded after bushfires. I didn't bother transferring it because I bought a pass for another resort etc etc.

malas1

One of Us
Ski Pass
Dec 1, 2015
Yeah well, there are a few more stories floating around town. Nothing bad, but I wont be mentioning those here on a public forum. Definitely should have called it earlier, but it was pretty obvious when they got past the date they said they were going to release day ticket prices that they weren't opening. Oh well, next year. Did anyone on here happen to purchase a season pass? I know in the past with the bushfires they were pretty quick to get in touch with refunds or a transfer to Charlottes.
I got a refund yesterday, 2x locals Selwyn

Reactions: MattyHoll

Fozzie Bear

Where's my flapping ears gone.....
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2014
In the woods
Yeah right. Did you run over Kev's cat or something? Everyone I know got refunded after bushfires. I didn't bother transferring it because I bought a pass for another resort etc etc.

Clearly Blyton prefers bushfires to spicy lung. He is skating on thin legal ground. Selwyn can't open as he fukked up his timelines. Last year the government says you can't travel and Blyton said stiff shyte if you had a season pass.

ecowain

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Apr 14, 2003
Mount Victoria, NSW
Yep, big barrier and cameras on the selwyn road, about 500m before the resort.

Decent remaining cover for gentle touring on the surrounds of 3 mile dam and Cabramurra.

A thin line of snow up the fire trail from kiandra, would be decent cover once up on the selwyn Xc trails and out past 4 mile ruins. A shame that it doesn’t look legal to start touring from the selwyn Xc carpark, where you’d be on decent snow immediately.

Reactions: malas1

K24ME

Hard Yards
Jul 21, 2014
Yep, big barrier and cameras on the selwyn road, about 500m before the resort.

Decent remaining cover for gentle touring on the surrounds of 3 mile dam and Cabramurra.

A thin line of snow up the fire trail from kiandra, would be decent cover once up on the selwyn Xc trails and out past 4 mile ruins. A shame that it doesn’t look legal to start touring from the selwyn Xc carpark, where you’d be on decent snow immediately.
search on Canberra cross country ski club on fb. They did a tour there in the last week

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

DPS Driver

A Local
Jul 18, 2014
I've been working with Selwyn to get the resort up and running and was locked in to get some hardware installed. It was a close thing and they had been let down to a degree. The snow ironically was the straw that broke the camels back.

Yes, there' still work to be done and even if they had managed to open, as was their intention, the resort would still not have been complete. So bear that in mind. It would have been habitable and could have operated but would still have required finishing.

I know for a fact that they have fought hard to get there and had to jump through so many hoops along the way, plus so many obstacles which were put in their way along the journey. They tried their guts out and worked all kinds of stupid hours to make it happen and believe me they were gutted.

They will be back in 2023 and the resort will be a little jewel.

MattyHoll

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 17, 2016
Boredom got the best of me this arvo, went for a drive up to selwyn. Plenty of people parked on the side of goat ridge road between kings cross rd and the hwy. all snow play and sleds. One group looked to have a portable toilet shelter, sadly I didn’t stop for a picture, or to use it LOL. Passed three b triple segment trucks through there on the way up. So certainly a potentially dangerous situation. Definitely a shame they’re not at least trying to open the car park for snowplay etc.

Still a thin cover of snow up around three mile and selwyn. As noted earlier the fire trail from kiandra up has snow left on it, stands out from the surrounding grass and would have some snow up on the flat out towards selwyn and to table top, but not a lot. (I personally wouldn’t be making a trip out of it).

Rained last night in town, but looks like it got some snow up high, hard to tell from the photo but the trees (burnt sticks) on top of tantangara looked like they had some snow / ice on them. Stood out from the surrounding landscape today. Alpine hill looked similar on the drive up on its south east facing side.

7D0AFA5A-1638-4038-BFF6-1F52F544FCC4.jpeg

MattyHoll

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 17, 2016
Thanks for the update.

We'll be able to provide some updates after skiing KtoKtoK in a few weeks time.
Look forward to seeing that, something I’d love to do with a bit more bc experience and some light weight gear. I really hope for some more snow the end of this month. There are a few things I want to ski up around kiandra myself which I haven’t had the chance to yet and will make for your trip a whole lot easier. It’ll snow, sooner or later :)

MattyHoll

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 17, 2016
So after the recent snowfalls and a case of cbf driving to the southern resorts today, I thought I'd head up this morning for a quick lap around. Man was I disappointed, either it snowed bugger all or it melted really quick. There is still snow up high, even on the trees around the high peaks, alpine hill and tantangara still had snow on them but nothing in the valley. Thought I'd make an update of conditions atm for those looking to ski up here or do KtoK, hopefully we get another decent snowfall soon. A few photos showing the trail head to table top mt and the hill opposite the court house. I'll also note they've pretty much finished re building Sawyers Hut, the fence has been removed (for anyone who cares) I didn't get a photo, maybe next time.
Probably the biggest bummer for me about selwyn not open, its good for quick ski without having to make a day out of it. Oh well, next year.

IMG_6036.JPG

IMG_6037.JPG

IMG_6038.JPG

iain.roberts

First Runs
Jul 23, 2022
So after the recent snowfalls and a case of cbf driving to the southern resorts today, I thought I'd head up this morning for a quick lap around. Man was I disappointed, either it snowed bugger all or it melted really quick. There is still snow up high, even on the trees around the high peaks, alpine hill and tantangara still had snow on them but nothing in the valley. Thought I'd make an update of conditions atm for those looking to ski up here or do KtoK, hopefully we get another decent snowfall soon. A few photos showing the trail head to table top mt and the hill opposite the court house. I'll also note they've pretty much finished re building Sawyers Hut, the fence has been removed (for anyone who cares) I didn't get a photo, maybe next time.
Probably the biggest bummer for me about selwyn not open, its good for quick ski without having to make a day out of it. Oh well, next year.

IMG_6036.JPG

IMG_6037.JPG

IMG_6038.JPG
MattyHol when did you go up? I noticed in another thread you hadn't been up in a few weeks, and maybe there is some snow there.

I thinking of taking the kids up to try cross country and the parking situation at perisher is not ideal.

ecowain

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Apr 14, 2003
Mount Victoria, NSW

IMG_6036.JPG

IMG_6037.JPG

IMG_6038.JPG
Thanks for the update.

I skied out from a national park crossing today at kiandra.

I finished at the Wolgal ruins, and with some adventure skiing got to 200m of the car before deciding to walk.

Good cover where I passed the selwyn Xc trails, and some sign of use, although I think access to selwyn is still restricted.

055CF696-D19E-43C9-B6B2-BCBE5F2D4469.jpeg

At the Xc trail junction with tabletop trail.

0997D42C-7369-4BB7-8B18-CE359B57A10B.jpeg

View of cover at selwyn. Looks like mostly covered apart from a green stream across the centre run halfway down.

Photos taken today 23/7.

I’ll write more of a trip report for the backcountry section after I get home.

MattyHoll

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 17, 2016
MattyHol when did you go up? I noticed in another thread you hadn't been up in a few weeks, and maybe there is some snow there.

I thinking of taking the kids up to try cross country and the parking situation at perisher is not ideal.
I hadn’t driven up the link road for a few weeks, because the gates shut halfway. My last post in here was the day I took those photos, lower down in kiandra though. I usually ski the hill opposite the court house when possible, once you get up high it’s pretty much flat, good for a xc ski, but not for downhill. If you start up near selwyn or walk up the trail in my first photo there will be coverage up there, ecowain’s photos from today verify that.

Yeah, the Perisher parking / traffic deal on a weekend is becoming increasingly off putting.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using