Selwyn blue/Black runs

Discussion in 'Selwyn' started by CR500, Jul 23, 2018.

1. CR500

CR500 Hard Yards

I hear Selwyn is always described as being good for kids and beginners, but what about the blue and black runs? How do they compare to the main resorts?
    I stick to blue and green runs at Thredbo and Perisher, are the ones at Selwyn easier?
    I was hoping to do a few more ski trips a year by saving money going to Selwyn sometimes instead.

2. BrindiCruiser

BrindiCruiser Hard Yards

Yes they are easier. I refer to them as light blue runs. Usually Well groomed.

CR500 likes this.
  3. kiter

kiter Addicted

Hmmm . I don’t think there are really any black runs at Selwyn buuuut if you want to make things more interesting do what I did when I used to take bus trips and later on our kids there was take on a new discipline , eg I got into Tele skiing and snowboarding . Green runs became blue and blue , black . Everyone was happy and had a good laugh too

BrindiCruiser, CR500 and Belly like this.
  4. Sean Sunley

Sean Sunley Hard Yards

The snow is excellent at Selwyn at the moment and there is a Groupon deal for a $49 lift ticket. Print out Groupon ticket as they can't scan codes on phones. The Race Course T-Bar has a couple of runs I would class as short blues.

5. CR500

CR500 Hard Yards

Since I am not an expert skier it sounds like I will still be able to have some good fun at Selwyn. The regular black runs were a bit much for me, so it is likely that I might be able to have some fun in the Selwyn blacks.
    As for trying snow boarding, I did that last week at Perisher and it really wasn’t for me (I was pretty bad, which got painful) and I have decided to stay with skiing.

6. Ramshead

Ramshead One of Us

The blacks at Selwyn are definitely blues anywhere else. There is a run called pig gully on racecourse which is what the Europeans call red (the level between blue and black) for about three turns, but otherwise, the most interesting stuff is in the trees either side of racecourse and between meadows and race course. Given sufficient snow they are quite challenging not because of the gradient but because of the tightness of the trees. Otherwise I’m with @kiter. I too resort telemarked Selwyn once which made everything harder. Nothing like a gear change up to change the face of a ski hill. Enjoy! I taught my kids at Selwyn and skied them there for at least three very affordable fun seasons. This was about five years ago and they now ski anything anywhere. For example they gobbled up Funnelweb at Thredbo last week and loved it.

CR500 and BrindiCruiser like this.