1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Selwyn Development

Discussion in 'Selwyn' started by SnowAndrew, Jan 20, 2011.

1. SnowAndrew

SnowAndrew One of Us

#1 SnowAndrew, Jan 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
  2. wangster

wangster A Local

Is that just to get rid of the pit toilets and put in a proper sewerage system? Or has that already happened?

3. SelwynSnowfields

SelwynSnowfields First Runs

Hey guys. I will be able to comment on this development shortly.

4. SelwynSnowfields

Selwyn Snowfields Summer Development News 2011.

1. We have an all new website that's currently in the works. It will feature brand new snow cams and a new weather station with automatic updating.

2. Starting in winter 2011 our private lessons will now got for 2 hours. We also have a new program called Penguin Private Lessons, this is discounted private lessons for under 7 year olds.

3. Workshop Courses. Workshops are quick, affordable (only $20) group lessons that focus on particular areas such as terrain park tricks, skiing style or parallel turns.

4. During the 2011 winter we will be trialling a brand new environmentally friendly membrane filtration toileting system. This means flushable toilets! This is only a trial and will need approval from relevant government departments after the trial for it to permanently implemented.

5. Picnic & Toboggan Facilities. With Stage 1 planning completed and final approval pending, we should see building commence shortly of Stage 1 with completion hopefully in time for Winter 2011. Stage 1 includes additional picnic tables and a shelter with BBQ facilities above the Toboggan area. Stage 2 consists of a toilet block with flushable membrane toilets (if the 2011 trial is successful) and is expected to commence construction in summer 2012.

5. wangster

wangster A Local

All sounds good to me. Thanks for the update [​IMG]

#5 wangster, Feb 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  6. waylow

waylow Hard Yards

Hopefully this means the end of the stench [​IMG]

#6 waylow, Feb 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  7. SelwynSnowfields

Haha that's the plan waylow! - But we'll just have to wait and hope.

8. tbnext

tbnext One of Us

I have been to Selwyn once. Never ever gunna suit me, black run no kids family, but I thought it was awesome for young families. BUT It still had faults.

Lunch-seriously that was hopeless, like hopeless. Limited facilities, OK thats life. At least give me the choice to dive in and grab the pre-pack hot dog.

9. waylow

waylow Hard Yards

I went for there for the first time last season for one day. I'll be back, but only when my daughter is old enough to learn to ski. Not enough to keep my interest up for more than a few hours. Selwyn is perfect for its intended demographic. I'm sure with a few more intermediate and a few advanced runs (if the proposed extension goes ahead) it would be a lot more interesting,

10. SelwynSnowfields

I understand your pain with the Cafe at Selwyn tbnext, I worked in it for 2 years (and sometimes still do, you might catch me in there helping out on extremely busy days). We are well aware of the problem and every year we try to come up with ways to improve it. We do have 2 queues; 1 for ordering hot food and 1 for drinks, self-serve coffee & tea, confectionery, crisps, sandwiches, salads and our self-serve hot food (pies). This helps a bit but we know people cold and possibly wet from a days skiing want hot food (chips, burgers). We do the best we can, but because the popularity of Selwyn is only growing and more and more numbers of people are coming our current kitchen facilities can't cope well. Our hopes are to somehow extend the building size, brand new kitchen and new equipment but with land space and proper approval a major issue, not to mention costs (Selwyn being privately owned) this will be very difficult to do, but in saying that it really is something we want to do. So until then every year we do try our best to come up with solutions to the cafe problem.

#10 SelwynSnowfields, Feb 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2013
  11. SelwynSnowfields

Also forgot to mention our upstairs cafe and bar "The Swinging T-bar" which opened in July of last year. It serves coffees, cakes, beers, wines and a range of spirits.

12. GilBoy

GilBoy First Runs

Gilgandra, you either know it or have no idea!
    Blinkin,

Have they updated the toilets and said goodbye to Clive?

Anything else new besides the new terran park?

13. SelwynSnowfields