News Selwyn Extensively Damaged

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
' ' ,

The Blyton Group has today announced the official re-opening date for Selwyn Snow Resort will be Saturday 11th June 2022.

'All New in 2022' will see the resort transformed for its grand re-opening, with the expected completion of the significantly expanded and integrated ‘Selwyn Centre’ that will house all guest facilities and services in the one building. The new Selwyn Centre will house an expanded Ski & Snowboard Hire, enhanced food and drink offerings and improved toilet amenities.

The 2022 snow season will also see the completed full upgrade of the New Chum Chairlift and the re-opening of 100% of the resort’s skiable terrain.

The relocation and expansion of the Snowsports Learning Area will also be complete, with the installation of two brand new dedicated snow carpets for guests to perfect their turns on.

The relocated and expanded Toboggan Park will also open in Winter 2022, offering the best tobogganing experience in New South Wales.

Selwyn’s snowmaking capability will significantly increase, with the installation of state-of-the-art snowmaking equipment provided by TechnoAlpin. Selwyn Snow Resort will be the first snow resort in the Southern Hemisphere to install the brand new TT10 snow machines.

Kevin James Blyton, Chairman of the Blyton Group said he is looking forward to the reopening of the resort for 2022. “With the long-term future of Selwyn secured and construction underway, we look forward to the community being able to experience the new and improved Selwyn in Winter 2022. We remain fully focused on the rebuild and are excited for the future of the resort.”

Reconstruction of the electrical supply to the resort is underway, with a full restoration of the network expected in early 2022. Resort infrastructure sourced from overseas including grooming & snowmaking equipment is still on-route and is expected to arrive in the coming weeks.

Work continues with the NSW Department of Planning, Industry & Environment to finalise the remaining planning approvals.

Public access to the resort is not currently possible while construction works are being undertaken.

Updates and progress photos of the resort rebuild will be available at selwynsnow.com.au

MattyHoll

One of Us
Aug 17, 2016
A few people driving around up there today. No snow left, but looks like a bit of work has been going on since I last drove through. Road open now, to the dam and rms depot. Didn’t bother going beyond that, but I did get a photo of the courthouse at Kiandra with its new roof.

123EB27E-EFAD-4D6C-A7CD-284160B78FCE.jpeg

Heath

First Runs
May 31, 2021
I was also wondering as the powerline poma is meant to be replaced with the other half of the triple soon; would this create a bottleneck at Racecourse. As the lifting would be increased by 200%

Reactions: Alleve and jje

kiter

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 21, 2002
Newcastle
Selwyn is missed . Riders at Perisher and Thredbo will reap the benefits of its return next year and it’s strong focus on snowplay and beginners . Hopefully there will be enough accomodation in adaminaby to match the reopening

Reactions: Alleve

MattyHoll

One of Us
Aug 17, 2016
I was also wondering as the powerline poma is meant to be replaced with the other half of the triple soon; would this create a bottleneck at Racecourse. As the lifting would be increased by 200%
More than likely, those who struggled to ride the poma usually didn’t ski around the back down to racecourse t bar. With a lift they’ll ski down there and get stuck at the t bar.

Reactions: Heath

Heath

First Runs
May 31, 2021
More than likely, those who struggled to ride the poma usually didn’t ski around the back down to racecourse t bar. With a lift they’ll ski down there and get stuck at the t bar.
Do you think that the t bar would be upgraded into a second hand chair in the future?

Chookfooter

Cranky Curmudgeon
Ski Pass
May 11, 2020
I suspect any operator installing a 2nd hand chair would be taking a bit of a risk. One of the resort managers was telling me there are only a handful of Australian lifts that conform to current standards and to install an older one and bring it up to standard would probably cost more than a new one. The Dreamworld deaths are going to have a lot of consequences for resorts.

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
Ok, didn’t mt baw baw also sell a double? Or maybe the brought one! Idk lmao
It really doesn’t matter. But yes lots of lifts are repurposed all around the world. In this case I’m sure that they are bound by standards.

Reactions: Heath

skichanger

A Local
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
It really doesn’t matter. But yes lots of lifts are repurposed all around the world. In this case I’m sure that they are bound by standards.
Fixed chairs are pretty simple and should not be to difficult to get to meet required standards. I would expect the hardest part would be the braking mechanism.

Chookfooter

Cranky Curmudgeon
Ski Pass
May 11, 2020
Fixed chairs are pretty simple and should not be to difficult to get to meet required standards. I would expect the hardest part would be the braking mechanism.
It's actually much more than that, it's things like redundancy in safety switches and cabling etc. The actual ropes and pulleys stuff is easy, it's all the other stuff you don't see. A HR Holden has 4 wheels, a motor and brakes, but try getting it past ADR's now. And just because it is done around the world doesn't mean it can be done here.

BrindiCruiser

Addicted
Jul 24, 2016
Liftline for racecourse was previously a bit of choke point, and also was a challenge for many of the less experienced folk at Selwyn.

However, extending the chair and replacing powerline poma would be be great as it often seemed that the snow under the Poma was a key limiting factor in how long that section of the resort was open.

IF they extend snowmaking and put in a lift there, that would make the resort quite a bit more fun.

I skiied Selwyn for 4 seasons with my young family and quite liked it. Season passes were cheap, accomodation was cheap, and on the best days when all the terrain was open, it could be quite fun.

Overall, I am quite looking forward to the resort re-opening next year and may even return for a season. Especially if crowds and traffic at Perisher are out of control all season.

Heath

First Runs
May 31, 2021
Snow making will be increased.

In fact, if you venture to Charlotte Pass at all this season you will see some of Selwyn's guns there. So it will be an improved experience both on and off the snow next season.
I saw on their website that they were getting new fan guns. Hopefully it will extend their season! I think Selwyn has also increased the racecourse quarry as well.

DPS Driver

A Local
Jul 18, 2014
I saw on their website that they were getting new fan guns. Hopefully it will extend their season! I think Selwyn has also increased the racecourse quarry as well.
Yes, they've got the fan guns. They arrived in Dec or Jan. They're being used at CP this season. There will be some on mountain changes but not sure to what extent as yet.

Reactions: Jonathan_P

BrindiCruiser

Addicted
Jul 24, 2016
In their published plan/media releases, they have said they will increase the capacity of the quarry which stores water (Presumably for the snow making) and have also increased the capacity to fill the quarry with water from 3 Mile Dam, which is a few k down the road.

I don't think I saw much snow making action where the powerline Poma was located, or on Long Arm. these areas typically open after good low snow falls, but did not last long without the benefit of snowmaking kit.

So I am hoping that snow making infrastructure spreads to move parts of the resort, and in particular to Long Arm and Kangaroo Ridge.

skichanger

A Local
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
It's actually much more than that, it's things like redundancy in safety switches and cabling etc. The actual ropes and pulleys stuff is easy, it's all the other stuff you don't see. A HR Holden has 4 wheels, a motor and brakes, but try getting it past ADR's now. And just because it is done around the world doesn't mean it can be done here.
Are you meaning to be patronising? Cause that is how that reads to this ex railways engineer.

Chookfooter

Cranky Curmudgeon
Ski Pass
May 11, 2020
Are you meaning to be patronising? Cause that is how that reads to this ex railways engineer.
No, and I'm sorry it reads that way. The technical bloke from Perisher was explaining to me the compliance issues a couple of years ago when the only 2 lifts in Australia that complied to the standards were the freedom and Arthur's Seat, but obviously there are a few more now. He was also telling me what what was necessary to bring existing lifts up to standard. The problem they have installing a second hand lift is that it has to conform to all current standards, where existing lifts don't have to be upgraded. New cars have to have ABS, but you don't need to fit ABS to the HR. The other interesting thing he pointed out was that ski lifts come under the same workcover jurisdiction as theme parks and following the Dreamworld deaths resorts are going to be looked at very closely, most of Australian ski lifts are older than the waterslide and age was identified as a major contributor.

skichanger

A Local
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
No, and I'm sorry it reads that way. The technical bloke from Perisher was explaining to me the compliance issues a couple of years ago when the only 2 lifts in Australia that complied to the standards were the freedom and Arthur's Seat, but obviously there are a few more now. He was also telling me what what was necessary to bring existing lifts up to standard. The problem they have installing a second hand lift is that it has to conform to all current standards, where existing lifts don't have to be upgraded. New cars have to have ABS, but you don't need to fit ABS to the HR. The other interesting thing he pointed out was that ski lifts come under the same workcover jurisdiction as theme parks and following the Dreamworld deaths resorts are going to be looked at very closely, most of Australian ski lifts are older than the waterslide and age was identified as a major contributor.
All good.

Theme park rides, one of the last things I ever want to do as I see the risks as being way to high.

One of the issues we have is that when something happens we have this knee jerk reaction and implement rules that are often overly cautious. Personally I think they should be looking at consequences of failure of the various components and implement maintenance regimes appropriate to that. But that would require common sense.......

malas1

One of Us
Ski Pass
Dec 1, 2015
Yes, they've got the fan guns. They arrived in Dec or Jan. They're being used at CP this season. There will be some on mountain changes but not sure to what extent as yet.
Lift to the trig above township and racecourse, park area between the trig and racecourse, snowmaking on kangaroo ridge
Oh and clean fill from lobs hole to raise the hill the trig sits on

Reactions: DPS Driver

Heath

First Runs
May 31, 2021
Lift to the trig above township and racecourse, park area between the trig and racecourse, snowmaking on kangaroo ridge
What is the “trig” lmao

MattyHoll

One of Us
Aug 17, 2016
It was a tricky entrance for the lift queue + a bit of rocket launch. Definitely had a high proportion of fails on that poma.
Pulled hard at the beginning, helped if you held onto it at first before tucking it between legs. Just think of it as a deep water start behind a boat and you'd have no problem haha.

MattyHoll

One of Us
Aug 17, 2016
Legit or bs? Actually raising the height of the hill?

MattyHoll

One of Us
Aug 17, 2016
@malas1, have you been up there this week. Just wondering what the coverage is like. Planning to head up Wednesday morning for a hike, but if there is snow I'll pack skis. thanks.

Reactions: stridercdh

malas1

One of Us
Ski Pass
Dec 1, 2015
Sorry MH,working in Jindabyne at the moment and havent been over there.

warrie

One of Us
Jun 15, 2008
Sydney
@malas1, have you been up there this week. Just wondering what the coverage is like. Planning to head up Wednesday morning for a hike, but if there is snow I'll pack skis. thanks.
Snowy Hydro is your guide. Deep Ck is at zero cm of snow as seen below. The sampling site is at 1600 m cf top of Selwyn at 1614m about 20 km northeast of Deep Ck site. The nearest cam is at Lake Eucumbene at 1200 m but shows hills to 1700m on the far right pivot. Bottom line is no snow today.
1625017723148.png

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass