News Selwyn Extensively Damaged

warrie

One of Us
Jun 15, 2008
Sydney
A few people driving around up there today. No snow left, but looks like a bit of work has been going on since I last drove through. Road open now, to the dam and rms depot. Didn’t bother going beyond that, but I did get a photo of the courthouse at Kiandra with its new roof.

123EB27E-EFAD-4D6C-A7CD-284160B78FCE.jpeg
New roof on and windows boarded up so as to keep weather out. Somewhere north of $300 grand's worth of restoration went up in smoke. It may be ready to reopen in 2 years as no work done in winter, tradesmen hard to get, red and green tape galore etc. Should it have been demolished and the $$ put elsewhere into NP spending. Decisions, decisions.

DPS Driver

A Local
Jul 18, 2014
That guy who does the Selwyn reports sounds so enthusiastic. Not a bad gig, doing imaginary snow reports for a resort nobody can go to LOL I wonder if he has actually been there?
You do know that 2XL and Mt Selwyn are both owned by The Blyton Group. ie gotta keep the name out there.

robbo mcs

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 1, 2008
Kenthurst / Jindabyne
You do know that 2XL and Mt Selwyn are both owned by The Blyton Group. ie gotta keep the name out there.
I am aware. Also aware they own the cinemas in Jindy and Cooma as well as running Cooma airport. Hence the endless stream of ads on XLFM for Charlottes, Selwyn, Cinemas, Flights etc. You have to hand it to Kevin, he is the master of cross promotion, and seems to be very effective strategy for them.

If I think they are promoting Selwyn hard now, imagine what it will be like next year;) I really hope they do well though, the industry in NSW really needs a good quality beginners and family resort.

DPS Driver

A Local
Jul 18, 2014
I am aware. Also aware they own the cinemas in Jindy and Cooma as well as running Cooma airport. Hence the endless stream of ads on XLFM for Charlottes, Selwyn, Cinemas, Flights etc. You have to hand it to Kevin, he is the master of cross promotion, and seems to be very effective strategy for them.

If I think they are promoting Selwyn hard now, imagine what it will be like next year;) I really hope they do well though, the industry in NSW really needs a good quality beginners and family resort.
Yes, Kevin doesn't miss a beat.

Selwyn will be awesome when it's completed. Selwyn know their market and they will be able to better cater to it. Plus the new systems will give them as good, if not better capabilities re marketing, ticket sales, rental, lockers etc. as the larger resorts. It will be humming.

The region has suffered with it not being open and catering to its market.

MattyHoll

One of Us
Aug 17, 2016
New roof on and windows boarded up so as to keep weather out. Somewhere north of $300 grand's worth of restoration went up in smoke. It may be ready to reopen in 2 years as no work done in winter, tradesmen hard to get, red and green tape galore etc. Should it have been demolished and the $$ put elsewhere into NP spending. Decisions, decisions.
Maybe, but they waste money in other areas i'd imagine. Its all that's left standing there, so kinda a shame to just demolish it.

Reactions: art

Mr. Mook

One of Us
May 21, 2001
Macquarie Fields, NSW
No infrastructure to benefit from last 48 hrs dump. Any building happening?
from https://www.selwynsnow.com.au/ today:

First Chairlift in Rebuild Commissioned

The Blyton Group has today announced that Doppelmayr Australia have completed work on the rebuild of the New Chum chairlift at Selwyn Snow Resort.

The resort was extensively damaged in the Black Summer bushfires, which resulted in it being unable to operate for the 2020 and 2021 snow seasons.

The upgrade work undertaken on New Chum chairlift included replacement chairs, upgraded towers, a new Variable Speed Drive to control the lift speed to assist guests, as well as the expansion and upgrade of the Unload Platform. All existing operating components have been upgraded to make the Chairlift a full Doppelmayr lift.

Doppelmayr Australia are continuing their work at the resort, with repairs currently underway on all other lifts as well as the installation of three brand new snow carpet lifts.

Ewan Murdoch, Group Operations Manager of the Blyton Group said “Doppelmayr have done an excellent job with the commissioning of New Chum, one of the signature lifts at the resort.”

Selwyn Snow Resort is in the northern part of the Kosciuszko National Park. Located near the town of Adaminaby, Selwyn is a day visitor snow resort with easy access from Cooma, Tumut, Wagga Wagga and Canberra.

Selwyn Snow Resort will be all new in 2022 and will reopen to the public on Saturday 11th June 2022.

For media enquiries, please contact Laura Grubisa - Communications Officer on media@selwynsnow.com.au

SMSkier

One of Us
Ski Pass
Oct 4, 2016
Yes, Kevin doesn't miss a beat.

Selwyn will be awesome when it's completed. Selwyn know their market and they will be able to better cater to it. Plus the new systems will give them as good, if not better capabilities re marketing, ticket sales, rental, lockers etc. as the larger resorts. It will be humming.

The region has suffered with it not being open and catering to its market.

He sure did not miss a beat getting one big step ahead of parks when it came to managing the insurance funds, making announcements and such. Probably the only “new” ski resort we will ever see into the foreseeable future.

BrindiCruiser

Addicted
Jul 24, 2016
He sure did not miss a beat getting one big step ahead of parks when it came to managing the insurance funds, making announcements and such. Probably the only “new” ski resort we will ever see into the foreseeable future.
I hope they announce their season pass packages in Sept when the Epic passes etc are announced.

From memory, their season passes ranged from $199 kids to $399 adults. With lower price for locals, which I think was $199.

Reactions: GlendaN and SMSkier

MattyHoll

One of Us
Aug 17, 2016
I hope they announce their season pass packages in Sept when the Epic passes etc are announced.

From memory, their season passes ranged from $199 kids to $399 adults. With lower price for locals, which I think was $199.
It was like $30/month. And cheaper for locals. But I’m suspecting they might rise prices a bit due to demand etc. Who knows.

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
Goverment run Baw Baw doesn't have to make a profit (subsidies are huge), Selwyn does.

It's also not run as a public service. If that were the case, it wouldn't have the highest cost for vehicle entry out of all the resorts in Victoria.

It still competes against the other lifted skiing in Vic, so the pricing has to be competitive to entice people away from the bigger resorts - much the same can be said about Selwyn.

Onlybackscratchers

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 7, 2017
It's also not run as a public service. If that were the case, it wouldn't have the highest cost for vehicle entry out of all the resorts in Victoria.

It still competes against the other lifted skiing in Vic, so the pricing has to be competitive to entice people away from the bigger resorts - much the same can be said about Selwyn.
Well it is run by public service, that's what goverment run means. Regardless of the high parking costs, which are similar to other vic resorts anyways, it requires millions in subsidies every year.

But that was not the point I was making, it was about Selwyn needing to make a profit and comparing it to Baw Baw pricing is a bit disambiguous.

The size of the resorts are similar, there would have been a time when Baw Baw had more reliable natural cover, but climate change is hurting Baw Baw badly whilst Selwyn has been able to adapt with snowmaking and it's much larger window to make snow than Baw Baw.

Fun fact, Selwyn tried to purchase Baw Baw lift operations in about 87. The offer made suited the smaller shareholders but the larger shareholders didn't like it, they obtained a injunction to stop a proposed meeting and Selwyn moved on.

Giraffe

Hard Yards
Jun 17, 2019
Selwyn is a bit bigger - or at least felt like it was when we went there. It may just be that it is more open though.
Quick google to confirm Selwyn 45 hectares vs 30 for Baw Baw. Baw Baw village is certainly larger but less skiable area.

warrie

One of Us
Jun 15, 2008
Sydney
This is in the area so peruse if you please:
The period of public exhibition of the Draft Amendment to the Kosciuszko National Park Plan of Management and draft precinct plans for Yarrangobilly Caves and Currango Homestead have been extended from 16 August to 23 August 2021.

The draft amendment and precinct plans can be viewed at www.environment.nsw.gov.au/get-involved/have-your-say or NPWS Offices in Jindabyne (46 Kosciuszko Road) or Tumut (4A Adelong Drive). The existing plan of management is located at www.environment.nsw.gov.au/research-and-publications/publications-search/kosciuszko-national-park-plan-of-management. It is recommended that readers of the draft amendment do so in reference to the existing plan.

You are invited to provide feedback on the draft plan by sending a written submission via:
Written submissions must be received by 23 August 2021. Your submission will be read by NPWS staff and provided to two advisory bodies. See www.environment.nsw.gov.au/help/privacy.htm for information on how we will treat any personal information you provide.

If you have any questions about the park or the draft plan, please contact me at npws.parkplanning@environment.nsw.gov.au.

1627002771341.png
Andrew Growcock
Manager Planning, Evaluation & Assessment
NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass