News Selwyn Extensively Damaged

Aractus

One of Us
Sep 5, 2018
Canberra
Who'd have thought Mt Selwyn would have the most modern base facilities of any ski resort in Australia.

That's not exactly difficult to accomplish. LOL

Selwyn's market is the beginner / cruiser / families / tour groups / schools groups market. They know they're not Verbier and that's OK, they will provide a really nice experience for first timers and their market.
You would be surprised how much the businesses in Cooma rely on Selwyn and so too do the bigger resorts. It's a pressure valve for Jindy, Thredbo and Perisher traffic wise both on the roads and the mountains.

Perisher's actually pretty good for beginners so long as you know where to go (i.e. not Front Valley) and the resort buildings have a lot more space compared with Thredbo. Early Season and Late Season when all the GOOD beginner area are closed is when Perisher isn't really suitable and there even Thredbo is better. Friday Flat is literally perfect as a first-timer/novice slope, but it really needs to have more indoor space for people to sit and take it easy.

People with little or no experience need to be able to take it slowly and go at their own pace otherwise they are risking injury, and Thredbo's limited indoor spaces don't cater to that. It looks like Selwyn has that balance right with the size of their new resort building. Good for them, they'll do very well - and a larger building will actually increase resort capacity just by virtue of the fact if you can spend 20-25% of your time comfortably sitting down indoors, then each guest will on average use less time on the ski lifts.

Hopefully I can visit this year! :)

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

BrindiCruiser

One of Us
Jul 24, 2016
All of which I intend to avoid.

It's great to see Selwyn rebuilt and we will probably go for a slide this year for the girlfriend to tick it off if nothing else.
I plan to go for a day this year, depending on lift tickets prices and may get a season pass for Selwyn next year. Still watching up dates with a lot of interest.

Marty McSly

Not a monster
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2011
Hunter Valley Whine Country, NSW
Selwyn has traditionally catered for a different part of the market compared to say Perisher and Thredbo.
That was demonstrated very graphically when I spent a couple of days there on the way to Falls Creek in 2019.

I put my skis in the rack at lunchtime, and they were probably 15cm longer than the next longest pair in the rack

BrindiCruiser

One of Us
Jul 24, 2016
But you have to negotiate Front Valley to get there. Unless of course you're referring to the entirety of Perisher resort, so Smiggins and Blue Cow are in the mix.
I reckon smiggins and selwyn have a fair bit in common in terms of terrain and suitability for beginners. Although terrain is a bit gentler at selwyn.

Reactions: Marty McSly

SMSkier

One of Us
Ski Pass
Oct 4, 2016
A few of the tradies I know who have been working at Selwyn mentioned last week that it would other not reopen in June.

Resort has confirmed. Hopefully that date holds. The skiing community (guests, businesses and other resorts) need Selwyn up and running.

kiter

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 21, 2002
Newcastle
I have been trying to find out what lifts will be operational . I am thinking a season pass for my family but not if its for new chum chair and a magic carpet only . I understand the constraints and challenges to get this happening but some clear information about lifting would be in order

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

kiter

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 21, 2002
Newcastle
A few of the tradies I know who have been working at Selwyn mentioned last week that it would other not reopen in June.

Resort has confirmed. Hopefully that date holds. The skiing community (guests, businesses and other resorts) need Selwyn up and running.

Can you ask your tradie mates if they know some info about the lifts that will be open and how snowmaking systems are coming along

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass