News Selwyn Wins!

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Clarence Town
I thought prior to last year

would agree with that from your point of view.

press releases and supplying reliable report feeds has been hopeless for a few years longer.

last year it all fell over as you say - reports were so woeful I stopped manually updating and just removed them from our reports completely.

Reactions: BrindiCruiser
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Jacko4650

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 15, 2014
Honestly with all the snow report angst on Snow FM last year, this will be Kevin sticking it up Perisher. Don’t be fooled into thinking this is out of the goodness of their hearts.
Still can't understand Perisher and their tiff with Snow FM. Grown ups need to get over personality clashes for the sake of . . . . . . . their customers.

skichic

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003
Still can't understand Perisher and their tiff with Snow FM. Grown ups need to get over personality clashes for the sake of . . . . . . . their customers.
Well none of us have the details do we? Perisher made a business decision to longer use radio advertising, said radio made a point of it. Perhaps the owner of the radio station also owning 50% of the local hills looked like a conflict of interest?

Forgot, he also owns the cinemas in Cooma and Jindy.

Jacko4650

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 15, 2014
I actually know him . LOL
He's from down this way.
So I call in up there for cuppa and a chat from time to time , usually when the weather is shit-full.
I've spoken to him about it and it's not the bc crew , just the punters in general, and lack of common sense shown in their parking etiquette , or rather lack of.
btw it's only 10 minute walk from the Nordic car-park back down the road (not the one on the bend bottom parachute).
I never have any dramas as I get to the car park early but I must admit, for a small car park, there are some very inconsiderate people that park 7/8's of a car width away from you to often. Sorry off-topic - if I was down there now (as distinct from next week) I would love to ski Selwyn to see what it is like. There are friends and rellies that might have a perfect fit with this smaller, flatter resort, so free sampling of the goodies can do wonders. Good on em.

Reactions: nfip

Jacko4650

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 15, 2014
Well none of us have the details do we? Perisher made a business decision to longer use radio advertising, said radio made a point of it. Perhaps the owner of the radio station also owning 50% of the local hills looked like a conflict of interest?

I get that part, but Snow FM provides an information service where Perisher customers were excluded last year. They made a point of saying that Perisher didn't have to pay to broadcast the information, but it still didn't happen. Snow FM is a good product so its a shame you have to down tools (or coffee mugs) to go on-line just to get the snow report just for perisher if that's the mountain you ski. This is not advisable if driving. I never seem to get that time, so have to second guess what Perisher's conditions will be based on Thredbo and C.P.'s reports. Many others visiting the region don't know this and simply wonder why they are not being given the information.

Xwing

One of Us
Jun 22, 2016
Ahhh, right - I didn't know that "Snow FM" was a thing, so I was very confused, wondered if you were trying to say "They make up for it on snow, fam (i.e. mate etc)." :D
Don't worry - snow FM is the worst radio station ever...and I have worked in radio as recently as two weeks back.

skichic

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003
Don't worry - snow FM is the worst radio station ever...and I have worked in radio as recently as two weeks back.
So bad. There was plenty of advertising on Saturday, regarding the “first ski resort in Aus to open”.

Between ads for CP, Selwyn, the airport and the cinemas, there’s not much room for any other content.

MattyHoll

One of Us
Aug 17, 2016
Honestly with all the snow report angst on Snow FM last year, this will be Kevin sticking it up Perisher. Don’t be fooled into thinking this is out of the goodness of their hearts.

I'd be taking the opportunity to stick it to Perisher too.

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Clarence Town
There's more to this than meets the eye.

There is also the bit where (imho) Perisher's overall product marketing the last five years has been exceptional. Knowing a few of the team there, I'd guarantee they have done the numbers and worked out that Local FM reporting does not make a material difference to the daily decision tree of where to ski - especially for the under 40's.

Of print and free-to-air TV, radio has been the least disrupted by the Internet this last 20 years - but that inevitable disruption is starting to creep in now with the rise of podcasts. Perisher may simply be first to drop the medium from it's mix and that's being interpreted as something else.

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
The prevalence of music streaming services, especially those that allow you to download songs for offline listening, has allowed for the disruption of a lot of FM radio.

Reactions: Donza and Bogong

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Clarence Town
The prevalence of music streaming services, especially those that allow you to download songs for offline listening, has allowed for the disruption of a lot of FM radio.

yes, to an extent.

'drivetime' is basically what is still holding up FM radio in the cities. Streaming music services like spotify wasn't making a noticeable dent with that but the rise and rise of non-music podcasts is being felt. It's why all the radio stations are scrambling to create/commission podcast fodder.

this is telling I reckon.. when the name of the show you are watching on TV, is named after a different media format..

3F2383BC-CF01-4F76-976C-E16205B85F4A.jpeg

Reactions: nezumi

snowmobile

One of Us
May 16, 2002
Canberra
Canberra's 104.7 is the leader of crap radio stations.
For example they have pre recorded traffic reports from Sydney or Melb and never have a live report of current conditions or accidents.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Jacko4650

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 15, 2014
A contemporary media would include "live" references such as local weather and traffic conditions mixed in with music or chat to suit the audience, up to date social issues based on social media and news. Radio, particularly in drive-time slots, has the undeniable convenience factor. One click and its on. As per Richard's thoughts, Perisher might well have realised that the initial purchase decision for a lift ticket might be made elsewhere, but it would be a gutsy marketing manager that considered brand reinforcement to be ignored. Making people feel good about purchasing a product (or service) is right up there with getting them to buy it in the first place.
Hearing about "your" resort (ie: the one you just paid a shiteload of money to) in the snow reports is as much to do with brand reinforcement, loyalty and retention as it is about acquisition. For sustained growth, ignore at your peril. Just my opinion

D-eye

Photographer and skier
Ski Pass
Jan 21, 2001
Canberra
deyephotography.com
There's more to this than meets the eye.

There is also the bit where (imho) Perisher's overall product marketing the last five years has been exceptional. Knowing a few of the team there, I'd guarantee they have done the numbers and worked out that Local FM reporting does not make a material difference to the daily decision tree of where to ski - especially for the under 40's.

I haven't listened to Snow FM on the drive down for years. Then again my location is fixed by season pass, the day picked by availability of time off and the forecast leading up to it. If there's a concern about road conditions due to weather I check live traffic before I leave and at a quick stop at Berridale. Music by personal choice, and best of all no ads.

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Clarence Town
the initial purchase decision for a lift ticket might be made elsewhere, but it would be a gutsy marketing manager that considered brand reinforcement to be ignored. Making people feel good about purchasing a product (or service) is right up there with getting them to buy it in the first place.

110%

This is why there’s more to it than meets the eye. There may be dispute over Charlotte Perisher relations involving access to facilities or assets or who knows what.

Aractus

One of Us
Sep 5, 2018
Canberra

I couldn't agree more. Thredbo uses the service. Snow FM also relays the RMS advice on all winter roads in to all resorts.

"50%" is a stretch, Perisher owns 4 resorts, so counting that way would mean he owns 29% of NSW ski resorts. However that also doesn't account for the fact that they're small resorts, so when you're talking about "local hills" and specifically skiiable terrain serviced by the resorts the percentage would be much smaller.

Of print and free-to-air TV, radio has been the least disrupted by the Internet this last 20 years - but that inevitable disruption is starting to creep in now with the rise of podcasts. Perisher may simply be first to drop the medium from it's mix and that's being interpreted as something else.

Rubbish, there's no other way to get the information while driving, and those of us who drive 2WDs are particularly interested in the RMS report because if road is icy and chains are required lots of people alter their plans accordingly (wait in Jindy, change resort, use Skitube, etc). There's also no more convenient way to get the information either.

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
"50%" is a stretch, Perisher owns 4 resorts, so counting that way would mean he owns 29% of NSW ski resorts. However that also doesn't account for the fact that they're small resorts, so when you're talking about "local hills" and specifically skiiable terrain serviced by the resorts the percentage would be much smaller.

That's a very long semantic bow to draw. In the NSW main range, you can buy a lift ticket for Thredbo, Perisher, Charlotte Pass or Selwyn. Of those, half are owned (or at least directly controlled) by one person. The argument wasn't 50% of skiable terrain, or 50% of lifting infrastructure - it was 50% of the local hills, which I interpret as 50% of the places where you can buy a lift ticket.

Marty McSly

Not a monster
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2011
Hunter Valley Whine Country, NSW
'drivetime' is basically what is still holding up FM radio in the cities
And in the regions too. I'll choose between Kennedy Molloy or KT&M driving to work for dogwatch between 5.30 and 6.30pm. But coming home from daywork, 7.30 to 8.30pm, the choices are total crap. Talkback on Triple M FFS. Triple M, whose motto used to be Triple Your Music. WTF???? Vyle and Tacky O's D list on NEW-FM, who gives a shit? Some nobody on HIT-FM with "R&B". Rap doesn't sound like R&B to me FFS.

That's when Spotify comes into its own. I just spin if and see what randomly comes out.

Aractus

One of Us
Sep 5, 2018
Canberra
That's a very long semantic bow to draw. In the NSW main range, you can buy a lift ticket for Thredbo, Perisher, Charlotte Pass or Selwyn. Of those, half are owned (or at least directly controlled) by one person. The argument wasn't 50% of skiable terrain, or 50% of lifting infrastructure - it was 50% of the local hills, which I interpret as 50% of the places where you can buy a lift ticket.

Sure, but it represents nowhere near half the number of actual skiiers and snowboarders. So it's grossly over-representing the market-share of Blyton Group (owned by Kevin). The fact is if Snow FM wasn't owned by Kevin then Perisher would be giving their snow report. The fact that the radio station doesn't declare joint-ownership with Charlottes, Selwyn, and other properties is definitely wrong, doesn't meet community expectations to say the least. But to say they own 50% of {abstraction related to NSW ski fields} is just wrong as well and an example of how statistics can lie. Remember Perisher owns 4 resorts, Blyton owns 2, so by that calculation there are actually three resort providers in NSW (noting that Corin Forest is in ACT otherwise they must be counted) which means they have 33% ownership over ski fields. Geographically taking into account Corin Forest it's 25%. Take into account Vertikal Indoor Snow Sports and it's 20%. And that's just "ownership", and an example of how statistics can lie.

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Also the RMS road information on snow FM is incorrect. It doesn't update frequently.
As are the weather forecasts.
Any helpful local content is brushed over with wall to wall ads and pop songs.

D-eye

Photographer and skier
Ski Pass
Jan 21, 2001
Canberra
deyephotography.com
All it takes is a quick look at the live traffic and BOM apps along with the snow cams here before heading out the door to find out if it's worth heading out today.

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
All it takes is a quick look at the live traffic and BOM apps along with the snow cams here before heading out the door to find out if it's worth heading out today.
Unless your're driving solo from Canberra or so forth.
Which is unusual

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass