goughs bay
opmain.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

doppelganger

First Runs
Mar 27, 2007
2 or more places simultaneously
Sredni Vashtar said:
If any of this is true, it's astonishing that Judy Ward still has a job anywhere! If it's all true, I'm amazed that the local Chamber of Commerce don't start chasing her with pitchforks!

Who says they are not doing this?

(I wondered when you would make your promised appearance SV)

ausi ski bum

A Local
Jan 1, 1970
Near Cootamundra NSW
Re: "Senior alpine staff in dubious expense claims

Actually I am being careful what I say on this topic (I am a stakeholder after all) but lets just say Big Al is fairly correct, I was having a Breakfast with a group of stakeholders who were having way to much fun with this. I don't think to many of them were upset that JW is in trouble.

The old saying that any news is good news, well FC got front page on the Age, even Ian Talbot has not achieved that with his press releases.

willscarlet

First Runs
Sep 17, 2004
Melbourne

ausi ski bum said:
... I was having a Breakfast with a group of stakeholders who were having way to much fun with this.
If joking was their reaction to news of her alleged corruption, then it sounds like they deserve to have this kind of board leadership.

HiLo

Old n' Crusty
Mar 26, 2001
Yarra Valley

ausi ski bum said:
HiLo said:
Where's ASB?

I thought you made it clear you did not want the info I have on Falls Creek. Where is ASB, I have been skiing

Of course I'm interested in your information. I just have this habit of analysing it for consistency and logic, which you don't always seem to appreciate.
wink.gif

It's good to hear from you!
smile.gif

Big Al

First Runs
Jun 7, 2007
VIC

Will be interesting if the "heat" gets too hot on this one. There are lots of people watching the comments on this forum, just lurking waiting to pounce as soon as someone says too much. One of my comments already got taken off.
This could be the new contraversal subject of this season. Bit of a change from oversnow eh!

But at the end of the day, will she get away with it, unfortunatley I think so. just too many high level connections.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

ausi ski bum

A Local
Jan 1, 1970
Near Cootamundra NSW

Big Al said:
Bit of a change from oversnow eh!

But at the end of the day, will she get away with it, unfortunatley I think so. just too many high level connections.

Most likely will however once you are under this sort of critisism you generally become a lame duck leader and you may as well resign anyway for the good of the organisation you are representing.

I like your new cafe BTW Big Al

Big Al

First Runs
Jun 7, 2007
VIC

ausi ski bum said:
Big Al said:
Bit of a change from oversnow eh!

Most likely will however once you are under this sort of critisism you generally become a lame duck leader and you may as well resign anyway for the good of the organisation you are representing.

I like your new cafe BTW Big Al

You would be surprised ASB, I may not be who you think I am..

ausi ski bum

A Local
Jan 1, 1970
Near Cootamundra NSW

Yeh didn't think you were Al actually he is registered on here under his real name. Just checking.

Must admit the town had a real positive buzz about it on the weekend, was refreshing.

Big Al

First Runs
Jun 7, 2007
VIC

A little more background...

Ms Ward has been a professional director since retiring as a partner of PricewaterhouseCoopers in 2001. She is a director of VicForests, Doxa Youth Foundation, Australian Community Support Organisation, Disability Housing Limited, and is chairman of Falls Creek Alpine Resort and a member of the Alpine Resorts Coordinating Council. Prior roles include, inter alia, the Transport Accident Commission, Melbourne Girls Grammar School and chair of Merton Hall Foundation, and as senior partner and Executive Director - Tax of Price Waterhouse in Australia, Indonesia and New Zealand.

Ms Ward was appointed to Council membership in June 2005 to fill a casual vacancy. She is currently the chairperson to the Audit and Risk Committee of which she has been a member since 2005.

Qualifications
BCom(Melb), FCA, FTIA, MAICD

Bogong

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jun 16, 2005
More woke than thou.
www.australianmountains.com

I'm convinced that she won't resign or even put out a "whoops, I made a very big mistake, but I'll learn from it" press release.

As one on the "chosen elites", she and her chums will dismiss anything in the media (or on forums like this) as uninformed "punter talk". In her own little insular world, our opinions on her behaviour and whether it was ethical or not just don't count, despite the fact that we represent the demographic that cares most about skiing and the ski industry.

It is interesting that not one person, here or in the media, has come forward to defend her.

Big Al

First Runs
Jun 7, 2007
VIC

You can certainly make a living being on many boards by the look of it. You may also be able to hide and take no responsibility in Govt organisations. Pitty FCRM is not privatised. I reckon then you would see some action! Stakeholders (ie you and me) would cast a vote and then things would change!

ausi ski bum

A Local
Jan 1, 1970
Near Cootamundra NSW

Its a shame the Alpine boards are not elected like Shire Councils but with all interested parties beiing able to put up a nomination and not just residents, voting by stakeholders.

Bogong

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jun 16, 2005
More woke than thou.

I don't like the idea of a fully appointed board, but currently there are a few good people on the Falls Creek board. Perhaps it should have a few govt/bureaucratic appointees, two members elected by "stakeholders" and a punters or skiers rep from something like the old VSA.

The bureaucrats and politicians won't give up their control of the board, but having a few board members who are directly ANSWERABLE to local business and skiers would inject a bit of focus and direction into a board that currently isn't really answerable to anyone except other bureaucrats.

I think this lack of accountability for its actions is one of the reasons that it has been so utterly dysfunctional in a number of areas in recent years and why it allows Judy Ward to give scarce skiers money to her political mates.

HiLo

Old n' Crusty
Mar 26, 2001
Yarra Valley

Interesting that Judy Ward is on the board of Disability Housing Limited, especially given the total absence of accessible housing at Falls Creek.

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com

ausi ski bum said:
Its a shame the Alpine boards are not elected like Shire Councils but with all interested parties beiing able to put up a nomination and not just residents, voting by stakeholders.

Absolutely.

ausi ski bum

A Local
Jan 1, 1970
Near Cootamundra NSW

HiLo said:
Interesting that Judy Ward is on the board of Disability Housing Limited, especially given the total absence of accessible housing at Falls Creek.

I was thinking the same, coming from the Disability area myself I often get asked about disabled facilities at Falls Creek and the only one I can ever recomend is the Country Club. The lift company is brilliant with disabled yet there is so little accommodation that would support growth in this area.

I think she is just waiting until the noise dies down, so she can continue in her cushy job. I think we're impotent on the subject, except to the extent we can still make a bit of noise whenever we see a state politician or relevant bureaucrat.

But Bogong has a point. During my time as an outsider reading this forum and more recently as a member, I've seen people with a huge diversity of views on all subjects. I find it incredible that not one person has defended Judy Ward or her actions in any way. She doesn't seem to have any friends left.

deep@niseko

First Runs
Jun 20, 2007

This topic is interesting, as the Chairman of the ARCC, Andrew Fairley is implicated as well. You may recall Ms Ward appointed him to a previous Falls Creek Board, despite his strong (and continued) ties to Mt Buller. It is well known that he pressed the Minister strongly to reappoint Ms Ward for a further 3 years. This is despite her appalling record of staff losses (CEO-to-go) and, as has now become clear, her dubious financial management.

Phew, and to get an honourary mention by name in the editorial of the Fin Review yesterday is indeed a feat. Even scored a mention on ABC774 by Stephen Mayne.

She should resign. [deleted by admin - slander]

Apresski

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
If there are 200,000 people visiting LM each year, I suspect a few people must be going vey regularly! I don't know a soul who goes to LM.

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
when I lived in Melbourne I went a few times each season to LM if I couldn't get up to falls for a weekend. I knew quite a few people who often went xc, even if they were downhillers most of the time.

These days I can xc at falls (on very rare occasions) and know many FC xc-ers.

HiLo

Old n' Crusty
Mar 26, 2001
Yarra Valley

Apresski said:
If there are 200,000 people visiting LM each year, I suspect a few people must be going vey regularly! I don't know a soul who goes to LM.

Don't just trust us. Visit yourself one day. Check out the carpark for yourself.

Be a leader among your peers, not just a follower.

The Loose Binding

First Runs
Jun 6, 2003
I don't know Judy Ward at all but I find it quite astonishing that a series of posts by a well-known Melbourne female journalist under anonymous guise on a website can cause such a bashathon of someone's integrity and reputation.

One thing I do hope is that in time, but hopefully not as a result of this thread and on this excellent website, that the Judy Wards of the world eventually test the defammation laws of the country and how they relate to the internet.

Have a look at what is being posted here and from whom.

You should all take a deep breath and think about what you are doing here. Put yourself in the position of the attacked and slandered.

And yes, some of us were quick to defend the Niseko poster himself when he was shamefully attacked in a similar manner a year or two ago.

ausi ski bum

A Local
Jan 1, 1970
Near Cootamundra NSW
TLB I am not so sure people have crossed a line here, pretty much they have discussed the issues raised in the news media. Obviously a senior staff member of Board member needs to be very careful in what they do, they need to be accountable for their actions and they need to preserve the integrity of their position.

I would have liked to see a full and frank explanation of the events and if errors have been made, most of the people I know can accept people make mistakes.

I think peopls have been pretty restrained in their posting.

Bogong

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jun 16, 2005
More woke than thou.
Loose Binding. The Age (and now several other media outlets) routinely have solicitors run their eye over stuff, so if they can print it, we are okay to say it. I think we have all been very careful because we don't want Ian and Richard to get in trouble for what we say. Surely you don't wish them ill, do you?

But this is one of the exceptionally rare times I completely agree with both ASB and HiLo. The silence has been deafening. After being condemened in a prominent article in a major newspaper, almost everyone issues a press release of some sort.

Deep@Niseko's revelations earlier in this thread only make things look even dodger for Judy Ward and her board.
The very silence and lack of response is highly unusual except for people preparing to resign. If this doesn't happen very soon, I think we can ask Judy Ward to "please explain" and offer either a rebutal or a resignation.

HiLo

Old n' Crusty
Mar 26, 2001
Yarra Valley
People like Judy Ward are paid for with our taxes. I feel we have a right to know that the money is being is being well spent. Right now I have some doubts.

The Loose Binding

First Runs
Jun 6, 2003
Your point is well made HiLo.

No ill will is intended, I can assure you. But like many, I do have concerns about people having their integrity and reputations dragged over hot coals by anonymous preople on internet forums, many times by people with agendas of their own to push.

As for the person who started this thread, why did she not just start her own blog or write a comment piece in her own media and put her name to it?

Answer: because it's far easier for her to come on to an internet forum in the dead of the night, before even the said piece is published, and start the kicking anonymously.

HiLo

Old n' Crusty
Mar 26, 2001
Yarra Valley
Yes. Motives are worth trying to understand. Truth is also important. Secrecy doesn't encourage truth. There is a lot of that around these days.

teckel

"I'm not a cat"
Ski Pass
Oct 16, 2004
Narbethong, Vic
www.mysticmountainsskihire.com.au
Apresski said:
LM is a place where the ordinary people of Melbourne go, and the super-elite (ie: XC skiers
tongue.gif
) The average elite go to the major resorts. Talk to the average mum and dad, and they'll tell you all about LM.

Apresski

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
I was listening to John Thwaites on radio this morning trying to justify a week in the snow and 2 separate weeks at Wilsons' Prom for his family. However he paints it people do not take their family to work with them. It is opportunism and he has been found out. If he wants to be informed as to how ski resorts work, it is justifiable to visit for a period of time and if he wants to take his family then he should pay for them.

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
I think this is getting silly now.

Anyone in tourism, or any enterprise wanting government support, will try to get influential people to experience what they are offering. Living in a small town, I can see how desperate people are to get ministers to visit, and how p1ssed off they are when they can't get their attention. I am sure most stakeholders at FC are more than happy to have Thwaites and other ministers up there whenever they get them. If inviting their families too makes them more likely to find time in the diary, then this would not be seen as a problem. If you want governments to understand skier/boarder perspectives, you want to encourage them to ski/board. I've seen Thwaites out skiing a few times. He just behaves like any other skier, having a good time. I really don't see this as a rort.

If you want to go down this track, let's wonder why LJH always has pressing business in London when the Ashes are on

Ian D

Pool Room
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Newcastle
ski.com.au
Good place to finish this on I think Currawong.

Nothing else will be achieved here by continuing this discussion. Anyone interested in putting their 2 bob in has.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass