1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Event SEQ/NE NSW Rain & Storms 23rd-31st October 2020

Discussion in 'Daily & Chat' started by MegaMatch, Oct 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MegaMatch

MegaMatch One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I'll kick this one off. A strong upper level trough currently moving into western QLD and NSW will begin to slow in the next 24-36 hours before virtually stalling across the west of both states. This trough will assist a surface trough in producing widespread rain, shower and storm activity across the west of the state tomorrow, possibly leaking into SEQ tomorrow night.

During Sunday and Monday, this surface trough will push east, contracting the main area of rain and storms further eastwards. There is now good agreement that the southern section of this active trough will move off the SE coast sometime during Monday while a strongish SE change pushes up the SE coast (sadface). However, there is still considerable disagreement as to this change's timing, how far north it gets and its longevity. Storm chances near the coast should temporarily lessen following this change, but I'd probably still expect storms inland especially during the day.

It gets tricky during the middle of the week. At this stage it's looking as though the upper trough could finally make a move eastwards while the surface change either washes out or angles back down the coast, which will once again create that warm, humid, stormy environment again over SEQ, possibly leading to more storms in the later part of the working week. We are getting into highly uncertain territory here though.

Rainfall totals will be very hard to predict...imagine that anywhere in the green on the following chart has the potential to see heavier falls than as shown, it's just that where those heavier falls end up will be highly dependant on factors like small mesoscale features, exactly where the best storms end up forming etc. Some unlucky people will probably be left disappointed while I think most will be somewhat satisfied with the results (here's hoping).

I'm sure Ken and others have many more informative charts to show, so I'll just leave you with WATL:

[​IMG]

2. mannyk

mannyk One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Thanks, at least i understood what you said..Ps is this a good time to top soil my lawn..? :thumbs:

3. Ken Kato

Ken Kato One of Us

So using that EC rainfall calibration database that I was building, here's the comparisons between the historical 24hr rainfall amounts that the EC's 12z runs has forecast for Archerfield in the past (after its last upgrade) and what actually fell:

Forecast lead time of +60hrs (applicable to 10am tomorrow to 10am Sunday): 0.1-9mm (forecast) => 38% resulted in below 0.2mm observed, 54% resulted in 0.2-9mm, and 8% resulted in 10-24mm.

Forecast lead time of +84hrs (applicable to 10am Sunday to 10am Monday): No past cases of the forecast 25-49mm because it's been so dry!

Forecast lead time of +108hrs (applicable to 10am Monday to 10am Tuesday): 0.1-9mm (forecast) => 29% resulted in below 0.2mm observed, 64% resulted in 0.2-9mm, and 7% resulted in 10-24mm.

Forecast lead time of +132hrs (applicable to 10am Tuesday to 10am Wednesday): 10-24mm (forecast) => 20% resulted in below 0.2mm observed, 40% resulted in 0.2-9mm, 20% resulted in 10-24mm, and 20% resulted in 25-49mm.

One thing to be aware of with the 0.2-9mm forecast figures is that I've found the seemingly small difference between the lower threshold of 0.1mm for forecasts and the 0.2mm for obs makes a sizeable difference.... enough to treat the forecast vs obs correlations for no rainfall with a lot of caution. So I've started adding another column specifically for the 1-10mm figures.

Most importantly though, the sample size of those rainfall amounts is still fairly small because it's been so dry so I wouldn't be drawing firm conclusions from them just yet.

4. Slovenski

Slovenski One of Us

Here she comes.

5. Flowin

Flowin One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

6. Ken Kato

Ken Kato One of Us

I should've added that it still looks like Saturday will feature fairly cloudy skies with some showers and patchy rain areas slowly starting to creep into our region from inland ahead of the approaching upper trough (although these may still favour inland and southern parts of our region due to the NNW then NW steering winds aloft).
    Storms... maybe, but the amount of cloud cover and inland rain areas may limit extent and severity.

7. Stormwalker

Stormwalker Hard Yards

Is this the type of system where you could grab the camera and get a decent shot of a supercell forming over a plain?

Flowin, Falling_Droplet and Gleno71 like this.
  8. Shane Battistuzzi

Shane Battistuzzi Addicted

Looks like the event is in a bit of trouble compared to about 3 days ago. Downgrades left, right & centre. I would be surprised to see much more than 10-20mm

9. Snapper22

Snapper22 Hard Yards

We have had upgrades daily. Up to 40mm possible in Tuesday on Sunny coast.

10. Flowin

Access C 18z run (4am today) for rain to Sunday 10pm.

11. Vinny

Vinny One of Us

Do I post in the other thread if it rains or here ? This is for SE Qld storms ?

12. Flowin

I would consider the northern limit to be fairly loose @Vinny
    Post here

Seabreezes, DDstorm, PlumbBob and 4 others like this.
  13. Flowin

EC ensemble average Forecast rain totals to Sunday 10pm, note compared to one above for Access C this one is from 10pm last night

14. Lani

Lani One of Us

Totals for this weekend dropped significantly in last nights runs which is frustratingly disappointing as we had a race event cancelled today due to the forecast rain that may not now be significant enough to have impacted it. I hope the downgrade is wrong and we get something worthwhile.

15. Ken Kato

Ken Kato One of Us

Hope you get something worthwhile there @Lani but I also hope you remember the golden rule whenever it comes to rainfall from showers or storms to avoid any possible disappointmnt (avoid taking forecast amounts too literally because some places will get much less or more than others).
    Having said that, it does look like most people will eventually get some heavy rainfall given the expected widespread nature of the activity, even though there'll be the odd day when it's a lot quieter.

16. Mezo

Mezo One of Us

Yet OCF seems to have ramped totals right up for the next five days. I really have no idea what to expect with this one!

DDstorm, PlumbBob, Flowin and 5 others like this.
  17. Orebound

Orebound Storm Tourist Ski Pass: 30 Day

Here's a shot of one of the first storms from yesterday out beyond Roma. Looked quite nice there for a little while before becoming outflow dominant. I do enjoy the outback Queensland landscape!

18. chunky

chunky Old n' Crusty

Nice. I'd love to do a bit of a storm shot today but really don't know where to attempt to try and wait.

19. Gleno71

Gleno71 One of Us

fantastic shot well done

DDstorm, PlumbBob, Flowin and 5 others like this.
  20. Gleno71

Gleno71 One of Us

about to look at all the models then ill decide, i still think the downs area is a chance

21. Gleno71

Gleno71 One of Us

Models have northern downs as the hotspot (Tara - Dalby ) however lightning forecastr and forecast radar has stuff happening over brisbane. The problem with these set ups is you cant go by Access C when it's tain embeded storms as it's difficult to determine which is what

22. chunky

chunky Old n' Crusty

I'm hoping to get the shot with the supercells or some cell forming. Issues I have found with anything east of the ranges is getting to a spot with a vantage point far enough off into the distance to get something. Whereas west of Toowoomba or tracking up from Allora you get the wide open plains.

23. chunky

chunky Old n' Crusty

Currently everything seems to be flowing in a SE direction so closer to home coming over the dams perhaps or the ridgeline that the Warrego follows as it climbs out of Ipswich for closer to home. Anything Boonah way plenty of ridges but I have seen storms split so often in this region.

24. Gleno71

Gleno71 One of Us

exactly which is why im tempted to go out that way. CAPE seems very low which is a concern.

25. chunky

chunky Old n' Crusty

Any thoughts from anyone to try and intercept something. I was thinking of heading towards Allora and moving north from there though Gleno71 mentioned Tara/Dalby as a good spot. Once you get into the trees nearer to Tara it is harder to see long distances across the plains unless someone knows a good spot out there.

26. chunky

chunky Old n' Crusty

For example the Cecil Plain region would be excellent. Wide open and little forest terrain to block views and plenty of roads criss crossing everywhere.

27. Vinny

Vinny One of Us

Sort of overcast here, not heavy dark grey though. Humidity around 82 percent , little wind movement from the NE. Not as bad as summer... dew point is up now to 22 deg... atmosphere has this feel about it like it's going to rain ... just not sure when.

I assume maybe another 10-20mm in the next week.

28. Orebound

Orebound Storm Tourist Ski Pass: 30 Day

Thanks mate.

Flowin and Falling_Droplet like this.
  29. Gleno71

Gleno71 One of Us

im hoping thats how it will be lol

30. chunky

chunky Old n' Crusty

You decided where you will go?

31. Gleno71

Gleno71 One of Us

Im presuming storms will move in the NW /SE direction looking at the upper winds

Falling_Droplet and chunky like this.
  32. Gleno71

Gleno71 One of Us

yeah going to head to Wariwck possibly millmeran , A few chasers are out St.George way but thats a fair drive

Flowin, Falling_Droplet and chunky like this.
  33. Ken Kato

Ken Kato One of Us

The forecast NNW steering flow which then turns more NW'ly later will probably cause convection to have a bias towards inland and southern parts of our region today.
    But unless you go to an area with a bit less extensive cloud cover, I'm not sure if there'll be many photogenic opportunities in terms of capturing the vertical structure of any individual cells since a fair bit of the convection will probably be embedded. May be able to capture lower level structures like shelf clouds, etc though.
    Should also be noted that the extensive cloud cover itself may somewhat limit storm extent and severity in the SE Coast district.

34. chunky

chunky Old n' Crusty

That's how i am reading it and its consistent looking way out that way. The trough line is slowly to move towards the range during the day?

35. chunky

chunky Old n' Crusty

Yeah I am worried about that too. Driving all that way to get some nice gray oh and look more gray shots with no formations visible.

36. chunky

chunky Old n' Crusty

Ouchies if I was really keen yes but I'm by myself - no navigator and radar watcher with me today so limiting my drive range and cross fingers.

37. Mezo

Mezo One of Us

Nothing worse than wasting an entire Saturday, driving hundreds of km's and coming home with nothing. So many better things you could do with that time.

38. Ken Kato

Ken Kato One of Us

I finally managed to run that minimum rainfall scenario script after recent datafeed outages of the server I pull the data from...... but unfortunately, the latest runs still haven't been able to be populated on the server so I've been forced to use two older runs (the 00z run from two days ago and the previous 18z run).

Nevertheless, it's encouraging to see that even the most pessimistic scenario out of the 62 members was still going for reasonable amounts (forecast period covers from 10am today to 10pm next Thursday therefore it doesn't include any rain that's already fallen over the inland in the last few days). I'd still use caution though just due to a fair bit of the rainfall probably being convective and some places getting less than others.... and also the fact that these aren't the latest runs which may have changed since the older runs.
    Also below is the lightning detected by the Blitzortung.org community network of sensors from 4am Wed up to 4am this morning:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

39. Gleno71

Gleno71 One of Us

thats happened to me 100 times

40. Gleno71

Gleno71 One of Us

thats why western downs a better option, you get towards the edge of the cloud band , possible structure beyond that, always a risky thing when you chase. Yet you can get someone in a apartment block that never chases and can get one of the photos of the year lol

Orebound, PlumbBob, chunky and 3 others like this.
  41. Gleno71

Gleno71 One of Us

Troughline still west of Goondiwindi in the afternoon

PlumbBob, Flowin and Falling_Droplet like this.
  42. Mezo

Mezo One of Us

Me too. Don't have the patience/dedication for these type of setups anymore. If it was a classic day with storms building in clear air in the afternoon I'd be out there in a second.

43. MegaMatch

Monday now looks total rubbish, riddled with dry air even ahead of the SE change. I did not expect this. GFS has still been going for big storms on this day especially ahead of the change but I'm not buying it at all. All other days until about Wednesday still look ok though.

44. TweedStorm

TweedStorm One of Us

That leaves tomorrow and maybe Tuesday. Excitement has waned a lot everyday there's some inhibiting factor. It's an overcast mess here today. Hope something evolves on Sunday and Tuesday folks.

45. MegaMatch

Wednesday looks ok too. Thursday is when it really starts to dry out.

TrentG, Flowin and Slovenski like this.
  46. MegaMatch

47. Slovenski

Slovenski One of Us

48. chunky

chunky Old n' Crusty

Pouring in Toowoomba. Feeling good for the farmers. Not feeling good for photos.

49. MegaMatch

Yep, it's awful. I don't know what they were thinking if this was indeed intentional. There's a huge hole now over the NW Burnett and southern Central Highlands, ie. places like Taroom and Mundubbera.

Edit: I noticed this at the top of the Warrego radar page, but I'm not sure if it's related?

"Due to a minor software issue, rainfall might not be shown in some sections of some 256km and 512km radar images. Please access the 128km radar image, which is not impacted by this issue, and monitor the Bureau's observations, forecasts and warnings."

edit again: So I've noticed the above notification is also displayed at the top of the Newcastle's radar page which is experiencing the same issue...so it sounds like it's just a software issue that'll hopefully be fixed soon.

#49 MegaMatch, Oct 24, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
  50. Slovenski

Slovenski One of Us

2mm in early morning to 9am.
    Starting to get much darker & a nice wall of dark grey to the NW.
    Stapy looks great all the way past Kingaroy/Proston LOL
    Just noticing first swarms of flying termites, always happens with first decent rain in spring.

glenesk, TrentG, Flowin and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.