Storm SEQ/NE NSW Rain & Storms 23rd-31st October 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Storminateacup

Hard Yards
Aug 26, 2019
Broadwater, Gold Coast
Supercell just prior to hitting Hollywell on the northern end of the G.C.
IMG_4833.JPG IMG_4836.JPG

Falling_Droplet

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 7, 2019
Ferny Grove, QLD
fernygroveweather.com
A short period of light rain with another cell approaching that looks to pass to my south again.

Some more light rain as a cell to the north-west possibly heads this way. Quite dark skies being surrounded by storms and continuing to thunder. The temperature remains close to average while continuing to fall. The dew point is falling slowly, slightly above average. Relative humidity have been slightly above average while rising. Light S to SW winds have shifted to E to SE in the past few minutes.

Kazza47

One of Us
Jul 28, 2019
Holy sheep dip!
I went outside to get the cat before this hit (& I am no skinny mini) - the gust of wind ( I stopped & turned to see what the roar was) nearly knocked me off my feet - never experienced a gust of wind like that.
Now we have a 3 carriage express train boring down on us.

So now I know why the wind died for an hour or so after the other cells sideswiped us.

TweedStorm

One of Us
Jul 6, 2019
Banora Point
A friend of a friend (Barry Andrew) posted these of his house on a mates Facebook page...(sorry don’t know location)

79ADDE9A-9D35-4A50-B067-DB6DEC680904.jpeg

View attachment 164684
Holy schmoley can keep that to yas elves.!!
What a memorable afternoon albeit weird with that gusty northerly wind and storms coming pretty much from the same direction. No hail or tornados around here and very little rain but saw some powerful lightning strikes during the course of the afternoon.

Kazza47

One of Us
Jul 28, 2019
Kingaroy's wind gusts lulled to around 20 then straight up to 67 with that gust from before.
Can't help shaking my head at the radar though; the freakin thing is splitting again, lol

Stay safe everyone, these storms are strange & unpredictable and this lot we're sending through to you all will be equally so.

TweedStorm

One of Us
Jul 6, 2019
Banora Point
The donut hole strikes again on the southern GC. I'm not surprised we didn't get any for the Hinze dam and surrounding suburbs. Springbrook splitter in force once again.
Yeah it's a good place to live if you hate hail Warlock. We seem to do far better with Vicious storms when they come from the south/southwest.
It was pretty sad looking down on the Tweed River this arvo but all in all I was stoked with some of the lightning I saw down Murwillumbah and at Terranora. Some very close CGs
IMG_20201031_140558.jpg

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

CirrusFibratus

One of Us
Jul 5, 2019
Strathpine
www.wunderground.com
Uneventful day here for us, everything south and north of us, had a light shower at some point.

Overall good rain for the event, disappointed that we didn't see a proper storm from any of the days here though. Hopefully this is just the start of a prolific season however.

Totals for the event:

23rd: 0.0
24th: 22.3
25th: 0.5
26th: 0.0
27th: 39.4
28th: 31.1
29th: 0.0
30th: 0.5
31st: 1.5mm
Total: 95.3

See you all next event ✌️

Kazza47

One of Us
Jul 28, 2019
Looks pretty decent from here Kazz, I told it to bugger off, I don’t want any of what’s around today thanks lol.
Yeah it's not going your way lol.
It's freaky ; starts stop to a dead silence then starts again; but there are a heap of clearly defined cells all in a row so it makes sense.
Bird life starts to come out & then they hunker in the next tree, lol.
Gonna take a long time for this to pass. No drenching rain though.
I was actually more worried about a few clouds that hung really low in a column, but didn't appear to be rotating at all so that was a relief.

Warlock_01

One of Us
Jul 7, 2015
Gold Coast, Bonogin
Yeah it's a good place to live if you hate hail Warlock. We seem to do far better with Vicious storms when they come from the south/southwest.
It was pretty sad looking down on the Tweed River this arvo but all in all I was stoked with some of the lightning I saw down Murwillumbah and at Terranora. Some very close CGs
IMG_20201031_140558.jpg
May have spoke too soon, seems like a small dark cell heading my way.

Mezo

One of Us
Dec 11, 2019
Springfield
BOM have now updated the warning to include:

*** 14cm HAIL REPORTED AT FORESTDALE***

I think we're going to struggle to see another storm day like this in SEQ for decades let alone this season.

It's only really been memorable from a hail perspective, though. Very few pics of impressive structure floating around or wind reports.

Falling_Droplet

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 7, 2019
Ferny Grove, QLD
fernygroveweather.com
With the storms passing to the south, the remaining storms look to pass to my north.

After falling the temperature have now stabilised while remaining close to average. For a short period the dew point rose and fell briefly before stabilising while remaining slightly above average. Relative humidity has stopped rising and has stabilised remaining slightly above average. Light E to NE winds have become N to NE.

Trace of rainfall here.

Nature's Fury

One of Us
Nov 1, 2019
Brisbane (Western Suburbs)
From SBS:

I’ve just had a special request from UQ researchers (wanting to analyse and reconstruct this afternoon’s hail event in SEQ) to ask the following:
Anyone who has collected 10 cm hail or larger in their freezer and willing to donate the hail for research can you please get in contact with joshua.soderholm@uqconnect.edu.au. Staff from UQ can collect the hailstones. Please ensure they are kept in the freezer, sealed in a plastic bag. Thanks so much and stay safe.
If possible, hailstones should be bagged individually to prevent sublimation (ice evaporating).
These images are an example of part of the analyses and reconstructions they do. So if you could help out, it’d be much appreciated !
(Ken):

Slovenski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 7, 2019
Mount Hallen
A relatively uneventful day out here apart from lots of wind earlier, then some rain, small hail for 5 minutes, lots of growling & great looking clouds. 7mm fell into the gauge. Awesome posts, reports & pics everybody, thanks for sharing. Hope everybody got through today relatively ok.
Given todays stormage extent, would it be correct in describing it
'Brisbane's Greatest Storm Day' ?
All over for us out here today it seems.

Jaymy

Early Days
Oct 27, 2020
Logan SEQ
Halloween pano two.jpg mammatus Logan.jpg Got a few pics while watching from outside the Woolies undercover carpark. My chasing consisted of running up and down the stairs and trying to recharge the phone LOL Wish I'd taken my camera gear, even from there I could have gotten a few decent shots to mark the day, phone better than nothing though. The mammatus were directly above me and then watched the green slide by as it hit to the south of me.

Cookiemonsta

Hard Yards
Oct 11, 2019
A relatively uneventful day out here apart from lots of wind earlier, then some rain, small hail for 5 minutes, lots of growling & great looking clouds. 7mm fell into the gauge. Awesome posts, reports & pics everybody, thanks for sharing. Hope everybody got through today relatively ok.
Given todays stormage extent, would it be correct in describing it
'Brisbane's Greatest Storm Day' ?
I would guess it’s a close 2nd but 27/11/2014 was the most destructive for Brissy in the last 10 years although The Gap storm in 2009 would beat it hands down, epic end to October and being Halloween too, we had some golf ball sized hail here at Mount Hallen followed buy pea to marble size and some good rain. Around 80mm for the event so far, now it’s mowing time

Cookiemonsta

Hard Yards
Oct 11, 2019
I must say I haven’t seen a widespread severe outbreak of storms that drop massive hail like today in a long time and considering some of the hail we had started before the rain did. Isn’t the hail meant to be after the storm passes as the hail shaft is normally at the back end of the cell ? Also some areas had 2-3 severe cells one after another so wondering why the energy wasn’t sapped from the atmosphere in the first 1-2 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass