1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Event SEQ/NE NSW Rain & Storms 23rd-31st October 2020

Discussion in 'Daily & Chat' started by MegaMatch, Oct 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Falling_Droplet

Falling_Droplet One of Us

2. Eddy

Eddy One of Us

Well I had a small storm again mid morning that popped up pretty quickly but died just as quick, managed 1.8mm from it.

The sky had a real unstable but messy look about this afternoon and nothing could really get going, everything was either to my south or north, but this little cell (picture below) tried hard and I persevered with it hoping something would form.
    [​IMG]IMG_1087 by Eddy Groot, on Flickr
    Then this to the left of the main cell formed and I was getting more hopeful and there was the odd rumble too.
    [​IMG]IMG_1117 by Eddy Groot, on Flickr

Then it morphed into this, there was some rotation to be seen.
    [​IMG]IMG_1138 by Eddy Groot, on Flickr

And yes I did think it, but that was about as far it would go.
    [​IMG]IMG_1156 by Eddy Groot, on Flickr
    All this was above Bulahdelah
    In the end it threw out a few nice bolts.

3. PlumbBob

PlumbBob One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Crazy Stuff around, , safe here with only 1cm hail for a couple minutes earlier this arv, recieved a good drop of 53mm throughout today...
    Shame to hear of many with Damage done....
    Sunny Coast having their share now, guess they're enjoying a cracking Light-Show aswell :-/

Some Mammatus structure about here after the main Cell passed earlier,, and some grouse colour about at Sun-Sun
    -----

whynot, Majikthise, chunky and 20 others like this.
  4. Ken Kato

Ken Kato One of Us

I haven't had time to check out any of the posts on here since early arvo but got two separate rounds of hail again in Moorooka, some poo pants close lightning strikes, beautiful structures.

Here's a few of my contributions from the amazing sunset mammatus. The first bunch of photos are from facebook but I haven't had time to check out any of the posts on here since early arvo so apologies in advance if some of them have been shared here already:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Michael Hauber

Michael Hauber One of Us

All the chaos and fast moving cells, and in Buderim we've had about 5 hours of rumbling thunder and light anvil rain with a couple of heavy bursts, and a number of cells that approached and died or took a corner south at the last moment. 17mm at the nearest AWS. Better result than smashed roof, but kind of an odd afternoon/evening.

chunky, Gleno71, Slovenski and 5 others like this.
  6. chunky

chunky Old n' Crusty

I wonder where that was taken from? It looks high - was it a drone?

7. GBerg

GBerg Addicted

All sorts of chaos up here on the northern Sunny Coast right on Sunset. While we didn't get the large hail of Brizzy there are trees down everywhere between Coolum and Pomona! I got caught in it at Coolum and the wind was incredible. Car was shaking big time, luckily I found an open field away from trees. Here's a grab from the back of the camera just before it hit!

8. chunky

chunky Old n' Crusty

My huge regret on that Gap storm... I was driving home just passed Enoggera and coming down the hill near Ashgrove and had a perfect view of that storm rising up over Mt Coot-tha. I even commented to wifey that the cloud pretty much looked like a curling wave pushing up over the top of the mountain and then of course we see it all on the news. I ummed and ahhed about stopping and photographing it cos it looked so unusual but I was pushing to get home before any possible hail. Wish I had stopped cos I don't know of anyone that has footage of it from that side. By the time I go to the Toowong Roundabout at the Western Freeday day had turned into night and all the power was knocked out around there!

9. chunky

chunky Old n' Crusty

Fantastic Eddy!

Gleno71, Slovenski, Tsunami and 3 others like this.
  10. Homer

Homer One of Us

Today has been quite an amazing day of storms and rain for Eastern Oz.
    Crazy storms in QLD. I'm not sure if I can ever recall so many hail storms on one day in QLD. Following this thread has been fascinating.

Decent rain and storms all along the NSW east coast and inland. Heavy rain (totals over 100 mm's in just a few hours) recorded on the south coast and southern highlands. 2 episodes of storms (with hail) passing through the Sydney basin after the forecast heavy rain failed to eventuate this morning but hit more southern areas (Illawarra - South Coast).

Sat pics, lightning trackers and radars all day have looked amazing and the updated AWS obs fascinating.
    We don't get many days like this ever, where such a large area has such feral weather.

11. Ken Kato

Ken Kato One of Us

Hey @Homer what were the hail sizes like in the Sydney basin today just out of curiosity? I did see some hail potential around there and the doppler wind imagery of the offshore couplet as well as some of the soundings in the area looked great. I was out in it amongst the hail here locally this arvo so I couldn't keep tabs on the situation along the central coast.

Incidentally today was the 4th separate round of hail I've had this week (2 rounds on 2 days) so it's been great to finally get active weather.

P.S. awesome photos everyone... and Eddy, that really does look like one of those "if anything was going to drop today, that cloud looked like the best candidate" situations! Fantastically abrupt wall cloud action there. I did see a photo of a funnel cloud elsewhere today but I didn't see whether it touched down (am assuming it didn't).

Gleno71, Eddy, Slovenski and 5 others like this.
  12. BradB

BradB First Runs

4 rounds of hail here in northern Brisbane this afternoon albeit just pea-marble size. More storm cells with hail (even if it was small) in about 90mins than what there's been in about 5-6 years here. Incredible. (Been a long time stalker of these forums since weatherzone days, love the knowledge shared particularly for days like today).

13. AshestoAshes

AshestoAshes One of Us

I'd say a typical storm day in Sydney there was a bit of pea-sized hail correct me if i'm mistaken, it was very cold in the uppers today. Although surface temps weren't quite there the forecast was supposed to be 27 today but it dropped off 22-24ish. Although some wonderful cloudscapes this is was what i got (already posted in NSW/ACT thread)
    [​IMG]

whether, Gleno71, Eddy and 9 others like this.
  14. Ken Kato

Ken Kato One of Us

Thanks for that! Was wondering what any storms around there would look visually-speaking today since I was having a look at the setup there this morning and saw the cold mids as as well as looking more showery overall south of the central coast closer to the wraparound from the low.

15. Homer

Homer One of Us

Ken, from what I can gather, there was nothing more than golf ball sized hail. Mostly, it was pea sized.
    I hope this helps.

16. Homer

Homer One of Us

Development was quite severe from late morning for the first line of storms around mid day. Check the East Australian thread for updates.
    The latter storms were more a congested mess with beautiful thundery rain over several hours.

17. Falling_Droplet

Although the hail was the big aspect of today storms there were reasonable rainfall totals such as the Gold Coast and north of Brisbane of falls of 25 to 40 mm at many location, with the highest being 51 mm at Redcliffe.

[​IMG]

Gleno71, Slovenski, Flowin and 4 others like this.
  18. chunky

chunky Old n' Crusty

Sadly Boonah missed most of the rain. I swear i have seen so many storms split and go around the place.

19. Nature's Fury

Nature's Fury One of Us

I'm actually a bit numb from today. It was one of the most extraordinary SEQ storm days I've ever witnessed and also pretty spectacular in my area. A very hard act to follow for the rest of this storm season and this decade.

20. Gleno71

Gleno71 One of Us

Well today no doubt is a day not many will ever forget, though i missed the chase due to work commitments, i simply cannot believe what i have seen via Social media and on here. Well done to everyone for there reports. We now know what to expect when CAPE ,LI, SWEAT values is thru the roof. Access C nailed it once again. Thanks Ken for the charts and your knowledge.
    Here is a few photos from Cabarita in Northern NSW of the back end of one of many supercell storms at sunset.

whether, PlumbBob, Eddy and 17 others like this.
  21. Mezo

Mezo One of Us

Yeah, there's been a few days with isolated storms producing giant hail in the past, but the sheer number that did today is pretty much unheard of.

22. chunky

chunky Old n' Crusty

I was wanting exactly that but left it too late as I remembered the colour you got with that fantastic lightning shot from earlier in the week. I just made it to Currumbin but most of the colour was gone.

23. Nature's Fury

Nature's Fury One of Us

And that's exactly why in my mind this has to be near the very top of SEQ storm events of living memory.

24. Tsunami

Tsunami One of Us

Wow. We got hail. Not huge thank got but one after the other..4 shots at it. Marble size and made our lawn white at times. Hell of a noisy. Bigger stuff would be frightening. Thoughts with you guys that got that big stuff...

25. chunky

chunky Old n' Crusty

Any stormchasers on here that were out near Kalbar as a group? I passed you mid afternoon and stopped just passed you.

26. Tsunami

Tsunami One of Us

On another note. Saw a gap. Not much wind etc. So fertilised lawn then the hail hit.
    Allmost pooed myself as lightning was getting very close
    But perfect senariofor fertiliser
    Just got lucky

PlumbBob, Slovenski, Flowin and 5 others like this.
  27. chunky

chunky Old n' Crusty

31 October Storm Chase

Started off early and decided to head towards Gatton. Plan was to go north, west or south depending on the flow. Missed a chance to meet Orebound, who was in the area. He messaged me but my navigator (daughter) was too busy playing games on the phone that I didn't get the message in time.

Anyway you can see the build up west of the range mid-morning.

[​IMG]

I was at Helidon for this and decided to aim for a storm cell up on the southern plains above the range.

[​IMG]

So I headed up the Gatton-Clifton Rd, which was dumb. They were moving so fast, which everyone had been saying for days and checking the radar at Ma Ma Creek thought nup no way I am going to make that, turned around and headed back towards the Scenic Rim. As it was, these cells passed SE quickly across the border close to Woodenbong and then onto the coast.

This next shot was coming into Rosewood. Looking back towards Brisbane these were the cells I think that slid south of it and hit Greenbank and the Beaudesert area. It was amazing how quick they formed.

[​IMG]

There were storm cells everywhere. This was another set of storm cells to the right of the one above. These were on the southern end of the Scenic Rim range and crossed over Woodenbong by the looks of the radar.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just outside of Rosewood I looked back to the range towards the cell coming from Crows Nest. Was hoping to intercept this back in the Scenic Rim and hoping it would intensify off the range. As it was I missed some fairly decent hail here by 5 to 10 minutes. Lucky for me and my car.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next bit as soon as I can edit them :)

whether, PlumbBob, Eddy and 15 others like this.
  28. chunky

chunky Old n' Crusty

Oh and I missed that hail in Gatton too - phew.

whether, Tsunami, Flowin and 5 others like this.
  29. James Dun

James Dun Hard Yards

Got a couple of nice storms and a brilliant sunset today but fortunately no hail damage in my area. A great storm day but sorry to see the damage caused elsewhere!
    DSC_5651.jpg DSC_5928_stitch-2.jpg DSC_6243.jpg

whether, Gleno71, Tsunami and 9 others like this.
  30. DDstorm

DDstorm One of Us

Only one thing moving faster than those storms today was this thread. Many thanks for all the info, heads up and pics, awesome pics. Only 3 mm here but it was close.

Gleno71, Tsunami, TweedStorm and 5 others like this.
  31. chunky

chunky Old n' Crusty

Part 2

After Rosewood we headed to the Cunningham Hwy and headed south. We thought about stopping in Purga but thought the cell would track more southeastery. We stopped just to the west of Kalbar.

[​IMG]

Passed a bunch of storm chasers photographing the same thing. looking towards Peaks Crossing. Unknown to me at the time is that it was hailing hard up that way.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Far right are the cells about to start impacting Tamborine and GC.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

whether, PlumbBob, 4107 and 11 others like this.
  32. chunky

chunky Old n' Crusty

Before moving I checked the local TV for the forecast. It said storms....

[​IMG]

whether, Gleno71, 4107 and 8 others like this.
  33. Seabreezes

Seabreezes One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

An incredible afternoon of storms over SEQLD. Thanks for the reports and pics everyone! :thumbs::thumbs:

A very lightning active storm formed over the Lower Macleay in the early hours of this morning. The 'main' storm sat as close as about 10km south of here, but we did get a bit of steady fat-dropped rain and the occasional lightning flash here from one of the developing updrafts that was feeding into the storm.
    [​IMG]

By afternoon, the dryline was sitting too close to the coast down here. A few isolated afternoon storms did manage to form along the coastal fringe of the northern Mid North Coast. But with the exception of the hailstorm that hit Bonville, the storms struggled on land. Once offshore, the storms began hitting their straps though. One of the storms developing on the coastal fringe this afternoon in the local area:
    [​IMG]

Had the dryline been perhaps 15-20kms or so further inland in this region, there would have quite likely been more storm activity and hailstorms this afternoon.

The hailstorm this afternoon at Bonville (between Coffs and Urunga):

whynot, whether, PlumbBob and 12 others like this.
  34. Falling_Droplet

Even though no thunderstorms passed through here it has been interesting watching the activity. The clouds had a turbulent look to them with the storms that passed by.

After falling a little slowly tonight and became slightly warm, the temperature has fallen more quickly and returned to near average. The dew point has been rising slowly slightly above average before starting to fall later tonight returning to near average. Relative humidity have been near average while steadily rising. Light N to NNE winds mostly with calm winds at times.

Last 24 hours:

35. CirrusFibratus

CirrusFibratus One of Us

I love the viewpoint you have there Plumbob, such a sweeping uncluttered view of the horizon.

I've got this one saved from a while back, one of my favourite shots from this site ever: https://www.ski.com.au/xf/threads/ne-nsw-qld-weather.85082/page-146#post-4270864

36. MegaMatch

MegaMatch One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Nothing here. All cells to the west died on approach, and the main line of storms exited the coast north of Gympie. Never experienced a severe storm outbreak like that in my location, ever. The odd supercell here and there, but nothing like that.

I was the one hyping this event up last week, only to be let down, again. Sorry to anyone in my region who rode my high hopes for this event, since I should have known better that after all it's the Fraser Coast where we have our own lame weather pattern in place that only once in a blue moon ends up breaking to deliver something special. You cannot relate to it unless you've lived here. Anyway, enough whinging. Did contemplate leaving, might stick around. But my frustration with this dumb place continues to build.

PS if you don't like my whinging, just throw me on ignore. I have several people on my ignore list from other parts of the forum, and it works a treat. Nobody is forcing you to read my negative dribble.

37. Flowin

Flowin One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I think the Gympie (Mt Kanigan) Radar calibration may be a bit suspect.
    The radar rain estimate accumulation from 9am yesterday suggests widespread totals over 100mm over much of the Mary River catchment. But the rain gauges show totals much less than that.

38. Flowin

Thanks for starting the thread Mega. I don’t think you hyped it at all.
    Sad to hear you missed out. It is fair enough for people to complain a little on topics of frustration with the weather.
    I like stormy weather, torrential downpours etc. I copped these storms with the mid range of hail severity that occurred around 2-3cm not the cricket balls, but quite frankly I prefer my precip in liquid form, not the solid stuff.
    Hope Maryborough and surrounding region don’t have to wait too long for a good event.

39. CCSC

CCSC Hard Yards

For the record here is the 03z sounding from yesterday. Unbelievable stuff. Thanks for the reports everyone

Attached Files:

40. Flowin

I noticed ripples like mountain waves on the satellite water vapour in yesterday’s storms.
    Example image around 3:30-4:00pm.
    I wonder if such waves may assisted with the rhythmic nature of the multiple cell after cell developing?

41. Timbuck

Timbuck One of Us

we all love your input over the years mega ,, sure feel for you and your local weather. I have a mate very close to you at tiaro he has done quite well the last 2 weeks with over 100mm. I regularly send him screen shots of what’s coming , he has a tank and dam filler the other day filled his main tank in minutes ( from big shed).
    All I can say life’s to short to hate where you live...... move mate , and enjoy life a little better maybe I now we would all love to see you post of storms , snow , rain , etc what ever you deliver.
    Cheers

Tim
    pics of my mates at tiaro.

Attached Files:

42. TweedStorm

TweedStorm One of Us

Great reports and pics everyone. Fantastic end to a great week of storms. I'm learning more and more about storm paths and in future when storms are tracking from the north west I'm heading to either north of the border (Southport area seems to do well and further north ) , or Byron /Mullumbimby area south of here.
    With storms tracking from the south/south west locally does well and extra severe stuff, cells that develop out Kyogle way head toward the Beaudesert area for excitement.

43. Ken Kato

Ken Kato One of Us

Some more photos by people from yesterday:

44. Eddy

Eddy One of Us

Thanks Ken, I was going to ask if that was a developing wall cloud, in the end it probably only lasted 15-20 minutes.

Question for anyone, when a poster post pictures from Facebook or Instagram I cant see them for some unknown reason? Do I need to update something? Also happens on my phone too.

And lastly great pics and reports too!! Its been pretty quite for my neck of the woods storm wise and its always nice to get on here and see the stunning imagery and read the reports. It's almost like you're there!

Cheers
    Ed

45. GBerg

GBerg Addicted

Few shots from last night! Was amazing just sitting on this back road at Como, watching cell after cell blow up in the same spot just to the north of Wolvi. The full moon came out too making it look like day time! Be interesting to see the full extent of damage in the area today. I can't remember a more widespread destruction storm event on this part of the coast (excluding debbie).

46. Gleno71

Gleno71 One of Us

Agree with you there NF. I doubt we will get a repeat of that for the remainder of the season though im sure we still will get some severe cells over the course of the next few months

47. Gleno71

Gleno71 One of Us

Fantastic shots mate well done

Falling_Droplet and Flowin like this.
  48. Gleno71

Gleno71 One of Us

yes i get the same issue @Eddy instagram photos just the emblem comes up and not the photo

Falling_Droplet, Eddy and Flowin like this.
  49. Gleno71

Gleno71 One of Us

Yeah i find the structures are better and more well defined when the storms are tracking from the SW

50. Gleno71

Gleno71 One of Us

wow so the Lifted index was -13??

Falling_Droplet, PlumbBob and Flowin like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.