1. Coronavirus #StayHome

Official Advice

- People in Australia must stay at least 1.5 metres away from others and gatherings are limited to two people unless you are with your family or household.
    - If you believe you may have contracted the virus, call your doctor (don’t visit) or contact the national Coronavirus Health Information Hotline on 1800 020 080.
    - If you are struggling to breathe or experiencing a medical emergency, call 000.

Information Resources Mental Health Note: This announcement may be closed & This announcement will be reset every few days.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Shame KOKI Shame

Discussion in 'Falls Creek' started by quigybum, Jun 21, 2008.

1. quigybum

quigybum First Runs

Well looks like one resort has started doing dirty tricks to ensure minimal loss if their own snow guarentee labelled "Koki Resort Assurance" comes into effect.

Their original assurance stated:
    * Payments received (less 15% booking fee) refunded.

This can be viewed on google's cached page: http://209.85.141.104/search?q=cache:iyX...clnk&cd=1&gl=au

After myself and probably many other people have booked they changed this policy to the following:

* Cancellations requiring a refund will be charged a booking fee equalling 15% of the booking total. The remainder of payments received will be refunded.

Basically this means that anyone who has paid 50% deposit, will get charged 15% of the whole booking total, and not the "Payments received" as the original terms and conditions stipulated.

This could mean a few hundred dollars difference if you were to cancel a booking due to insufficient snow and open runs.

So please be cautious if you have booked already.. Consumer affairs are aware of the situation, so make a complaint with them if you have a problem getting a refund.

#1 quigybum, Jun 21, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
  2. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

I can read the original statement either way. This may have been deliberate, or more likely just a bit sloppy. I'd be surprised if they intention was ever to only base booking fee on deposit rather than total. I think that would be fairly unusual. Still, anything ambiguous like that is a recipe for customer dissatisfaction.

3. Apresski

Apresski Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

I was under the impression that the Snow guarantee was to return monies less 15% of the total. Most accommodations require payment 1 monthprior to arrival and therefore the 15% should pertain to the total.

4. quigybum

quigybum First Runs

This is about Koki's own Snow assurance, not the Falls Creek one. The falls creek guarantee is 15% of the total. However Koki originally had stipulated in the terms for their one that it is 15% of payments received.

I booked knowing and taking into account that it was 15% of what I have paid them. Its a big difference if you have paid like $1000 deposit of an accommodation total of say $2000.

After an enquiry to them confirming the amount, they changed this on their website immediately after my enquiry giving an explanation that it wasn't clear enough which I believe is a load of cra*.

5. Snorkler

Snorkler Part of the Furniture

It was badly written the first time, you could chase it if you wanted but it could go either way.

6. Apresski

You can but write them a letter pointing out the error of their ways, but as they are just following the Falls Creek guarantee, I don't like your chances.

#6 Apresski, Jun 22, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2013
  7. Apresski

At least they are better than Pyles bus company, I paid $174 for 4 of us to travel by bus from Mt Beauty to Falls and you get nothing back if youy cancel less than 2 weeks before. Obviously you have to wait 'til 48 hours before for the snow guarantee to kick in, so you are left saying good bye to pre-paid bus fares.

8. teckel

teckel Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

I agree with Koki's interpretation. You get back your payments received, less 15% (which is the booking fee).
    I actually think this is very generous. If you booked a house by the seaside in the summer and it rained all week, you wouldn't get a cent back. And nor would you if you read the weather forecast 2 days before you went, and cancelled because of that forecast.
    Ski accommodation joints have a very brief period to make the money to cover their overheads - rates, insurance etc, let alone the mortgage or imputed interest. I think to say "Shame" is an over-reaction on your part, even though I understand your disappointment

9. Snorkler

Snorkler Part of the Furniture

If you claim to cancel your booking in a 48 hour period, they have very little chance of getting anyone into that room to generate money to cover costs. You've held the room reserved for that period of time, consider it a fee for the 'option' to go there. To claim that you want more of your money back is to encourage the process of overbooking which would end up creating it's own problems.

10. quigybum

quigybum First Runs

Im not sure if anyone has actually read the original post here before replying?

There is no issue with paying a fee lets get that straight, that was never the point. I understand they have costs they need to recover.

My point is they stated on their website prior to booking that the 15% was off any "AMOUNT RECEIVED". Whether you pay $1, $100, or $1000 or $2000 - It is still 15%.

They now claim it is 15% ONLY off the FULL AMOUNT, and NOT off PAYMENTS RECEIVED.

So, if someone has paid $1000 off a $2000 TOTAL amount, they will have to pay $300. NOT $150 as originally stipulated.

My reason for putting up this thread was to ensure other people staying at koki were simply aware they have changed their policy. Because I was under the impression it was 15% off what I had paid.

11. punter

punter First Runs

So, its not the money thats the issue here for you, but rather the misleading nature of the terms on their wbsite.

Is that it?

12. punter

punter First Runs

Did you chhose this accomm in the first place because of the "attractiveness" of the terms and conditions on their website or was it for other reasons?

13. quigybum

quigybum First Runs

My issue is them changing the terms, after I had booked. I'm talking minutes after I had emailed them confirming what the refund amount would be - which was weeks after I had booked.

Yes, I booked because their terms and conditions seemed attractive reasonably good value. I planned and factored in what amount I would receive back if I were to cancel due to insufficient snow, so I could plan a trip elsewhere.

Nobody wants to be going to see a mountain full of grass, might as well just go up to the Dandenongs for free.

14. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

At least 3 of us have told you that the original statement that you posted could just as easily be read as meaning that the 15% was of the total price.

Your frustration with the snow gods is making you angry and you are just venting. You may have had some chance of talking Koki around to the lower figure, but after this outburst there is no chance of that

15. dawooduck

dawooduck relaxed and comfortable Ski Pass: Gold

Its perfectly clear to me. 15% of payments received.

i.e 15% of booking fee\deposit if that all you paid before canceling.

It is the fault of KOKI that there is confusion not the consumers.

#15 dawooduck, Jun 24, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2013
  16. Snow Addict

Snow Addict Part of the Furniture

I think you are being harsh on quigybum, currawong.

The term 15% of "payments received" is unambiguous.

The key word is received. If you pay a deposit, the deposit is received. The balance, which he did not pay, isn't 'received' - under any definition of the word.

I'd stick to your guns quigybum. The deal you had with Koki was clear, even if Koki have now taken a different position. You may ultimately come to deal with Koki just to be done with it, but I think you are on firm ground.

17. Ulmerhutte

Ulmerhutte First Runs

Agree. What is not clear about "payments received"?

The whole point is that Koki advertised a set of conditions and a booking was made under those conditions.

Maybe they "meant" something different, but that is their problem.

18. Benn0

Benn0 Old n' Crusty

I have to agree with Currawong, the offer is that they will refund your Payments Received, minus 15%. It doesn't actually say 15% of what amount isn't refunded, it is assumed it is 15% of money received because it follows that term. But I wouldn't be silly enough to make this assumption, I would have checked with them first. It is too vague to know from that single line, and from a realistic point of view, I wouldn't expect any snow resort to only want 15% of a deposit for cancellation, they normally want a percentage of the total cost. Assuming otherwise seems to be naive.

19. Koki

Koki First Runs

SHAME BRETT SHAME!
    This is KOKI. The guest who has posted this has failed to give all relevant information. Let me clarify : He booked initially without reading any terms & conditions as his first contact regarding refund was on 20/6 & asked "Possibly looking at getting a full refund due to the unfortunate lack of snow already looking at the snow cams." Full refund was never on the table. I responeded with "Yes, you can request a cancellation under the Snowsports Guarantee on the 25/6/08. We advise our guests the morning of the day being 2 days prior to arrival by email if the guarantee is in play. If requesting a refund under that clause, you will incur a booking fee equalling 15% of your booking total" followed by "Koki also offers the extra options of holding the monies paid, to use at a later date in the current season without incuring any cancellation fee or if you still come & stay, 50% of regular accommodation rate charged." I also later stipulated "We cannot discriminate against those bookings who have paid in full prior to arrival, so the cancellation fee must be calculated on the booking total to be fair & equal for all guests."
    Brett came & stayed for half price!!!

20. TOFF

TOFF Im kind of a big deal Ski Pass: Gold

Good answer koki!