1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Share your Japanese trip errors

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Annabuzzy, Feb 11, 2017.

1. Pelm1

Pelm1 One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Not testing the wasabi before spreading it all over everything.... Yeah I know you are supposed to do it as you eat but.. well reasons

Chaeron, FatBoyDave, pedub and 2 others like this.
  2. pedub

pedub One of Us

Yes! I even find that is important at home! So variable!!!

3. Vermillion

Vermillion Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

I'm guessing you've had a standoff at the supermarket where the check out dude is waiting for you to put the money in the tray, and you're waiting for him to ask you for the money, but he's too polite to point to the tray and say you stupid gaijin this is where you put the money.

Any and Pelm1 like this.
  4. Crispy013

Crispy013 One of Us

Yep a couple of instances like this. Now whenever I see the tray I just place the cash in there.

FWIW, what is the accepted practice??

5. Born2ski

Born2ski Part of the Furniture

Froff Life and Vermillion like this.
  6. Vermillion

You see the amount pop up on the screen/register, sometimes the cashier will point at it if you're too slow, you place cash on the tray (I always do coins first, notes second so they can take away the notes then scoop up the coins) and wait for your change.

7. BillyKidd

BillyKidd One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

OK but what are they like in the snow CM?

Vermillion likes this.
  8. Heinz

Heinz Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

The issue depends on how much you walk on snow rather than in snow. If you are walking on footpaths that are regularly cleared you are mainly concerned with grip as opposed to wallowing through shin deep snow. Most of the time I am walking on footpaths in town in the valleys rather than staying somewhere up on the mountain.

Vermillion likes this.
  9. Vermillion

But nothing says hey look at me im a proper ski bum in my sorels like wearing sorels around cleared or heated footpaths in Niseko. Bonus points if you over pack and J* make you unpack on the floor at the terminal, and you take out the sorels so every traveler around you knows you're badass and going to the snow, not some beginner chump.

10. M_G

M_G M_G_ = Make skiing great again Ski Pass: Gold

Great from a visitor point of view but a disaster in the long run for local hotels and ultimately for guests. AirBnB keep voraciously pushing prices down. Hotels here work on very fine margins as it is. I keep getting emails telling me to cut my prices by 50-80% to compete. A race to the bottom will in the end help no-one but the booking engines.

11. person s

person s Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

if you take Sorels - as I usually do - that limits the other stuff you can take because they're so big and heavy
    why own them if you don't wear them - or is that your point?
    you might also say that people shouldn't wear ski jackets unless they're actually on the slopes

Born2ski and azzski like this.
  12. mr muddle

mr muddle Hard Yards

I love my sorels. They make packing underwear a breeze. I just stuff them til they overflowing. then they take up next to room themselves.

13. Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

14. TACKIE

TACKIE One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I also read that many of the unit management boards are outright banning the units being used for airbnb. The gov't might need to rethink some things before the Olympics in 2020 if they want to house the expected visitor numbers.

15. Born2ski

I've never had a problem, but then again I already flag them in my phone GPS before I even get to Japan.

I like AirBnb for Japan because it offers a style of accommodation that you just can't get through hotels - apartments with bathrooms and kitchens. I'm amazed at how many apartments are sitting vacant throughout Japan while western tourists are screaming out for this style of accommodation. It's a real waste.

churchy likes this.
  16. Born2ski

Read my linked article a few posts above yours. New legislation has already been drafted and should likely pass this month. :)

A little more detail regarding the legislation - http://asia.nikkei.com/Politics-Eco...party-decides-on-180-day-cap-for-home-sharing

#166 Born2ski, Mar 6, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
    TACKIE likes this.
  17. kaegee

kaegee One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I base all my accomodation choices after Streetview . Must pass .
    Blundstones do everything ... work to formal ;) own all the alternates but they don't get a look in .

john_kr, dawooduck and Dumph like this.
  18. churchy

churchy One of Us

This. We stayed in airbnb in all the big cities on the last trip. Getting the combination of rooms we required (me, the +1, 2 young kids, 1 au pair, 1 female friend) was near impossible without getting heaps of rooms at hotels/ryokans, let alone finding cooking facilities, convenient laundry, etc. Prices were better too. Missed the onsens though, would have been nice to find airbnbs closer to public baths.

Mistakes:
    • AirAsia via KL is not worth the time penalty to save a few hundred dollars. I don't think i'll fly AA or J* again. Direct, full featured or nothing
    • Osaka is waaay cheaper than Tokyo for accomm and other stuff, but from from a cost perspective it's not worth doing a trip for a few days from Tokyo because the return Shinkansen eats up all your savings.
    • Based on the above, I don't think i'll bother flying into Kansai again. I've seen Osaka and Kyoto, I'd rather spend a little more flying into Tokyo to save money on Trains between the other cities. Next trip will be just Tokyo and Snow...
    Lessons:
    • There is great coffee in Japan but you really have to look for it. Get the beanhunter app and search by "nearest me" - their ratings can be pretty dubious but it's a good place to start. Blue Bottle in the Shinjuku NEWoman was outstanding, world class coffee, but there were lots of other hubs of good coffee in the cities we visited. Kyoto (%arabica and kurasu), Tokyo (Blue Bottle, Verve), Osaka (Lilo, Brooklyn, Streamer, Moto).

Budgiesmuggler and FatBoyDave like this.
  19. Heinz

For those reasons seeing Osaka, Kyoto etc is probably best done flying into Kansai on way to/from Hokkaido. Or else at the start/end of trip using a 7 day full JR pass.

Froff Life likes this.
  20. Tanuki

Tanuki A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Sooooo true, we stumbled on our Sapporo apartment during a blizzard. However, was really nice. Plus it was opposite a fire station so out 2 year old was so stoked to watch the training.

21. hipo

hipo One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Not knowing the carton label for milk and "drinking" yoghurt

Chaeron, Hyst, DeskRider and 4 others like this.
  22. mr muddle

mr muddle Hard Yards

I am not in love with airbnb, but I don't mind 1/3rd residences. They have been good while in Tokyo last month

23. PMG

PMG One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Can you fly direct to Osaka anymore? Don't think you can out of Sydney.

24. Heinz

Don't know. Last time I flew to Hokkaido via Kansai was 2006.

25. pedub

pedub One of Us

Airbnb has been really great for me in Japan. You also (may) get to meet the host and get some local tips :)

26. gibbsy

gibbsy Addicted

Taking a non snow-fussed significant other. Never ever ends well. makes for hilariously awkward people watching. Can be seen a mile off. Generally petulant missus and cowed, ski tired mr, bravely wading through snowy streets looking for a restaurant or some non snow related activity they can 'enjoy' together ..... cut your losses, you go ski, let them go somewhere take a mutually agreeable trip together occasionally(disclaimer: my misso loves Japan and skiing- she took me there to start with!)
    Number two is thinking your vans/converse will be fine to wear around after skiing. Have fun with that.

blowfin and LMB like this.
  27. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

You'll have a few here dispute your footwear advice for sure! But I'm with you. Footwear fit for purpose wins.

Also teaching other half.
    Rarely ends well.
    But provides amusement for those observing from the chair.

28. blowfin

blowfin One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

It's a good way to ruin them basically. And probably make them stink.

I was talking to a younger guy working at a bar about this. Basically not a huge amount of people care how the money gets handed over, especially if they're younger, but it will typically go in the change tray when your change comes back. I think it's something to do with not wanting to make hand contact because of hygiene? Which is kinda weird if true, because the "dirtiest" thing in the transaction is probably the money and the tray. Also, when I use the trays, I'm probably more of a notes first kinda guy, but the ordering is kind of dependant on what comes out of my pocket first.

29. Vermillion

Real men dont carry shrapnel, that can make Japan confusing at times, having to look through coins.

Perhaps @Sandy can explain how the 1Y jar thing at the combini works? Where you use communal 1Y to make up your total.

30. ojisan

ojisan Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

But, have you seen Osaka...
    from a locals perspective?
    There is more to Osaka & Kansai than meets the eye of the tourist....
    I may be a bit biased because the missus is a Kansai local, but every time I go visit I always see or do something new..

Chaeron likes this.
  31. blowfin

"Change sucks": words to live by. You have to stay on top of it while travelling in Japan though, or you'll end up with a couple of Kg of Yen at the end of the trip.

LMB, D64133 and Vermillion like this.
  32. Heinz

That's what the vending machine are for (except for the 1Y & 5Y coins).

blowfin likes this.
  33. Pelm1

Pelm1 One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Pasmo is good for keeping the change in check... Or just put it in the communal jar...

Hyst and blowfin like this.
  34. Crispy013

Crispy013 One of Us

I usually just leave the spare Y1 and Y5 pieces on the table of my accomodation when checking out. Surely causes all sorts of drama when the cleaning staff come through. I'm sure there has been heaps of scenes of people being chased down the street to give them back their Y23 in change.

LMB, blowfin and Pelm1 like this.
  35. blowfin

I take the vending machine approach, and once every now and then a 7i employee or someone similar gets to help me pay almost totally in change. Always seems to bring a smile helping the gaijin fumble through their coins. I also have a separate jar at home for any foreign change that makes it back, as luck would have it though, I usually forget it's there between trips. Probably because shrapnel is a blight on society.

Vermillion likes this.
  36. Froff Life

Froff Life A Local Ski Pass: Gold

I also just offload my ludicrous amounts of 1 and 5 Yens at the convenience stores, but make sure to count it all out in Japanese and most of the employees laugh or smile and count along with me

37. pedub

pedub One of Us

Often times they just hint to me to hold out my handful of money. Then they will just count out the amount for me! :)

In any other country, I wouldnt be so keen to do that

john_kr and LMB like this.
  38. LMB

Spot the battling gaijin with helpful local trader taking pity!

I have shrapnel issues at home, currently doing a dedicated shrapnel reduction using the change machine at the local bank. Each trip is between about $90 and $180 - depending on denominations that's about all I'm prepared to carry around (more than that is a bit heavy to add to an already weighty woman's handbag for a wander to the bank). It's crazy!

So you can imagine how quickly it becomes a problem in Japan. Hubby creates a shrapnel collection quicker than I can spend it! I'm going to have to train him to get rid of his own!!

pedub likes this.
  39. Beerman

Beerman One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Send him to the naughty corner, while you lose some of that change at the local bottl'o. ;)

LMB likes this.
  40. LMB

I can just see me counting out my 1 and 5 Yen coins for my bottle of Yuzu-shu LOL

41. D64133

D64133 Guest

When I was in Niseko last week i had a pile of yen and was curious as to how to dispose of it thoughtfully, then when in Tamashii's I saw a jar collecting for the widow and child of Sam Kerr, so I filled it.

edit. There was one in Gorilla too, I dealt with that also.

Hyst, LMB and pedub like this.
  42. Any

Any One of Us

last year i spent like 45mins dropping coins into the lions donation box at the international airport.
    had a huge bag full, so got lots of weird stares from everyone walking past. some kids really enjoyed helping shoving in the coins tho.

43. Kletterer

Kletterer Thredbo Doughnut Tragic Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

@Hyst That avatar............ Its gotta go

ojisan likes this.
  44. Kletterer

Kletterer Thredbo Doughnut Tragic Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

in an almhutte ?

45. Olgreg

Olgreg One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Something about pots...kettles.

46. Charles

Charles Addicted Ski Pass: Gold

A: Early morning train on a weekday in Tokyo carrying luggage.
    B: Not knowing the language well enough thus looking like another tourist expecting everyone outside of Australia to speak English.
    Wait there is a C:
    First ever mistake was at Niseko many years ago. Got of the bus at Niseko in the middle of the night and did a walk about with the temp around -15. Lets say I got a little lost and the lads freaked out so bad they went North for the Winter, never knew that was possible. Ran indoors with a look of panic waiting for my sex change to reverse. o_O

#196 Charles, Mar 11, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
    blowfin, Kimski and Dumph like this.
  47. Annabuzzy

Annabuzzy Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

That happened to me once surfing

Chaeron likes this.
  48. Ramenman

Ramenman One of Us

Don't go to the same public onsen on different days without confirming it's for men or women:p. I mean, many ryokans have more than two public onsens. They have different views one another. For guests to be able to enjoy all public onsens the ryokan has, they are switching only for men / women everyday. I love taking onsen before dinner and breakfast. In early morning, I went to the same onsen that I took at the previous night, then you know what happened:oops:.

#198 Ramenman, Nov 10, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
    Tanuki, Mark*V, bullet and 1 other person like this.
  49. Lucky Pete

Lucky Pete One of Us

Buying duty free alcohol coming into Japan.

50. mannyk

mannyk One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Know your notes, be careful of the 1000 y and the 10000y notes. A couple of times I got way too much change back than I was expecting. Lucky its Japan the honest people..
    Don't by shink tickets for the next day without checking the ticket. Don't assume they understand you even if they nod..lol
    DO..Take small gifts to give out,
    A "Favouites" blend of chocs works well, lifties love them..
    Have addreses for Accom in Japanese
    Don't fly J *

oldgeezer likes this.