1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Sharing a National Park Annual pass?

Discussion in 'Thredbo' started by JoW, Jun 24, 2013.

1. JoW

JoW First Runs

Hello everyone!

I'm not sure if this is the right place to be asking this, but here goes. Me and a few friends were going skiing in Thredbo from the 1st to 4th of July, driving up from Jindabyne everyday. I understand this means paying the national park entry fee of $27 per vehicle per day. I was just wondering if anyone had an annual pass for that they might want to sell, or if anyone else skiing over the next few months would want share a $190 annual pass?

Besides that, if anyone had any tips for making the drive between Jindabyne and Thredbo easier, they would be much appreciated!

Thanks a bunch!
    JoW

2. Dos

Dos One of Us

Isn't a National Park season pass linked to a specific registration number?

3. Angus_McCrory

Angus_McCrory Old n' Crusty

Yes, and has the vehicle rego number written on it.

#3 Angus_McCrory, Jun 24, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2013
  4. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

Yes it is.
    However being from Perth, I have an annual pass linked to my vehicle at home and they give me a stick on temp pass for the dates I am in town for my hire cars. It is still not transferrable though.

5. skiflat

skiflat Old n' Crusty

So that works ?
    Where do you get the temp pass from ? Just the office as you drive up ? How much hassle it is ?

T&C's state that the pass can't be used on rental cars... Not that they would know...

#5 skiflat, Jun 24, 2013
  6. JoW

JoW First Runs

Ah thanks for the replies guys, I had a feeling it might work that way... Will have to find other cost cutting mechanisms!

7. Angus_McCrory

Angus_McCrory Old n' Crusty

Get you mates to put their hands in their pockets.....FFS, if you cant afford park entry fee are you sure you can afford to go skiing/boarding?

8. HappyGirl

HappyGirl One of Us

Rather than spending $190 at the pub, spend it instead on the Park Pass like everybody else does.

9. teckel

teckel Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

"Me and a few friends". $27 a day. I presume that's at least 4 of you? $6.75 each per day. The price of a coffee! Take a thermos of coffee with you and you've saved your car entry.

10. JoW

JoW First Runs

haha skiing is an expensive enterprise in Australia! I've only ever been in Canada, and it was insanely cheap over there (as well as insanely fun!). Been hoping to go here for a while! The thermos idea will definitely be employed!

11. sbm

sbm One of Us

Annual national parks pass for every park except KNP: $65

Annual national parks pass including KNP: $190

Part of the experience of skiing in Australia is getting ripped off left, right and center because you can "afford to go to the snow". Helps foster the elitism that keeps the Ski Industry's prestige up. Can't let people have fun without paying up! You think NPWS could at least put more effort into controlling the deer on the Alpine Way for that price.

Sorry, I'm a bit cranky today cos of the rain in Sydney, and because I paid for the parks pass last weekend and no-one's paid up yet.

12. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Check Victoria's pricing. $190 is soooo cheeaaappp....

13. LMB

Two years in a row the lady in the box at the entry gate happily gave me a season pass tied to my drivers licence rather than my car, seeing as there was no way we would be driving from Perth, and the cost of the annual pass was cheaper than a daily rate for my first stay that season.

Last year I got a grumpy one who said it was possible but only if I wrote to the head office and got a covering letter and went in to some office somewhere to collect one...(but this was in trip 2 so she honored it anyway).

This year I simply asked what I should do?
    And the woman volunteered to tie it to my car at home and write the hire car rego on the window sticker for the number of trip days. I just play it by ear. If they want to charge me extra I'm not about to argue - the flights, accomodation and gear whoring cost me WAY more than a park entry - extra agro not necessary.

#13 LMB, Jun 25, 2013
  14. sbm

sbm One of Us

No, NZ national parks are free. That's cheap. Climbers were outraged (OUTRAGED!) when the camping fee at Mt. Arapiles was increased from an unenforced $2 a night to an unenforced $4 a night.

Just because victorians get ripped off even more doesn't suddenly make our deal a bargain.

It's just a shame even the national parks service sees our limited snowy resources as a cash cow to be milked, rather than a recreational opportunity to be preserved for all Australians.

#14 sbm, Jun 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2013
  15. Telemark Phat

Telemark Phat Pass the butter Ski Pass: Gold

IPART approved that price years ago to run the Perisher poo works in winter.
    Press Release
    So yes, you are being ripped off if you ski at Thredbo, but not if you use the toilet at Perisher.

#15 Telemark Phat, Jun 25, 2013
  16. sbm

sbm One of Us

Interesting, I had no idea that they bore the costs for running that much of the resort operations: "The Perisher Range Resorts have a major lessee for ski slope operations and critical village facilities, but all users lease directly from the NPWS. The NPWS also provides infrastructure services to the lessees."

I stand slightly corrected.

#16 sbm, Jun 25, 2013
  17. Mr. Mook

Mr. Mook One of Us

well yes, but there still should be the option to buy a parks pas for KNP only.
    The rip off is that even if you only ever got to KNP, some of that money you pay for the annual pass goes to maintaining other parks.
    BUT you can buy single parks pass $22 for any other park and pay only to enter that park, yet this option is not available for KNP

http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/annualpass/WhichAnnualPassShouldIBuy.htm

#17 Mr. Mook, Jun 25, 2013
  18. Telemark Phat

Telemark Phat Pass the butter Ski Pass: Gold

No other park has so much accommodation within the park or the required infrastructure, which is expensive.

User pays at work.

19. steveeeee

steveeeee First Runs

quick question: the website says buses are required to pay $11.50 per person

does anyone know what the definition of a bus is? is it 9 person or above etc?

20. BobGnarly

BobGnarly One of Us

from rta website

Buses
    Motor vehicles that are built to carry people, seat more than 9 adults (including the driver) and weigh over 4.5 tonnes GVM or 2.5 tonnes tare and over.

21. steveeeee

steveeeee First Runs

so a 8 seater should fall within $27 for vehicle per day!

sweet!

22. LMB

Correct.