1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Car Pool Sharing transport to Vic resorts - Day Trips

Discussion in 'Mt Baw Baw' started by JustCantStop, May 16, 2014.

1. JustCantStop

JustCantStop Addicted

Hi All

I posted a similar message in the 'Arrangements' forum but i'm not sure if that was appropriate, so i'm putting it here too.

Long story short i'm looking for people to share transport with for day trips to the closer resorts to Melbourne (Baw Baw and Buller). And even potentially ski with them, although I like skiing on my own. As soon as there are 4 or 5 lifts open at Buller (which will probably be Bourke St, Burnt Hut, Summit, Wombat) I plan to head up for the day. Preferably on a weekday. I am happy to take my car (although its a 2wd). Im in the Eastern suburbs.

Wont do day trips to Falls or Hotham, just too far.

Im not sure if ski.com.au punters ever do things like this? None of my friends, family ski so I am just looking to cut costs. Send me a msg if you are interested.

Further to this, if memory serves there are designated spots sometimes for ski.com.au punters to meet during the day at times through the season?

Can't wait to get on snow!!!!

JCS

2. fusion_m8

fusion_m8 First Runs

I'll keep this in mind, I will probably start skiing in August/Sept.

3. stridercdh

stridercdh Addicted

I'd be interested and willing to help. I usually do my skiing mid week. Mostly to Buller and Baw Baw, but I'd like to do Stirling more and also St Gwinear. I drive an AWD so access usually isn't an issue. So long as you don't mind tagging along with a free-heeler ;-) I'm located in Frankston, but quite often stay in Pakenham the night before a day trip to Baw Baw. I always travel to Buller via Ringwood etc, so can do a pick up out that way.

#3 stridercdh, Jun 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
  4. Emz27

Emz27 Hard Yards

I'm in a similar position with no family and few friends who frequent the snow as much as i do. I'm also situated in Eastern suburbs and often do day trips to Buller.
    It would be great to have someone to share the costs with and/or ski with.
    I do own a Subaru XV which can be handy on the few days chains are needed.
    Only thing is i'll be overseas for the second half of July so unless the weather changes drastically, I won't be free until August.
    Let it snow!

5. stridercdh

stridercdh Addicted

Hi Emz,
    I'd be happy to share the driving with you as I too fequent the snowfields often solo, so it would be good to have some company. I own Subaru Outback which is handy also.
    Cheers,
    Chris

6. Emz27

Emz27 Hard Yards

Hey Chris,

Sounds good to me! If this system they are predicting comes off i may just get up there before i leave on the 12th July.
    Good taste with the Suby too :)

Cheers,
    Em

7. stridercdh

stridercdh Addicted

I'm planning on heading up during next week, suss out some of these fresh dumps (if they happen). If you need a lift at some stage, sing out. Where are you located?

Chris

8. Emz27

Emz27 Hard Yards

I'll be sure to let you know, thanks Chris. I'm in Mitcham, so depending on which way you go can be on the way to Buller.
    In this case i'll have to chuck a 'snowy' as they call it haha.

Cheers,
    Em

9. rime noreason

rime noreason One of Us

Hi. Newly signed up to the forum but been reading the forum for the past couple of years. This is the primary reason why I've recently joined up here as currently no family that skis, and friends don't really ski either.

I ski at Buller on weekdays and also live in the eastern 'burbs of Melbourne. I generally do daytrips fairly spur of the moment when snow looks good and preferably fresh. Happy to ski on my own, but would also be happy to have a drink and a couple of slides with others similar and share the roadtrip if it works, and I'm good to do the driving too. Have 4WD if necessary, and chains for 2WD.

I'd be interested in next week if there's snow, otherwise looking forward to skiing in the not too distant weeks.

Cheers :)

10. stridercdh

stridercdh Addicted

Hi Rime,

As I said before I do most of my skiing at Buller and mostly during the week. Like you, mostly ski solo but do appreciate some company from time to time. So if you want to tee up a snow day and share transport, please drop me a line. Where in E suburbs are you? I'm in Frankston but I usually travel up via Eastlink thru Ringwood, Yea etc.

Cheers,
    Chris

11. JLou

JLou Hard Yards

I could be interested in "playing" too ... especially in August.
    My family are all 'snowpeople' but I have all of August off (long service leave) and no one to ski/travel with mid week, but plan on LOTS of BawBaw trips if the snow is good. Could be persuaded to visit Buller too! I live near Drouin so BawBaw is soon much closer. Mostly available 3rd to 24th August .... we are at Hotham for a week either side of that ;-)

I have a 4wd WITH an All Resorts Pass, so help with fuel costs, travel & ski companions would be great :)

12. JLou

JLou Hard Yards

Haha ... just checked out all your profiles ... want to see who I am offering rides to ;)
    @stridercdh ... we share an occupation:cheers:

13. stridercdh

stridercdh Addicted

Sounds good JLou. I'd be happy to ski/travel mid week, and will be starting my snow fun from mid of next week (depending on snow, of course). Baw Baw would be good if they have snow. I'm a volunteer patroller at St Gwinear so we're in the same situation in that it may yet be some time until we have skiable snow. Maybe give the higher resorts a go until then? I'm happy to do trips up to Buller and Stirling. Happy to help with fuel costs, I lease my vehicle so my fuel costs are generally sorted ahead of time. Go nurses eh?! :)

P.S. I'm an ex Gippy resident too :)

14. JLou

JLou Hard Yards

Funny ... I am a volunteer patrolled at Mt BawBaw!!
    I am not around for midweek trips until August ... Hoping there is lots of snow everywhere by then!!!

15. stridercdh

stridercdh Addicted

LOL that's awesome!! We just had our training day at St G. Maybe we'll cross paths sometime.

16. JustCantStop

JustCantStop Addicted

If the resorts really do get 60-80 cms over the next week then a day trip somewhere is DEFINITELY on the cards. I'm thinking Buller. If summit and wombat are open i'll gladly ride all day on those two areas. Im in Blackburn and can do mid week.

17. dr80

dr80 One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

mini (party) bus required soon the way this is going :D

18. Emz27

Emz27 Hard Yards

Hi guys,

If this predicted dump does come off this week, would anyone be interested in heading to Buller next Sunday? Yes I know it's school holidays and will be busy but at this stage the only day I have available (damn full time work interrupting my snow time).
    I'm in Mitcham, own a Subaru and have chains.
    Let me know :)
    Cheers,
    Em

19. stridercdh

stridercdh Addicted

I can't do Sunday next week due to work. :-( I can do midweek though.

20. JustCantStop

JustCantStop Addicted

Yeah Sunday might be doable. Although I'd be giving the condition that at least a few lifts are running (obviously) which will mean not confirming completely til the last moment.

21. JLou

JLou Hard Yards

Can't do Sunday either ... patroling at BawBaw next weekend ... and we will even have snow :woohoo:

22. stridercdh

stridercdh Addicted

I may be patrolling the week following. Apparently St G has agreed to help you guys out. :)

23. Richard

Richard Maintenance Dept Administrator

I have moved the arrangements post to Buller topic and this one to Baw Baw topic with the prefix - Car Pool.

24. rime noreason

rime noreason One of Us

Hi Chris
    Sounds good, I'll send a Private Message.

25. Mitchell Belden

Mitchell Belden Hard Yards

Hey guys,

I am in the same boat! Keen skier, with a limited number of equally minded friends haha.

I am fairly flexible with work, so can usually get a mid week day off! Anyway i will keep you all in mind if i am thinking of heading to Buller or Baw Baw. The only thing is i live in Williamstown so a little out of the way, however would be happy to meet somewhere and just leave the car!

Mitch

26. stridercdh

stridercdh Addicted

If there's enough snow still on the ground on Saturday I'll be heading up to BB for a day trip/sneaky ski. If anyone would like a lift up from SE Melb or anywhere en route please let me know;)