1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Car Pool Sharing transport to Vic Resorts

Discussion in 'Mt Buller' started by JustCantStop, May 16, 2014.

1. JustCantStop

JustCantStop Addicted

Hi All

Wasn't sure where to put this thread. Im on a super tight budget this year so I'm looking to cut costs where I can. Do ski.com.au punters ever organise trips together? Or if not full trips then car pooling? I plan to do a few day trips to Baw Baw and Buller and sharing the ride would be good. None of my friends ski (because they are sensible and its the worlds most expensive bloody hobby) and major savings are made by sharing petrol/resort entry/etc.

Let me know if you'd be interested in car pooling for some day trips. I will probably do it during the week too, as my job is flexible and the roads will be far more quiet and the runs more empty, obviously.

I'm going to head to Buller for the day as soon as there are at least about 4 or 5 runs open (which will probably be Wombat, Summit, Bourke Street, Burnt Hut, Howqua). If those five are all open I think a day is worthwhile.

Send me a msg if you are interested.

JCS

2. chriscross

chriscross One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Where are you, JCS? I often ski solo but would possibly be interested in sharing driving, petrol etc.

3. JustCantStop

JustCantStop Addicted

Im in the Eastern suburbs. The right side of the city for going to Buller and Baw Baw.

4. Moondog55

Moondog55 One of Us

I'll be looking for transport to Falls Creek myself as some-one totaled my ute but I'll be coming from Geelong

5. chriscross

chriscross One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I'm in far outer east, like Beaconsfield, good for BB, can do Buller with a bit more hassle, but I usually stay overnight up that way; it's a long day trip.

6. stridercdh

stridercdh Addicted

I'd be interested and willing to help. I usually do my skiing mid week. Mostly to Buller and Baw Baw, but I'd like to do Stirling more and also St Gwinear. I drive an AWD so access usually isn't an issue. So long as you don't mind tagging along with a free-heeler ;-) I'm located in Frankston, but quite often stay in Pakenham the night before a day trip to Baw Baw. I always travel to Buller via Ringwood etc, so can do a pick up out that way.

7. fusion_m8

fusion_m8 First Runs

I am in Mount Waverley, looks like next week is looking good for snow falls. I won't be able to go for day trips on Saturdays till mid July. I usually leave the house around 5am for my day trips to Buller. I got all my gear so I don't need to stop at Mansfield to hire anything except chains.

8. Emz27

Emz27 Hard Yards

Hi JCS! I'm with you, in that a day trip to Buller on Sunday will purely depend on what snow falls this week.
    I probably won't decide on heading up until Friday.
    If you or anyone else is interested PM me :)

9. JustCantStop

JustCantStop Addicted

Hey Emz

Tried to PM you and it didn't work, said your box was full. Yeah I'm certainly a maybe for Buller (is that a double negative?)... i am having trouble believing that they are going to get a metre of snow in a week. But fingers are crossed nonetheless. I'd say 70-80cms would open up the usual suspects (Bourke St, Summit, Wombat, Burnt Hut, etc) and be enough to warrant a day trip.

JCS

10. EvilTeddy

EvilTeddy Hard Yards

Question: Should we be putting down approximate abilities as well, as having a carpool is great, but having people who are approximately the same ability is even better! ;)

11. Emz27

Emz27 Hard Yards

Sorry JCS,yes my inbox was full and I didn't realise. I've since emptied it so it should be fine from now on.
    Either Summit or Wombat need to be open for me to even consider heading up (anything else is a bonus). Guess we'll know more later in the week.
    EvilTeddy - yes i agree perhaps ability levels are worth mentioning.
    I both ski and board but I'm a better skier. I would same i'm an intermediate to advanced skier and intermediate boarder.
    I have all my own hardware for both.
    If my ability levels don't suit i'm happy to go off on my own but still car pool if that works.
    Cheers,
    Em

12. JustCantStop

JustCantStop Addicted

Yeah i'm a skier, intermediate -> advanced. And have all my own gear. And likewise, I ski on my own these days more often than not, but happy to ski together too.

Emz27 likes this.
  13. rime noreason

rime noreason One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

If there was enough snow for a few runs to open I'd head up there for the day on Thursday. However I have reservations there'll be enough skiable snow by then when it's still only falling on grass.
    My next opportunity wouldn't be until the following Wednesday, maybe Tuesday if I push it.

I'd be upper inter to advanced here too.

I'm happy to have a few runs, or even just a coffee - wouldn't want to hold anyone back.:)

14. DbSki

DbSki Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

If you are skiing together easy to get seperated so either way arrange a time youll be leaving Buller and make contact by phone 1/2 hour or so beforehand to make sure all involved will be at the carpark on time.

15. stridercdh

stridercdh Addicted

I'm an intermediate tele skier. Though the break between each season has a habit of negating that a bit ;)

16. cookieman

cookieman One of Us

If anybody wants a lift only to Hotham/DP i am departing Thomastown early afternoon this Friday.
    Returning either Sunday pm or Monday.
    Comfy awd.

17. sjscicluna

sjscicluna First Runs

anyone heading up over the next few days i have all my gear including chains for that suit my forester which i can't take (due to wife needing the car she can't drive manual and my car is lucky to get me to work)
    im an intermediate border

18. lobster_chang

lobster_chang First Runs

Anyone going to Mt Buller on Thursday for the day and need a co-pilot / seat filler ? Will chuck in for fuel / parking / redbull of course.