1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Question Shibu Onsen experience and transport?

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Steve Ward, Feb 13, 2020.

1. Steve Ward

Steve Ward Hard Yards

Thinking of doing 2 nights in Shibu Onsen with the family next season on the way to Nozawa Onsen. Any recommendations for: accommodation (ryokan I guess) in Shibu Onsen? And tips/tricks for transport from Hokuriku-sen to Shibu Onsen; and onward from Shibu Onsen to Nozawa (that looks hard... there are 9 of us so some charter could be an option). Thanks in advance for any collective wisdom.

2. Mr.Roo

Mr.Roo Hard Yards

Hi Steve I stayed in a great hotel/ ryokan called aburaya tosen for a night last week on my way home from Shiga Kogen. Really nice onsen, open all day/night apart for an hour to clean, and pods on the roof where you can have dinner or drinks under the stars. They can collect you from yudanaka station or short walk, but I’m sure you could negotiate an alternative. Cheap restaurants nearby (They give you a map)or fine dining at the hotel. It’s a maybe 2 km from Shibu onsen proper. Plenty of buses. Everyone in our party loved it.

fennekeg likes this.
  3. Steve Ward

Steve Ward Hard Yards

thanks! I will check that out!!

Mr.Roo likes this.
  4. Shoey

Shoey Hard Yards

We stayed at Uotoshi Ryokan which was walkable from Yudanaka station, as a post-ski overnight before train back to the city. Very small/quiet family style inn, the owner was quite nice and drove us to the snow monkey park (but you have to make your own way back, via the bus that goes via Shibu Onsen). Indoor only M/F separated onsens, but we were the only guests there so could use it privately. Owner spoke English quite well. Dined at the local restaurants in Yudanaka - sushi chef bar counter with sumo wrestling on the TV. Loved it.

We didn't get a chance to go to Shibu Onsen, would really have loved to hearing Sprited Away took some inspiration from there.

fennekeg likes this.
  5. Steve Ward

Steve Ward Hard Yards

thx - will check that too!