Shiga Kogen 2021 - 2022 season

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
Nice!
Would not recommend Villa Ichinose to your group, it’s clean but old. 2+ star.

they won’t go anywhere else but Mominoki
I stayed at La Neige Higashikan in Wadano in 2014, an excellent deal that I’ll never get again
it’s been Mominoki ever since
as I say, I go with the flow - too difficult arguing
Villa Ichinose is at Shiga Kogen. Ichinose is like a village cluster of maybe 35 hotels, and it's the area that's the most convenient to stay at Shiga Kogen.

Reactions: snowgum and Hyst

Zimbooo

One of Us
Nov 20, 2017
Villa Ichinose is at Shiga Kogen. Ichinose is like a village cluster of maybe 35 hotels, and it's the area that's the most convenient to stay at Shiga Kogen.
Yes, I do know ......and I think person s gets it.
I Was advising person s if they did go to Shiga don’t stay at Villa as the digs they are used to in Hakuba at Mominoki are nothing what Villa can offer. Probs Okushiga Hotel would suit his group if he can get them out of Hakuba?

Zimbooo

One of Us
Nov 20, 2017
I stayed at La Neige Higashikan in Wadano in 2014, an excellent deal that I’ll never get again
We have a family friend, that’s been going to Hakuba every year for probs 15 years. Loves it. Has great friends there so I get it. Although, I like to see and experience new things every now and then. Everyone to their own.

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yes, I do know ......and I think person s gets it.
I Was advising person s if they did go to Shiga don’t stay at Villa as the digs they are used to in Hakuba at Mominoki are nothing what Villa can offer. Probs Okushiga Hotel would suit his group if he can get them out of Hakuba?
Yes, I was answering HIS post, because he'd mistaken Villa Ichinose for a hotel at Hakuba.

Hyst

Enjoyer
Ski Pass
Nov 23, 2014
Copenhagen
www.ahmadjoudeh.com

Hotel Grand Phenix is may be the only place for this guys. But even that one may not even live up to their standards.
https://www.hotelgrandphenix.co.jp/en/

@person s
Your really go with the flow for lodging - even in Åre! :whistle:

Looking forward to hear about your lodging in Beijing 2022 ( You really should do a detour to Shiga on the way back! :clap: )

Schnaxxy Schnaxxlburger

but a dream within a dream
Ski Pass
Jun 23, 2001
macdonaltown
Hotel Grand Phenix is may be the only place for this guys. But even that one may not even live up to their standards.
https://www.hotelgrandphenix.co.jp/en/

@person s
Your really go with the flow for lodging - even in Åre! :whistle:
Looking forward to hear about your lodging in Beijing 2022 ( You really should do a detour to Shiga on the way back! :clap: )
I loved my Åre hostel!
that Shiga place looks a bit luxe for me
I was hoping to do Japan pre-China, but who knows?
the Cortina world champs organisers decided no spectators and that volunteers could only come from Italy - from Veneto in fact - so Beijing might end up like that too and only use locals
if Covid is still an issue next year, I'll probably be here

Reactions: Hyst

elSpike

I am a Meat Popsicle
Ski Pass
Jul 28, 2015
Late to the party. +1 for staying in Ichinose for access to the whole of Shiga. We've stayed in both Prince West x 1 and Chalet Shiga x 4. As you can see, we've found our ideal place ;-). Similar to other comments, Chalet Shiga has both a ski shop (Head branded) and restaurant (Teppa Room, best bar in Shiga) in the building and within 100m from dropping in to either Family or Diamond to start your day. Additional food options are available at the izakaya in Villa Ichinose and across the road in the Diamond building (but you'll probably have lunch there and its the same menu for lunch and dinner).

Admittedly this hotel is a decent walk uphill to the rest of the village for the other restaurants and the combinis. We dont mind the walk as we just enjoy the crispness in the evening.

Basically staying pretty much anywhere in Ichinose will give you access to the whole of the resort and the strong possibility of getting a seat on the shuttle over to Kumanoyu as you are one of the first stops.

Slight self promotion. My last two trip reports have pretty comprehensive restaurant and skiing tips.
https://www.ski.com.au/xf/threads/elspikes-2020-sneaky-skiski-shiga-kogen.87082/
https://www.ski.com.au/xf/threads/elspikes-ski-ski-2020-shiga-kogen-and-myoko.86461/
- second one has links to earlier ones at the prince.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Basically staying pretty much anywhere in Ichinose will give you access to the whole of the resort and the strong possibility of getting a seat on the shuttle over to Kumanoyu as you are one of the first stops.
The bus to Kumanoyu/Yokoteyama requires a bus change at Yamanoeki. Another option, which MAY now be quicker(although I haven't tried it), is to catch the Ichinose Family quad at 8.30am, then to Takamagahara, Nishidateyama, and then to Giant to catch the new gondola to Yamanoeki.
So the timing:
1. Bus at Ichinose, ~ 8.55am, Yamanoeki ~ 9.20am. Bus at Yamanoeki to Kumanoyu/Yokoteyama, 9.30am.
2. Ichinose Family quad(5min), 8.30am. Ski to Takamagahara(4min), across the road bridge(2min), up triple chair to Nishidateyama(3min), and down to Giant(5min). Up the gondola(4min). (times including waiting, total less than 30min)
Bus at Yamanoeki to Kumanoyu/Yokoteyama, 9.05am.
:D Doable!!!

elSpike

I am a Meat Popsicle
Ski Pass
Jul 28, 2015
2. Ichinose Family quad(5min), 8.30am. Ski to Takamagahara(4min), across the road bridge(2min), up triple chair to Nishidateyama(3min), and down to Giant(5min). Up the gondola(4min). (times including waiting, total less than 30min)
Please check this weekend Sandy! We await the results eagerly. ;-)

Reactions: Sandy and Hyst

Hyst

Enjoyer
Ski Pass
Nov 23, 2014
Copenhagen
www.ahmadjoudeh.com
Or choose a location where you do not have to change bus! :D Just saying.:whistle:

Not Ichinose..PNG

Reactions: elSpike and Sandy

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Or choose a location where you do not have to change bus! :D Just saying.:whistle:

Not Ichinose..PNG
Option 2, no need to change bus, AND you get some skiing in. :p

Nemps20

Early Days
Jul 27, 2021
Sydney
Well here we go, first post. Bit late to the party, though now I have some vested interest in Okushiga now, so thought I would throw my 2 bob in..
very good input and info on Shiga, though my thoughts on Okushiga vary.
I have stayed at Okushiga Kogen Hotel, funnily enough in Oct 19, funny as now snow that time of year. We were quite literally the only people in the hotel for the first few nights so hard to get a feel for the place.
It was clean, we were well looked after and the food was tasty, both Japanese & western.
As I said no snow but the colours in the highlands that time of the year are amazing.
Snow season I stayed at the pensions Kinoko & Haku just below the Grand Phenix.
Both lovely Pensions in a traditional manner. Well priced with half board (breakfast & dinner inc) & lovely hosting families.
Good meals at both places, traditional baths, clean rooms and a 5 min walk to lift.
The skiing at Okushiga is great with some easy access side country just off the main groomers and then some gated runs off the traverse between Okushiga & Yakebitaiyama.
These are harder to access and exit so you need to be a bit more sure of your skills and location to ride. A couple of my friends ended up walking out for 40 mins as they rode to far down the mountain and missed the exit on the side country :)
Yes they do shut down the lifts on storm days however there is ways around this.
And yes it is a little quieter than the other side of the mountain, but what a great region to get out and have a look at.
I was guided from Okushiga down to Sun Valley and back to Ichinose non stop Japanese style for 5 1/2 hours..
Some great terrain, views & non stop skiing/boarding all the way. Just got the shuttle back to Okushiga from Ichinose as drank with a Nihon jin at the end :) & we were quite buggered by that stage.
Anyway I hope this helps, or gets you all excited to get back to Japan & Okushiga Kogen as much as I am.

For now just have to watch the Olympics

Reactions: elSpike and Hyst

davec1

Addicted
Ski Pass
Feb 1, 2016
Slight self promotion. My last two trip reports have pretty comprehensive restaurant and skiing tips.
https://www.ski.com.au/xf/threads/elspikes-2020-sneaky-skiski-shiga-kogen.87082/
https://www.ski.com.au/xf/threads/elspikes-ski-ski-2020-shiga-kogen-and-myoko.86461/
- second one has links to earlier ones at the prince.
Thanks for taking the time do give these reports. Its a great resource.

I have come acoss differring reports on booking accommodation, some say that most places will only take bookings up to 3 months out, others can be a bit further with the help of an travel agent.

How for out did you have to book with Chalet Shiga?

What are others expereinces with booking accommodation?

elSpike

I am a Meat Popsicle
Ski Pass
Jul 28, 2015
Thanks for taking the time do give these reports. Its a great resource.

I have come acoss differring reports on booking accommodation, some say that most places will only take bookings up to 3 months out, others can be a bit further with the help of an travel agent.

How for out did you have to book with Chalet Shiga?

What are others expereinces with booking accommodation?

Chalet Shiga is 3 months on their website and Booking aggregators, but you can email them directly earlier than that, or Hisae at Japan Snow Accommodation (Australian company based in Brisbane I’ve used multiple times) can also assist with early bookings.

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Japanese people don't book more than a few weeks out, so 3 months out is ok. I usually do this right on 3 months.

However, midweek accomm is easy to get a week out.

Reactions: davec1

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Well here we go, first post. Bit late to the party, though now I have some vested interest in Okushiga now, so thought I would throw my 2 bob in..
very good input and info on Shiga, though my thoughts on Okushiga vary.
I have stayed at Okushiga Kogen Hotel, funnily enough in Oct 19, funny as now snow that time of year. We were quite literally the only people in the hotel for the first few nights so hard to get a feel for the place.
It was clean, we were well looked after and the food was tasty, both Japanese & western.
As I said no snow but the colours in the highlands that time of the year are amazing.
Snow season I stayed at the pensions Kinoko & Haku just below the Grand Phenix.
Both lovely Pensions in a traditional manner. Well priced with half board (breakfast & dinner inc) & lovely hosting families.
Good meals at both places, traditional baths, clean rooms and a 5 min walk to lift.
The skiing at Okushiga is great with some easy access side country just off the main groomers and then some gated runs off the traverse between Okushiga & Yakebitaiyama.
These are harder to access and exit so you need to be a bit more sure of your skills and location to ride. A couple of my friends ended up walking out for 40 mins as they rode to far down the mountain and missed the exit on the side country :)
Yes they do shut down the lifts on storm days however there is ways around this.
And yes it is a little quieter than the other side of the mountain, but what a great region to get out and have a look at.
I was guided from Okushiga down to Sun Valley and back to Ichinose non stop Japanese style for 5 1/2 hours..
Some great terrain, views & non stop skiing/boarding all the way. Just got the shuttle back to Okushiga from Ichinose as drank with a Nihon jin at the end :) & we were quite buggered by that stage.
Anyway I hope this helps, or gets you all excited to get back to Japan & Okushiga Kogen as much as I am.

For now just have to watch the Olympics
Also see this thread. Lots of good info & photos (2019/20 season, 2020/21 added)

https://www.ski.com.au/xf/threads/shiga-kogen-2019-2020-2020-2021.86082/

Reactions: snowgum and Hyst

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
Hong Kong based company Melco bought Oku-Shiga Kogen before COVID-19 shock. It was reported Melco would open (a) new hotel(s), renew lifts, etc and they would make Oku-Shiga Kogen a true four season resort. I noticed Melco are currently looking for new employees working at Oku-Shiga Kogen. Many tourism related companies are (or were) currently not hiring new people. Even after the COVID-19 shock, Melco is still serious to invest a lot in Oku-Shiga Kogen?

Reactions: Sandy and Tanuki

elSpike

I am a Meat Popsicle
Ski Pass
Jul 28, 2015
How long does it take to drive from Myoko to Shiga?Want to do some day trips next year.Hopefully.
Took us maybe 1.5 hours last time we did Shiga to Myoko. I assume similar for the return. (We did a one way transfer at about 8am)

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
How long does it take to drive from Myoko to Shiga?Want to do some day trips next year.Hopefully.
Took us maybe 1.5 hours last time we did Shiga to Myoko. I assume similar for the return. (We did a one way transfer at about 8am)
1.5 hours sounds about right out of Ichinose. Do you know Shiga at all?

However, for a day trip from Myoko, I'd park at Yamanoeki, and catch the new gondola to Giant to save the extra 20min on the drive to Ichinose/Yakebitai and get extra skking in. A weekend would be busy at Yamanoeki though, but the car park is huge there. (just behind the hall and post office.)

Reactions: dr80 and Hyst

Sbooker

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 28, 2015
@Sandy
I can’t get any real perspective of the Shiga area from a layout perspective. The google maps doesn’t reflect the online ski maps…..
Do you have a map that may help?
So it is one long valley with Yokoteyama at one end and Okushiga at the other with Inchinose in the centre?
And if approaching Shiga by road you would come through Yamanochi?

Hyst

Enjoyer
Ski Pass
Nov 23, 2014
Copenhagen
www.ahmadjoudeh.com
@Sandy
I can’t get any real perspective of the Shiga area from a layout perspective. The google maps doesn’t reflect the online ski maps…..
So it is one long valley with Yokoteyama at one end and Okushiga at the other with Inchinose in the centre?
Not quite right - wait for @Sandy or zoom here (if you can read maps):

Sbooker

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 28, 2015
^^^^
Thanks but that is even more confusing. I can’t speak Japanese let alone read it.

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
@Sandy

I guess this is the trail map?

Shiga Kogen trail map 2.jpg

It can be a bit confusing. The area is big. It's more than 8km from the pond at the bottom to Okushiga in the top left. It looks like Yokoteyama at the top right is almost right next to Hasuike but it's not, it's about 5km away by shuttle bus.

The whole map is compressed from left to right. The road comes in near the pond, and past Sunvalley, and then splits at Hasuike towards Ichinose, Yakebitai and Okushiga to the left, and Yokoteyama at the right.
Shiga Kogen is on a plateau, with the highest spot at Yokoteyama ~2307m.

This may be slightly easier to digest, since it's to scale:

Shiga Kogen trail map 1.jpg

Look at the road. At the right towards Yokoteyama, the road goes past Hasuike to the base areas of Yokoteyama and Kumanoyu. A gentle cat track runs from the top of Kumanoyu to midway up Yokoteyama, and a chair takes you up to the right, to the peak. Shibutoge runs down the other side of the peak. The road further above the base of Yokoteyama is not for general traffic.

The other road to the left runs from Hasuike under Giant along some peaks & through tunnels and emerges near Takamagahara. From that point, it's a "V" valley with the runs going UP either side of the road. There are peaks at the top of Yakebitai, Terakoya and a smaller one at the top of Nishidateyama.

The longest runs are around Yakebitai and Okushiga.

Not sure if that's helped, but hopefully so.

Reactions: Sbooker

Sbooker

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 28, 2015
Shiga Kogen trail map 2.jpg

It can be a bit confusing. The area is big. It's more than 8km from the pond at the bottom to Okushiga in the top left. It looks like Yokoteyama at the top right is almost right next to Hasuike but it's not, it's about 5km away by shuttle bus.

The whole map is compressed from left to right. The road comes in near the pond, and past Sunvalley, and then splits at Hasuike towards Ichinose, Yakebitai and Okushiga to the left, and Yokoteyama at the right.
Shiga Kogen is on a plateau, with the highest spot at Yokoteyama ~2307m.

This may be slightly easier to digest, since it's to scale:

Shiga Kogen trail map 1.jpg

Look at the road. At the right towards Yokoteyama, the road goes past Hasuike to the base areas of Yokoteyama and Kumanoyu. A gentle cat track runs from the top of Kumanoyu to midway up Yokoteyama, and a chair takes you up to the right, to the peak. Shibutoge runs down the other side of the peak. The road further above the base of Yokoteyama is not for general traffic.

The other road to the left runs from Hasuike under Giant along some peaks & through tunnels and emerges near Takamagahara. From that point, it's a "V" valley with the runs going UP either side of the road. There are peaks at the top of Yakebitai, Terakoya and a smaller one at the top of Nishidateyama.

The longest runs are around Yakebitai and Okushiga.

Not sure if that's helped, but hopefully so.
A great help. Thanks.

hotsaki

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 10, 2010
Darwin Australia
1.5 hours sounds about right out of Ichinose. Do you know Shiga at all?

However, for a day trip from Myoko, I'd park at Yamanoeki, and catch the new gondola to Giant to save the extra 20min on the drive to Ichinose/Yakebitai and get extra skking in. A weekend would be busy at Yamanoeki though, but the car park is huge there. (just behind the hall and post office.)
Know Ichibose quite well Like to have dinner at the Nepalese restaurant with ski.com moderators!

hipo

One off
Ski Pass
Jun 23, 2011
here and there
Here's another map which is not compressed and may give you a better picture of the scale of the area.. The road in from Nagano past the pond @Sandy referred to, is in the bottom middle of the map near the base of the Sun VAlley ski area
I would definitely stay again in the Inchinose area for both the easy exploring access to all areas for skiing and the bit of dining out at night.
shiga Kogan map.png

Tonester

Lift Line Nazi
Ski Pass
Jul 6, 2001
Sydney
Here's another map which is not compressed and may give you a better picture of the scale of the area.. The road in from Nagano past the pond @Sandy referred to, is in the bottom middle of the map near the base of the Sun VAlley ski area
I would definitely stay again in the Inchinose area for both the easy exploring access to all areas for skiing and the bit of dining out at night.
shiga Kogan map.png
That is a MUCH better representation of reality. Nice find

Hyst

Enjoyer
Ski Pass
Nov 23, 2014
Copenhagen
www.ahmadjoudeh.com
Haha, doesn’t almost every resort in Japan LOL
Nippon Cables rather sells lifts to North America!
And Nippon Cables worked together with Doppelmayr from the 70's.

But some Leitner, Doppelmayr and new Nippon Cables would be nice - does not need to have heated seats. ;)

However some parts of west Italy Alps are not exactly new either. :zzz::zzz:

I would love a connection to Manza - caterpillar would do.

Schnaxxy Schnaxxlburger

but a dream within a dream
Ski Pass
Jun 23, 2001
macdonaltown
my team of geriatrics is now down to three
one wants to stay in a ryokan a bus trip away, one likes the Prince and I’m tentatively at the Kodama at the bottom of the Ichinose ‘family’ slope [I think] per the map from @hipo
we may even see each other sometime
they also want more days at Nozawa, so maybe only four at Shiga

Reactions: hotsaki

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
shiga Kogan map.png
That is a MUCH better representation of reality. Nice find
The only problem Ive always had with that one, is that it gives the impression that Shiga Kogen is much more jagged and alpine than it really is:
There are no huge jagged peaks behind. The impression of Terakoya down to the bottom of Ichinose is that it's a long mostly steep continuous vertical, which it's not. The bottom half of Yokoteyama looks like some reasonably steep green runs, but it's actually as flat as a tack. Shibutoge looks like it's steeper and off the side, but it's flatter and off the back.
There's hardly any trees shown, but Shiga has a lot of trees.

But I think it's gives a better impression of the "fall" direction of the runs.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass