Snow Report Shiga Kogen info

Randy Simon

First Runs
Jan 7, 2014
Hello. I am traveling in Asia for my honeymoon (from the U.S.) and want to ski in Japan. We are currently in Beijing, leaving for Tokyo tomorrow. We will be headed to Nagano on Sunday the 12th and planning on skiing at Shiga Kogen on the 13th. We are staying in Shibu Onsen, so I understand we will need to find transport to the ski area... any suggestions?

Is snowcan or the Prince Hotel better for equipment rental? Anywhere else I should look?

Also which part of Shiga Kogen offers the best snow and terrain? I ski regularly at home in Colorado, so expert / off-piste terrain would be preferred.

Any info is much appreciated.

Thanks!!

miro67

Hard Yards
Sep 29, 2009
Shiga is a massive ski area made up of a lot of interlinked resorts. Equipment rental at the Prince is a bit limited. Probably better at the base of Ichinose -this is about 1mile before the Prince (there is only one road). From Ichinose you can ski over to Yakebitaiyama (where the Prince is) or go up the other side of the valley to Terakoya. Personally, if I was only going for a day I would start over at Yakebi and see how things pan out (this is where the winter Olympics runs are and lots of lifts / gondolas and no people).

Off Piste is not the easiest to find at Shiga in a day.

Randy Simon

First Runs
Jan 7, 2014
Thanks! So you think I will find the best terrain at Yakebi?

Do you have a recommendation for a great rental shop in Ichinose?

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass