Shopping for new All Mountain skis

FatBoyDave

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 3, 2013
Melbourne
I've have a pair of 2016 Brahmas as my go to All Mountain skis for a while (2 1/2 seasons).
I demoed extensively at the time and this was the best of the bunch that I tried.
My pair before this was very traditional all mountain ski. Lots of camber and no rocker (Volkl AC50).
Ski mostly in Australia, with the odd overseas trip.
The Brahmas are advertised as a Rocker Camber Rocker ski. In reality they have a small amount of camber and a small-medium amount of tip rocker and a small amount of tail rocker.

What I like about them:
- Stiff
- Fast
- Good edge hold
- Fun (easy to turn in crud),
- Light (for a stiff All Mountain ski).
- reward strong, aggressive skiing

What I don't like:
- Not confidence inspiring at speed
- Can't really carve on them
- Very hard to initiate a medium/long turn with the rockered tips.

What I'm trying to find is something that still does all the great things this ski does but also is confidence inspiring when carving and medium turns. I wonder if something with less tip rocker might do the job?

I demoed a pair of 2017 Volkl Kendo's late last year and really liked them..
They seemed very different to the 2016 version. Lighter, more fun?

Can anyone recommend anything else I should be considering?
I tried a pair of HEAD Monster 88's for a few runs on the weekend and while the tips engaged a lot more and it had was rewarding in short turns, I wasn't in love...

I guess with an All Mountain ski it's a compromise, it's just finding that ski that has the compromises you are willing to live with.

Reactions: Tanuki

dr80

One of Us
Ski Pass
Oct 8, 2012
Vic surf coast
Still enjoying++ my dps wailer 99 hybrids.
The longer I've had them, the better I ski them

Yes, just personal really.
Though I do find I rarely love a ski straight up.
I need time to tune into the ski,
and sometimes re-tuning the ski to suit me.

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
I've have a pair of 2016 Brahmas as my go to All Mountain skis for a while (2 1/2 seasons).
I demoed extensively at the time and this was the best of the bunch that I tried.
My pair before this was very traditional all mountain ski. Lots of camber and no rocker (Volkl AC50).
The Brahmas are advertised as a Rocker Camber Rocker ski. In reality they have a small amount of camber and a small-medium amount of tip rocker and a small amount of tail rocker.

What I like about them:
- Stiff
- Fast
- Good edge hold

What I don't like:

What I'm trying to find is something that still does all the great things this ski does but also is confidence inspiring when carving and medium turns. I wonder if something with less tip rocker might do the job?

I tried a pair of HEAD Monster 88's for a few runs on the weekend and while the tips engaged a lot more and it had was rewarding in short turns, I wasn't in love...

I guess with an All Mountain ski it's a compromise, it's just finding that ski that has the compromises you are willing to live with.
If you don't feel the ski is good at speed and/or longer turns, then I'd be looking for a rocker/camber/straight tail ski rather than a rocker/camber/rocker ski. Shorter edge contact skis tend to be less stable at speed, and the tail rocker can shorten the edge contact a lot. A straight tail (no rocker) with camber to the tail will feel more stable at speed.

tip%20&%20tail%20rocker.jpg

For example, the Head Monster 88 you mentioned has a straight tail (no rocker) with camber to the tail:
rocker-camber.gif

Froff Life

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 2, 2014
Melbourne
I've never skied on the Brahmas, but the myriad of reviews I've read raved about their carving and turn ability on hardpack. Surprised you didn't find them easy to carve at speed with them, given that's kinda what they're designed for

Reactions: CarveMan

azzski

Should know better
Ski Pass
Aug 6, 1999
St Kilda, Australia
I'm nowhere near as strong a skier as CM or Buzzy, but put me down on the same list. The Brahmas are the most confidence-inspiring of any ski I've personally been on at speed, and medium-long turns are their forte. All that and more forgiving than the old AC50.

Reactions: CarveMan

FatBoyDave

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 3, 2013
Melbourne
Can I respectfully suggest that a lesson or two might be of assistance?

@Annabuzzy and I, amongst others have spent plenty of time on the Brahmas and those two characteristics are amongst their strongest.
Hmm, there could be something in that... Maybe a bit rusty.. No big trip to the North was had this summer. :(

KL.

One of Us
Aug 4, 2005
i like and ski armada TSTs 183cms, about 5yrs now, and they have been my single quiver All Mountain skis since they were released

Reactions: Arne
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Marty McSly

A brick propping up the furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2011
Hunter Valley Whine Country, NSW
Which variant of the Monsters? There are now 3. The 2016 and 2017 are AFAIK the stiffest and burliest. For 2018 they softened the tips to make them more accessible.

The 2019 version is a full redesign and is said to have taken a big step in the direction of Stöckli and Kästle for capability and refinement.

FatBoyDave

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 3, 2013
Melbourne
Which variant of the Monsters? There are now 3. The 2016 and 2017 are AFAIK the stiffest and burliest. For 2018 they softened the tips to make them more accessible.

The 2019 version is a full redesign and is said to have taken a big step in the direction of Stöckli and Kästle for capability and refinement.
Was last years model? ex demo hire skis for sale and was able to give them a demo. Very light, ski with graphene. I’m not 100% if it was 2016 or 2017 model.

DPS Driver

A Local
Jul 18, 2014
New Cassiar range killing it in all the awards overseas.

All new chassis and the Alchemist construction rocks. I love the Cassiar 95. I'm off for a weeks testing next week so can provide some feedback on the other new Cassiars 87 etc.

Joe

Near a silver lining
Jun 29, 2018
Queensland

What I like about them:
- Stiff
- Fast
- Good edge hold

What I don't like:

Rossi experience 88

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass