• No

Votes: 13 26.0%

• Total voters

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
It was suggested I start a poll. So since my other thread was locked. I thought I would start one.

Would also like to say. People kept asking me questions which is why I kept answering.

Not sure why one person was listened too and my thread was locked.

Jun 1, 2017
Sydney
I swear frequently, but I still voted No.

I'm happy with the **** when I wish to use a specific swear word, but if I have the time to type, then I have the time o think of a more eloquent word
It's funny that you can type **** and everyone knows what you mean, but you can't use the actual word.
Clearly it's the typing that's the problem.

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Newcastle
I just removed a couple of filters and put fcuk and effing switcheroos in.

I want the freedom to call Trump a dick and Britney a bitch (that’s the girrl-power, strong, capable, empowered good kind btw).

sometimes.. to have a conversation is to risk offending and/or.. to be offended.

The original list of filters was created when the ski resorts took notice of these forums back in the early 2000’s and it was a purely commercial decision. That time has past.

If you are offended by a post, report it - but also, don’t expect a volunteer rabble of poorly educated squabbling misfits of questionable intelligence and zero guidance — to see the world through your lens. Vote for Pedro.

(Except LMB, she’s smart, educated, elegant and beyond reproach)

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
I was going to post this story in the other thread. By the time I'd typed it, the thread was locked. It's a nice illustration of how what's offensive is hard to pin down.

Many moons ago on on 3RRR, Lawyers, Guns and Money had a segment called Beak of the Week where they recognised something funny, witty or otherwise remarkable said by a judge or magistrate. Someone was up for calling a cop a bloody wombat and a mr plod. The magistrate found that bloody was not offensive but mr plod was.

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth

I want the freedom to call Trump a dick and Britney a bitch (that’s the girrl-power, strong, capable, empowered good kind btw).

sometimes.. to have a conversation is to risk offending and/or.. to be offended.

The original list of filters was created when the ski resorts took notice of these forums back in the early 2000’s and it was a purely commercial decision. That time has past.

If you are offended by a post, report it - but also, don’t expect a volunteer rabble of poorly educated squabbling misfits of questionable intelligence and zero guidance — to see the world through your lens. Vote for Pedro.

Flick off LOL

teckel

"I'm not a cat"
Ski Pass
Oct 16, 2004
Narbethong, Vic
www.mysticmountainsskihire.com.au
The days of getting upset over "swear words" are well and truly over. Something about the bible and using naughty words.
Given that not many people in Australia today give a toss about the bible, why should we?

Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers. Ephesians 4:29.
But fornication, and all uncleanness, or covetousness, let it not be once named among you, as becometh saints;
Neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor jesting, which are not convenient: but rather giving of thanks.

Ephesians 5:3-4.

Reactions: crackson

TOFF

Triple premiership Pants man
Ski Pass
Aug 10, 2004
Wuhan
The days of getting upset over "swear words" are well and truly over. Something about the bible and using naughty words.
Given that not many people in Australia today give a toss about the bible, why should we?

Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers. Ephesians 4:29.
But fornication, and all uncleanness, or covetousness, let it not be once named among you, as becometh saints;
Neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor jesting, which are not convenient: but rather giving of thanks.
Some people get upset over Avatars or even people liking posts.
Its a weird weird world

Doonks

Let's cook!
Ski Pass
Jul 17, 2000
Mulgrave, VICTORIA

Flick off LOL
A little bit of vomit came up into my mouth:puke:

Reactions: crackson

Roymond

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 1, 2018
My mum once told me .."if you cant express yourself without profanity, its a poor sign of your intellect and education".
Oh for christs' sake, mum, #### off says I.
Turns out she could run faster than I thought. I got my mouth washed out.

Jasper Schwarz

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 18, 2017
Northern Beaches, Sydney,
I swear like a trooper, but not in polite company. If I am not exactly sure of my audience I default to polite company.
I am sure there are at least one or two polite people here.
I voted NO.
I agree with this. Time and place to use them here. Before I post anything on here, I ask myself if I would be comfortable saying that in person. If I wouldn't it gets deleted.

Context is also hugely important for swear words. Big difference between including an F word to describe something thats awesome, or using it as an exaggeration etc. and directly calling someone an idiot (with a few more stars in front)

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Newcastle
I agree with this. Time and place to use them here. Before I post anything on here, I ask myself if I would be comfortable saying that in person. If I wouldn't it gets deleted.

Context is also hugely important for swear words. Big difference between including an F word to describe something thats awesome, or using it as an exaggeration etc. and directly calling someone an idiot (with a few more stars in front)
Again, who let you in??

there’s no room here for smart young folk with emotion intelligence and maturity.

sheeesh

teckel

"I'm not a cat"
Ski Pass
Oct 16, 2004
Narbethong, Vic
www.mysticmountainsskihire.com.au
It’s interesting that it’s still ok to suggest that someone is intellectually or psychiatrically disabled.
It’s almost routine to hear someone dismiss another’s views or behaviour as “s/he’s mad”.
Surely that’s a worse insult.
But surely we can call the Agent Orange (aka Trump) mad?

Last edited:

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Newcastle
Is there an option to put the swear filter on the client side, with the default being on? That way those that aren't easily offended can appreciate the full artistry that others have put into their swearing.

it’s an idea to be sure, my limited understanding of coding and sql leads me to think that, whilst all things are possible, some things come with more technical overhead than others.

atm afaik, the filtering is done on the output to post and then cached. Otherwise it would require every post to be dynamic output to user. That’s a shit-ton of processor cycles.

Doonks

Let's cook!
Ski Pass
Jul 17, 2000
Mulgrave, VICTORIA
Hmm. I relied on the swear filter picking up most of what I said. I suspect I will have to moderate my language somewhat.
This.

I always accepted the outcome of the swear filter. If it allowed something, great. If it didn't then that's the way it is. So be it.

But this easing may in fact result in some people actually thinking a tad more before posting, being a tad more aware of the potential effect their post might have on others. Self regulation is and always has been far more effective than imposed boundaries, but not as quick.

Again, the report function exists specifically to highlight a concern to the Mods. Use it.

dawooduck

relaxed and comfortable
Ski Pass
Oct 26, 2002
Mountains

I am constantly bemused by your use of Bible quotes in every conversation.

On substance and consistency over many many years I form the opinion that you are on the payroll of a certain God as his reverse psychology propaganda director.

Don't call me maybe

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass