• No

Votes: 13 26.0%

• Total voters

KylePee

Cage rattler
Ski Pass
Feb 10, 2012
Jumped the wall to Mexico
it’s an idea to be sure, my limited understanding of coding and sql leads me to think that, whilst all things are possible, some things come with more technical overhead than others.

atm afaik, the filtering is done on the output to post and then cached. Otherwise it would require every post to be dynamic output to user. That’s a shit-ton of processor cycles.
The option is already there for people via browser extension. No need to implement on the site

1623717681608.png

1623717702889.png

Reactions: teckel and Richard

teckel

"I'm not a cat"
Ski Pass
Oct 16, 2004
Narbethong, Vic
www.mysticmountainsskihire.com.au
I am constantly bemused by your use of Bible quotes in every conversation.

On substance and consistency over many many years I form the opinion that you are on the payroll of a certain God as his reverse psychology propaganda director.

Don't call me maybe
OK Maybe,
Just call me Archangel. ROFL

MegaMatch

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 3, 2019
where
I swear like a trooper, but not in polite company. If I am not exactly sure of my audience I default to polite company.
I am sure there are at least one or two polite people here.
I voted NO.
That's precisely the reason I voted no here. I was actually surprised by the results lol.

Reactions: cold wombat

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
I just removed a couple of filters and put fcuk and effing switcheroos in.

I want the freedom to call Trump a dick and Britney a bitch (that’s the girrl-power, strong, capable, empowered good kind btw).

sometimes.. to have a conversation is to risk offending and/or.. to be offended.

The original list of filters was created when the ski resorts took notice of these forums back in the early 2000’s and it was a purely commercial decision. That time has past.

If you are offended by a post, report it - but also, don’t expect a volunteer rabble of poorly educated squabbling misfits of questionable intelligence and zero guidance — to see the world through your lens. Vote for Pedro.

(Except LMB, she’s smart, educated, elegant and beyond reproach)
Thanks! Love it :)

TOFF

Triple premiership Pants man
Ski Pass
Aug 10, 2004
Wuhan
Or being shown that they are ignoring someone!
Its the most critical feature on here.
Needs an adjustment prior to swear filter and a few other suggested changed imo

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
it’s an idea to be sure, my limited understanding of coding and sql leads me to think that, whilst all things are possible, some things come with more technical overhead than others.

atm afaik, the filtering is done on the output to post and then cached. Otherwise it would require every post to be dynamic output to user. That’s a shit-ton of processor cycles.
On the other site I the option is there...

The novelty wore off pretty quickly (we moved from a site that didnt allow it.

And we now laugh at us still using work arounds for no reason!

Reactions: Chaeron

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
I just removed a couple of filters and put fcuk and effing switcheroos in.

I want the freedom to call Trump a dick and Britney a bitch (that’s the girrl-power, strong, capable, empowered good kind btw).

sometimes.. to have a conversation is to risk offending and/or.. to be offended.

The original list of filters was created when the ski resorts took notice of these forums back in the early 2000’s and it was a purely commercial decision. That time has past.

If you are offended by a post, report it - but also, don’t expect a volunteer rabble of poorly educated squabbling misfits of questionable intelligence and zero guidance — to see the world through your lens. Vote for Pedro.

(Except LMB, she’s smart, educated, elegant and beyond reproach)
Here you go @was June daily watching

teckel

"I'm not a cat"
Ski Pass
Oct 16, 2004
Narbethong, Vic
Back in depths of time, I had a post deleted and a severe warning for posting a graphic that included the F word. The graphic was totally relevant to the context of the thread, and the word was not particularly prominent. I can't remember what it was even about now. Pleased that the forum has now moved on from that puritan position. :thumbs:

teckel

"I'm not a cat"
Ski Pass
Oct 16, 2004
Narbethong, Vic
A few words offend me ...
#1 is the C word ....seriously wrong on so many levels
#2 is Retard .....and if you need to ask why then you are quite a sad specimen of a human
#3 is Spastic / Downy / Moron ......see above

Racial slurs are also off limits even though technically they are not swear words.
I use the last of that list.
OTOH, while all are offensive words, only the first is what I would call a 'swear' word. You seems to make a distinction between 'offend' & 'off limits', but classify offensive as swear words?

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
A few words offend me ...
#1 is the C word ....seriously wrong on so many levels
#2 is Retard .....and if you need to ask why then you are quite a sad specimen of a human
#3 is Spastic / Downy / Moron ......see above

Racial slurs are also off limits even though technically they are not swear words.
Agree. All more offensive than fcuk.

Doonks

Let's cook!
Ski Pass
Jul 17, 2000
Mulgrave, VICTORIA
What is disrespectful and separately offensive to one, can easily be the opposite to others. Obviously. We all know that.

What is also obvious, is that does not give a blank cheque to anyone.

Hit the report button if you feel genuinely confronted by something. Sometimes, the Mods discuss things to get a consensus, to get further input, to get someone elses opinion. Sometimes we do not. It's an imperfect science, but we do the best we can, and that's the best we've all got.

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
I use the last of that list.
OTOH, while all are offensive words, only the first is what I would call a 'swear' word. You seems to make a distinction between 'offend' & 'off limits', but classify offensive as swear words?
I don't understand the issue with moron.

I thought it was just a generic word for stupid people, not a reference to a disability

cold wombat

Twitter Contributer
Jun 4, 2008
Perth
What is disrespectful and separately offensive to one, can easily be the opposite to others. Obviously. We all know that.

What is also obvious, is that does not give a blank cheque to anyone.

Hit the report button if you feel genuinely confronted by something. Sometimes, the Mods discuss things to get a consensus, to get further input, to get someone elses opinion. Sometimes we do not. It's an imperfect science, but we do the best we can, and that's the best we've all got.

^^ This.

But I'll let you all in on a secret: the mods (& admins) don't just "impose standards" on the forums. As a generalisation, everyone helps set the standards that mods then enforce. If certain behaviours don't get reported, mods tend to let it slide. If certain things do get reported, mods typically get stricter. Everyone gets to play their bit in setting the tone of the forums. But however the moderation is done, you can be sure there will be things modded you think shouldn't have been and things not modded you think should have been. Such is life.

Legs Akimbo

Grumblebum
Ski Pass
Jan 17, 2014
Coastal suburban boonies.
^^ This.

But I'll let you all in on a secret: the mods (& admins) don't just "impose standards" on the forums. As a generalisation, everyone helps set the standards that mods then enforce. If certain behaviours don't get reported, mods tend to let it slide. If certain things do get reported, mods typically get stricter. Everyone gets to play their bit in setting the tone of the forums. But however the moderation is done, you can be sure there will be things modded you think shouldn't have been and things not modded you think should have been. Such is life.
[Mod edit: you asked, you got]

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums