1. Coronavirus #StayHome

Official Advice

- People in Australia must stay at least 1.5 metres away from others and gatherings are limited to two people unless you are with your family or household.
    - If you believe you may have contracted the virus, call your doctor (don’t visit) or contact the national Coronavirus Health Information Hotline on 1800 020 080.
    - If you are struggling to breathe or experiencing a medical emergency, call 000.

Information Resources Mental Health Note: This announcement may be closed & This announcement will be reset every few days.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Should we stay at Bogong Village?

Discussion in 'Falls Creek' started by spunk72, Jul 29, 2014.

1. spunk72

spunk72 Hard Yards

Hi Guys
    Coming up last minute this weekend for three nights (Fri to Sun inc.) to take advantage of this great season. Not much to book at late notice (we are a family of four with two kids) - so thought we might try the Bogong Village. Can anyone provide any feedback on the place?
    Trip advisor gives very mixed reviews. We don't really want to pay the on-mountain prices, and often stay in Mt Beauty and drive up. We thought the Bogong Village might be a good compromise?
    Many thanks

2. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

I've never actually stayed in Bogong Village, but here's my 20c worth anyway

In winter there is little reason to stay there other than to save money. In other seasons it can be lovely in it's own right, or somewhere nice to hang if snow conditions are less than ideal, eg spring school holidays.
    The cafe is supposed to be quite good at the moment. Not sure of its opening hours. But it is all there is, no other options if you want to eat something other than what you brought with you.
    You only save the easiest part of the drive - say 15-20 mins. You still have to load everything up each day and possibly fit chains.
    IMHO Mt Beauty gives you more flexibility, probably better value and not much further to drive

Majikthise and spunk72 like this.
  3. chriscross

chriscross One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Bogong Village is a good compromise, but it is a compromise because you still have to load the car with everything you will need for the day, drive up to the resort entry, queue up behind the day trippers whingeing about the entry fee and asking lots of questions about where to park etc. That said, it's a short drive, the cottages are self contained and half the price of ski in/ ski out accommodation on the hill. It's quite a unique location, with the lake and river nearby, very picturesque with mountain views, forest walks etc. Beats Dinner Plain in that department, IMO. Try it, but take care driving up on Friday. Weather forecast looks serious.

4. Apresski

Apresski Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

spunk72 likes this.
  5. TinkyH23

TinkyH23 Hard Yards

Hi spunk!
    I've stayed 6 or 7 times at Bogong village - in 6 different houses, back in the 80-90s when Bogong Village was owned by the SEC. As an SEC employee my husband would go in a ballot every year for an allocation of accommodation. We never missed out though. The houses were great. Very spacious and whilst very basic they were well appointed with bedding and furniture. But heating varied from woeful to average.
    It's all been improved and upgraded since then. And they look nice on the photos provided by the booking page.
    And I think they got rid of the houses with major problems, (ie we shared one with friends in the early 80's that wasn't level. One end of the house was about 30 degrees lower than the other.

Our group stayed in Mt Beauty over the recent weekend and we were discussing the pros and cons of getting accommodation at Bogong.
    Yes you are 15 minutes closer for the drive up the mountain. And that is a big plus. Especially with kids.
    But, you still have to pack the same amount of stuff into the car for the day.
    You still don't have the luxury of ski in-ski out, for meals/snacks/rest breaks/CBFs. And that is a big negative. Especially with kids.
    You have lost the options for shopping/eating out that Mt Beauty provides.

spunk72 likes this.
  6. spunk72

spunk72 Hard Yards

Thanks guys, I would prefer the cottage to a motel room, but yes, options are few Apresski....hope it's not a reflection on how bad the Village is! We always bring our own food, so that not a problem, we wouldn't eat out in Mt Beauty anyway. Have chains, fitting them not an issue. Can you buy day car entry passes elsewhere so we can skip the car queue? Will get all ski hire off mountain so will have it all ready to go. Kids are 7 & 10, so pretty good to go all day now. I think there is a change rooms etc in the newish building with supermarket in it? Can anyone advise? Bad luck Tinky about your leg... hope it heals quickly :)

7. Hully

Hully One of Us

You can get resort entry at I think all of the off mountain ski hires in Mt Beauty. Think that you can also get them at Ray's. If travelling up Friday night keep in mind that you cannot get fuel in Mt Beauty after 7pm (and no fuel at Bogong or Falls Creek)....particularly important if you drive a diesel. Best to fill the car in Myrtleford if travelling from Melbourne.

Quite a palatial public day area in the St Falls complex on the middle level in the West Building.

spunk72 likes this.
  8. spunk72

spunk72 Hard Yards

Thanks Hully for the reminder about the petrol. Time to see how the new Skoda wagon goes in the snow (heated seats will get a workout!) It may be quite late by time we make it too Mt Beauty. Thinking about all the organsiation makes me sweat... but it will all be worth it! I stumbled on the day area by accident last time I was up (2012) and was impressed... good to see FC getting their act together. I recall having to change the little one on a toilet floor in desperation one year!

9. Hully

Hully One of Us

Expect it to be busy this weekend, snow forecast for the end of week and sunny Saturday. Weekend and day visitation has been strong the past few weeks (the one segment of the market that is growing). Plan to be organised and head off as early as possible as day parking is a premium. Take advantage of the fact that you will have a 15-20min headstart on the crowds being at Bogong.

10. spunk72

spunk72 Hard Yards

Ahh. Good point. Hully, what time do you think we should aim to be arriving to get day car park? Would 8am be too late?

11. Hully

Hully One of Us

8am should be fine. I was up at 9ish last Sunday and the Gully carpark was 1/2 full, Upper Slalom (opposite St Falls) was full, I think Windy still had parks....I have to park in staff allocated area so didn't go around that far.

spunk72 likes this.
  12. Hully

Hully One of Us

Don't know if they do, but if your kids are prone to car sickness consider bare minimum to eat before you leave and have a 'portable' breakfast to load them with when you arrive. Mum and Dad can get themselves a good and quick coffee (and tasty egg & bacon roll if desired) from The Pass to enjoy prior to loading lifts. Getting the car parked and having plenty of time to get ready and load lifts is a lot less stressful.

Ziggy and spunk72 like this.
  13. snowduck

snowduck One of Us

I'd like a dollar for every time I've heard a tourist pronounce the name "Mount Bog - ong"

14. spunk72

spunk72 Hard Yards

Not Mt Bogan? Like those Bogan Moths?

15. snowduck

snowduck One of Us

Yeah, also heard "Mount Bogan";)

16. currawong

spunk72 likes this.
  17. Ziggy

Ziggy A Local Ski Pass: Gold

As an aside the Maryborough (Qld) council was recently debating changing the street name Bogan St to Bogan Way.

That would really help.

spunk72 likes this.
  18. spunk72

spunk72 Hard Yards

Bogan Way, has a nice ring to it! Thanks Currawong for the motel recommend... now seems we will be staying in Mt Beauty and driving up (even cottages at Bogong Village rather exxy!). Cannot wait! You won't miss me I am well over 6ft, and have gold coloured ski pants and bright green kermit colour gloves..... and a black helmet with lots of stickers.... say Hi if you spot me, and my hubby (dark side boarder) - kids should be at ski school I hope!

19. spunk72

spunk72 Hard Yards

Have to say that it is very frustrating to have to go the the new e-store to book kids snow school online, then eventually find the resort entry online purchase hidden away somewhere else on the falls creek website (not the e-store) where you have to create another account to purchase ...only to find that it is of little advantage to pre-purchase there as you still have to print out the receipt and stop at Howman's Gap to show them for them to print off the ticket..... I just want to avoid the queue!

20. currawong

resort entry is not charged by the lift co, but by the government entity Resort Management.

There is much talk of working more closely and hopefully having a single web-site but I think we are a long way from integrated purchasing of resort entry and lift co services.

Agree that it is stupid making you stop at Howmans if you have bought online.

21. spunk72

spunk72 Hard Yards

bit of a vent... i know it's hard co-ordinating resort mgmt and lift co.... Currawong, other thing is if you know, I want to take advantage of the mums ski free deal thing - but for the life of me cannot see any instructions on how you book that? I tried to call snowsport school today but couldn't get through. I assume you must have to book and pay for a normal $65 adult lesson then the lift pass gets added for free ...back to the e-store I go!

22. currawong

sorry, I'm not sure how you actually buy the mum's package. It's poor that you couldn't get through to them today.
    My guess is that you organise it when you drop off child to ski school. I'd be careful about buying a normal lesson online in case the system can't easily convert it to the coffee club lesson.

23. Hully

Hully One of Us

With windhold today they would have been working from temporary office (snowsports office at the top of FEX) and they may not have had adequate phone diversion....also would have been fielding heaps of enquiries about refunds and private reschedules. Possibly same windhold situation tomorrow, I would call general reception on 57581000 to get through to someone who can help.

Ziggy likes this.
  24. spunk72

spunk72 Hard Yards

yea.. you are right, I tried putting lessons and/or liftpasses in the cart, but it didn't convert so I cancelled. Hully, I tried that number too, went straight to voicemail - I guess they were really busy today. I am not just having a whinge, I am hoping that FC marketing may see my comments so they can improve the communications on the website by putting information in more obvious places so it easier to find the online resort entry purchase links (why not put a link to resort entry purchase thru from the e-store?) and also some info about how to acess the Mums coffee club lessons etc.... it's a great intiative but a bit hard to work out what to do to get it online. In an ideal world, I would just book all of this online in a few minutes. At the moment it's a bit hard and all over the place, but kudos to FC for having a go ....

25. Ziggy

Ziggy A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Here's my gripe with FCRM: I was told by email weeks ago that to swap the season permit to a different car all that was needed was to scrape it off the window and bring it to the office with $25 for the issue of a new sticker. Wrong. Office staff this morning said proof of ownership of the new vehicle was required. Why? Because a mate might have used it on his car and decided he'd had enough and to give it to me. The fact that the sticker had never been used and was still fixed to the letter addressed to me made no difference. They offered the option of a stat dec as my rego papers are back home. I waited half an hour to get one witnessed. They were very polite and apologetic.

My problem wasn't as bad as the poor bloke who'd flown with Qantas who managed to lose his bag with all the key stuff in it.

And what's with the snow clearing?! It was crazy on the road today.

26. spunk72

spunk72 Hard Yards

Oh and by the way, we didn't end up staying at Bogong Village. Too exxy IMHO. We stayed at Mt Beauty in Snowview Units, excellent value, basic but self contained, and had everything we needed.