Show us your skis!!!

Spence

One of Us
Ski Pass
Mar 16, 2019
Sydney
IMG_20210224_142730.jpg

Might be a little excited. Bumps had these on sale. Wanted them last year, glad i didn't purchase them last year because I didn't get to ski.
Took them to the parentals to show them. They didn't understand my excitement.
I like Moment skis. Great customer service when you deal with them direct. And free international shipping. I got a pair of Wildcats. Nice Japan ski. Enjoy.

teleroo

<\unencrypted>
Ski Pass
Jun 19, 2019
Illawarra
Moment Sierras. :D
Same width underfoot (99mm) as the J skis Allplays I got for my daughter. How would you describe the flex? Softy or stiffy? Just interested because J skis were plugging the Allplays as an all mountain ski, but is quite soft compared to what I am used to.

Seems the "all mountain" skis are heading towards 99 underfoot. I'll be interested to see how my daughter goes on such a "wide" ski in Aus. I ski 96 underfoot, generally happy with that.

Byron

Addicted
Mar 23, 2014
I like Moment skis. Great customer service when you deal with them direct. And free international shipping. I got a pair of Wildcats. Nice Japan ski. Enjoy.
Awesome skis! What did they cost you landed?

Spence

One of Us
Ski Pass
Mar 16, 2019
Sydney
I want to say around $899 ish. I think there was a sale on and they had sold out the sale model with the previous graphic, but they were happy to sell me the new model at the sale price. Something like that anyway. I bought them about a year and a half ago. Shipping was free. Selling direct to the public is their business model so their sales team are super friendly.

Reactions: Snowy Joey

Snowy Joey

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 14, 2014
Dandenong ranges Vic
Same width underfoot (99mm) as the J skis Allplays I got for my daughter. How would you describe the flex? Softy or stiffy? Just interested because J skis were plugging the Allplays as an all mountain ski, but is quite soft compared to what I am used to.

Seems the "all mountain" skis are heading towards 99 underfoot. I'll be interested to see how my daughter goes on such a "wide" ski in Aus. I ski 96 underfoot, generally happy with that.
This lenght have a 95mm waist.
Fairly stiff underfoot with good flex in the tip and tails.
Triple camber twin tips, going to be fun!

Reactions: teleroo

Chowder11

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 21, 2003
Elwood
IMG_20210224_142730.jpg

Might be a little excited. Bumps had these on sale. Wanted them last year, glad i didn't purchase them last year because I didn't get to ski.
Took them to the parentals to show them. They didn't understand my excitement.
Nice, love my moments.
You’ll love them, they look good, but shit do they ski well also

Stick

Addicted
Apr 11, 2016
J skis wanted $200 to ship to Oz :confused:

Are J Skis any good.. I won a pair a couple of years ago and as a snowboarder they have never left the plastic they came in.. I plan to learn to Ski sometime in the near future, but not sure if the skis will suit me.

teleroo

<\unencrypted>
Ski Pass
Jun 19, 2019
Illawarra
Are J Skis any good.. I won a pair a couple of years ago and as a snowboarder they have never left the plastic they came in.. I plan to learn to Ski sometime in the near future, but not sure if the skis will suit me.
Well made by dedicated skiers going by internet gumpf, but not yet skied in our case. I'd say none of these small indie brands can afford to churn out crap product. Most "decent" skis would be pretty "decent" these days.

What model ski did you win and what dimensions? Asking because a lot of the J skis are fattish powder skis, maybe not the best for learning??

Stick

Addicted
Apr 11, 2016
Well made by dedicated skiers going by internet gumpf, but not yet skied in our case. I'd say none of these small indie brands can afford to churn out crap product. Most "decent" skis would be pretty "decent" these days.

What model ski did you win and what dimensions? Asking because a lot of the J skis are fattish powder skis, maybe not the best for learning??

I won these ones

https://jskis.com/products/straya?variant=712799597

So thankfully nothing too outlandish.. My plan was to either hire a pair or borrow some skis off a mate. I dont think turning up to a lesson with these on my feet would be a good look (all the gear no idea as my wife would say)

Reactions: Spence

teleroo

<\unencrypted>
Ski Pass
Jun 19, 2019
Illawarra
I won these ones

https://jskis.com/products/straya?variant=712799597

So thankfully nothing too outlandish.. My plan was to either hire a pair or borrow some skis off a mate. I dont think turning up to a lesson with these on my feet would be a good look (all the gear no idea as my wife would say)
Just stick a set of 22Designs Vice Telemark bindings on an you'll be good to go :D.

But seriously, at 90 mm underfoot they'd be 100% fine on the groomers (which is what you'll ski as a beginner, or even regular Oz skier) as a learning or for an experienced skier I'd expect. Score for you. Go for it I'd say. Mount em up and own em :thumbs:!

Spence

One of Us
Ski Pass
Mar 16, 2019
Sydney
Be about right.
I recently was looking at a new pair of moments and the shipping was $170. Ontop of the USD they were going to be about $1200 before GST. Owch
Was that buying direct from the Moment website? When I bought mine, shipping was free. This did surprise me and definitely helped seal the deal.

Reactions: Chowder11

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
Be about right.
I recently was looking at a new pair of moments and the shipping was $170. Ontop of the USD they were going to be about $1200 before GST. Owch

I was seriously pumped to buy this board for my son when I saw it on sale on the Signal website last year: http://www.agnarchy.com/2020-signal-yup-kids-snowboard-review/

The board would have been around $US120-140 - but shipping was $US150.

I eventually decided against grabbing it, mainly because kiddo was only 4 at the time, an unlikely to ride it until he is 7 at least.

Reactions: Chowder11

Chowder11

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 21, 2003
Elwood
Okay. Good to know that they are charging for shipping now.
Might have had to change that as international shipping has been a balls in COVID, if they are offering free and its costing them $100 thats eating into profits

Reactions: Spence

chriscross

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2005
The Foothills
Vice doesn't tour, I believe. In resort tele. Sorry, pedantic. Axls for touring. I have some on Voile Vectors. Still love 'em. But keen to sample dps cassiars for alpine in resort this year.

almontyrat

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 16, 2005
Wesley Vale, Tasmania
Vice doesn't tour, I believe. In resort tele. Sorry, pedantic. Axls for touring. I have some on Voile Vectors. Still love 'em. But keen to sample dps cassiars for alpine in resort this year.
All telemark bindings tour as your heel is free so you can propel yourself forwards and uphill (with skins or fishscales etc). They do hot have a free pivot "Tour" mode (like the axls), it is true, but then neither does a G3 Targa or many other 75mm bindings. More energy is required to tour in a non free pivot binding but they most certainly will "tour" quite effectively.

teleroo

<\unencrypted>
Ski Pass
Jun 19, 2019
Illawarra
Yeh the big ski store in Cooma that hires a lot of tele touring gear has Vice's on their "touring" skis. Reason being rental punters were downhillling (either inadvertently or whatever) using tour/pivot mode and busting the bindings. Vices = KISS.

Reactions: almontyrat

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
Pro tip on many 75 non pivot, flip the heel piece, and step in, gives a much looser fit, so less tension, easier for climbing. But please reflip before a run!

Though the experience of taking off down Elevator still in tour, cuffs unlocked, and climbing bails still up is something everyone should try. Better yet, Ive done it with one set for down, and the above on the other, really off putting!

almontyrat

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 16, 2005
Wesley Vale, Tasmania
Yeh the big ski store in Cooma that hires a lot of tele touring gear has Vice's on their "touring" skis. Reason being rental punters were downhillling (either inadvertently or whatever) using tour/pivot mode and busting the bindings. Vices = KISS.
While I have bindings with a free pivot mode, I have never toured in them that way as I find the forward pivot point very disconcerting. Tele boots flex at the bal and so do my feet so I find that a much more "natural" action than tiptoeing up in tour mode.

chriscross

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2005
The Foothills
All telemark bindings tour as your heel is free so you can propel yourself forwards and uphill (with skins or fishscales etc). They do hot have a free pivot "Tour" mode (like the axls), it is true, but then neither does a G3 Targa or many other 75mm bindings. More energy is required to tour in a non free pivot binding but they most certainly will "tour" quite effectively.
So, I have been told. But still can't quite understand why 22D would make 2 distinctive bindings if they both toured ok? Does not compute for me. Or would have bought Vice (also cheaper). A pair for sale in gear swap atm.

Reactions: stridercdh

stridercdh

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 15, 2011
Canberra
So, I have been told. But still can't quite understand why 22D would make 2 distinctive bindings if they both toured ok? Does not compute for me. Or would have bought Vice (also cheaper). A pair for sale in gear swap atm.
The Vice bindings do tour reasonably well. As mentioned above they provide a better feel for kick and glide as opposed to a free pivot.

teleroo

<\unencrypted>
Ski Pass
Jun 19, 2019
Illawarra
Probably when going up super steep ie. skins plus climbing bails, pivot makes a difference, but less so for trundling around. But Vice is lighter, simpler and cheaper too.

Reactions: almontyrat

almontyrat

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 16, 2005
Wesley Vale, Tasmania
Probably when going up super steep ie. skins plus climbing bails, pivot makes a difference, but less so for trundling around. But Vice is lighter, simpler and cheaper too.
I think that it in a nut shell... For good old Victorian undulating terrain ie most of Stirling, Falls Creek and Hotham trails, a non free pivot binding is fine (ie vice, G3 targa Chilli's BD's etc). If however you are yoyoing the steeps Like Stanley Bowl, Mt Mckay, the Razorback out to Feather top, then the weight (and cost) penalty of a free pivot (Axl, Bulldog, Switchback G3 Targa ascent etc) is probably worth it for the steep up hill.

stridercdh

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 15, 2011
Canberra
Quiver.JPG

My quiver this season. Newly acquired BD Route 95's (old model) with 22D Axls; new Madshus Eon 62's with Voile 3-pin HD and my trusty old Madhsus Annums newly mounted with Voile 3-pin Hardwires. Bring on winter already! (And hope it's a good one...)

stridercdh

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 15, 2011
Canberra
I cant go back, but the Vice was probably the pinnacle for 75.
Yup, I do love my Vice and Axl. Switched around my bindings this year for greater versatility. Just in case the lift prices are ridiculously high this year or day passes aren't being offered due to COVID-19; plus looking to explore more outside the resort boundary with a bit of touring and XCD.

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
Yeah, sorry I meant Axl, the tour puts them above the vice. Same binder aside from that. Ill probably end up on the Outlaws, as my Freedoms are about cactus. If I find some skis I like, and have the money.

Otherwise Ill be rebirthing some old skis, and seeing if that bit that fell off the Freedoms is actually required or not (skied them once since and didn't die)

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
I cant go back, but the Vice was probably the pinnacle for 75.

Maybe? I can’t really tour in my TX Pros? To tall and stiff - a lighter binding won’t change this.

But when ‘light n low’ NTN boots arrive - watch the burn outs up my street to the XC shop!

Reactions: stridercdh

stridercdh

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 15, 2011
Canberra
Just googled, its the TX. Then comes the TX Pro, then the TX Comp.
Out of curiosity, does Scott make anything similar to the Scarpa NTN lineup? I've never been able to fit Scarpa boots properly. Went with Garmont Syner-G's which seem to fit much better (I have wide feet with high arches), which are still good as new.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass