1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

News Sidas 3D Scanning & Boot Fitting @ aussieskier

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by CarveMan, Jul 10, 2019.

1. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

So a couple of years ago I got fitted for some new golf clubs using a Trackman device. Essentially it's a box that has a couple of radars and cameras and measures a bunch of parameters about how your club comes through to impact the ball and how the ball reacts. A qualified fitter can then tailor your clubs to maximise distance and accuracy, and it bloody worked. Most of all it gave me confidence that the bloke wasn't just trying to get me in to the clubs he had 50 sets of gathering dust out the back. I was sitting there thinking 'where is this for skiing?'.

Fast forward to last October at the trade show in Canberra where Sidas showed off their Feetbox 3D scanner.

The gist of it is that it 3D scans your feet / lower legs to give a super accurate measurement, but the real special sauce is that their partner corpus.e also 3D scans the insides of all the major boot brands on the market (except Full Tilt) and the software comes up with recommendations for best fitting boots, and also anticipates the pressure points inside the boots.

https://aussieskier.com/pages/ski-boot-fitting

I was blown away when it recommended my current boot at the top of the list - Tecnica Cochise 130 but also near the top were boots that I had successfully used like the Tecnica Mach 1 MV and also the Nordica Speedmachine, but what really got me was it showed that I have some width on the outside of my right heel and that's where I would potentially need some boot work. That's my main pressure spot in new boots, in the Nordicas I've needed it blown out but with the Tecnicas it settled down as the liners broke in.

Anyway I was sold and we ordered a machine. Our one isn't quite here yet but we've got the demo model in the store until it arrives and have been using it quietly for the last couple of weeks and are pretty much blown away by what it has to offer and decided it's ready for prime-time. We've been putting all our bootfit customers on it and it has really assisted with the process - the boots it is recommending are right in the ballpark of what the bootfitters would have selected and gives our customers good confidence in the process.

Naturally it doesn't replace a bootfitter but it's like a more accurate set of eyes. In some cases the bootfitter will override the suggestions, ie if someone has a very narrow heel but a wide forefoot we might elect to go for a narrower boot and stretch it for width, and stuff like that.

But it feels like a new era for bootfitting and we're stoked to be the only shop in Australia with this technology!

Zeroz, currawong, Seth and 11 others like this.
  2. mx_boarder

mx_boarder Habitual line stepper Ski Pass: Gold

This is a really impressive bit of kit.

Had a good play while down at the shop getting my new skis sorted. Adds some science/objectivity to the fitting equation, and it was so interesting to see exactly what was going on with my feet via the 3D scans. Certainly doesn't replace a skilled boot fitter - in fact I think only a solid fitter could extract the full benefit from it. Very cool.

3. CarveMan

Yeah it’s kinda like X Ray vision for a bootfitter, and there will be a few cases with particularly funky feet where a bootfitter will override the recommendation especially where customisation is involved.

But every day we use it we get more confident in the recommendations and note the super positive customer feedback.

4. CarveMan

5. CarveMan

3D Scanner finally being used for my own benefit!

As you can see from the data and the simulated try-on, I've got a wide right heel, something that no bootfitter has ever picked up on, plus even though it rates my insteps as low, I've found over the years they're more forward than other people, and while there's no red hotspot on the graph, we're finding that an absence of blue in the instep area can be troublesome.

So excuse the pics of my feet and hairy legs but we used this data to pre-emptively pad out my anticipated hot spots prior to heat moulding my brand new touring boots! Proof will be in the skiing of course but they feel good in the shop!

Attached Files: