Silver Brumby share for sale

Discussion in 'Thredbo' started by Tracy, Jan 9, 2019.

1. sastrugi

sastrugi Part of the Furniture
    Ski Pass: Gold

Do these prices include breakfast and dinner? Do Emma and Nick have a night off (like for instance Attunga managers) and if they do is self catering allowed (such as Roslyn Lodge)?

2. Mr. Mook

Mr. Mook One of Us

Trying to understand how lodge membership is value for money.
    The share cost alone is more than the total amount I have spent on snow holidays for my family in my entire life.
    After that you still have to pay fees & accommodation.
    you still have to buy lunches, travel Then there are restrictions when you get to stay etc.
    I get that it is "on snow" as opposed to staying in Jindabyne but still - $35k is how much my car cost to buy.

Call_me_Ishmael likes this.
  3. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room

Yes but your car will depreciate down to zero. Don't know the mechanics of the lodge ownership marketplace, but I would imagine that of course the value can fluctuate but you should be able to sell out for something approaching what you paid for it, if not more.

zac150 and climberman like this.
  4. telecrag

telecrag Old n' Crusty

I wonder what sort of sinking funds etc they have with lodges. Be a bit sad to buy in, then get hit for say $20K to do something to the building. Does happen, though if its known its disclosed obviously (and may effect share value).

All seems to work, I have many friends in different lodges, and they are all happy with it.

zac150 likes this.
  5. cornice11

cornice11 Hard Yards

Gives certainty about price per bed per night - some weekends last season i was paying lodge rates while jindy accom wanted $500+ per night.

zac150 and skifree like this.
  6. Tracy

Tracy Guest

Yes. Gorgeous breakfasts - cereals and fruit and then always a cooked breakfast. Dinner is three courses and Nik and Emma are great cooks. When they have a night off, the other staff cook so self catering is not allowed during the peak Winter months. It is during the Summer months when catering isn't offered - catering is offered at Christmas, for example.

sastrugi likes this.
  7. Tracy

Tracy Guest

We've been members for about 13 years and never had to put into a sinking fund. You could ask the lodge if this ever happens.

8. zac150

zac150 One of Us

I know our lodge has a sinking fund which has been built up through surplus income over the years and I would imagine most are the same, just check the financials.

I believe silver brumby is very well run but there are some that aren’t, a few in Jindy are struggling having taken out bank loans. My lodge in Jindy / smiggins is doing a substantial overhaul of smiggins which we were all asked to contribute to, a few hundred each year over a couple of years and the club was very honest in disclosing this.

As a member of a Jindy lodge I pay $250 for a weekend accommodation (cheaper than the cleaning fee on my Thredbo unit), the same family room is let at $300+ a night to non members.

sastrugi likes this.
  9. sastrugi

$85 a night including breakfast and 3-course dinner is great value. As mentioned in other threads you're lucky to get out of a restaurant for $85 per head....

zac150 likes this.
  10. linked_recoveries

linked_recoveries One of Us

Hell, depending on your level of commitment it's often hard to get out of lunch for less than $85 a head.

zac150, Annabuzzy, qwill and 3 others like this.
  11. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty

Not all lodges cost that much to buy into either. My lodge at falls is $4k debenture (resellable) plus $2.7k joining fee. I expect that is about Thredbo vs Falls property prices in general.
    In the 12 years i have been a member, there was a $2k call on members to do the renovations necessary to secure a 50 year lease renewal. Members were given an option to pay installments over several years. Those who did not want to contribute were able to sell their debentures within a few years.
    I've had very good value staying there.
    You really have to look at each lodge on it's own merits and how it matches what you are looking for.

POW_hungry, zac150 and Ted Harper like this.
  12. Mr. Mook

Mr. Mook One of Us

I use my car every day and for getting to many different activities from work to shopping to fishing to snowboarding.
    Lodge membership can be used for one thing only during winter and I can't see any advantage to spending $35K on it.

13. sastrugi

I agree the $35K for a family membership (that can be sold on at market value to anyone - no need for nominations and interviews by current members and board) seems steep BUT lodges are so much more than 'only one thing during winter'. If you're a ski family, or a mountain family you get so much value out of a membership. We have ski families in our lodge who make sure the people their kids are marrying are proper skiers so they can join in on the family holidays - skiing is life for some people and a membership to a lodge is a lot cheaper than buying an apartment in the resort. It comes down to personal value... and the lodges are valuable to many.

Telemark Phat, currawong and zac150 like this.
  14. skifree

skifree Part of the Furniture
    Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Lodges grew out of demand for accommodation and an alternative to a hotel. And are a very important part of the accommodation system across Oz resorts.

But we digress off the topic. Start a new a new thread if you feel the need to discuss accommodation options.

15. Piste Again

Piste Again Part of the Furniture

I paid $12k for my Currawong membership back in about 2004. It costs $500/year in annual subs most years though there was a call for $1000 for some renovations last year.

But then the savings kick in. M12 and I are staying for a week in the July hols for $595. It cost me, +1 and M12 a grand total of $315 for closing weekend (3 nights) last year. Compared to the cost of commercial accommodation, the return on investment of that $12k is pretty damn good, especially as it's worth more like $17k now.

These are trips to the snow that we'd have done anyway, so there's a genuine saving.

Yes it's shared showers and toilets, but even when it's busy there's rarely a queue. The rooms are small but comfortable, and the lounge areas are large and well set up. It's a self-catered lodge (great kitchen) so we save heaps on not eating out much, and we're not paying Thredbodollars for our booze either. The shares are saleable and there's a slow but healthy turnover.

If you don't use it once a year on average then a lodge membership is probably not a good option financially, nor is it good for the lodge as they have to work harder for public bookings. But if you expect to use it once or more then I think financially it works out well, plus you get the added bonus of making new friends with the other members that you'll keep crossing paths with.

Interesting that the ability to ski is a prerequisite for admission to a family LOL. F20 and boyfriend have plans to come to France for a holiday and do some skiing next January while +1, M12 and I are there with some friends. She is quite a good skier, does laps on double black bump runs kinda good. Boyfriend has had a weekend on skis a few years ago. It will make for some interesting times!

Ted Harper, sastrugi and zac150 like this.
  16. sastrugi

Plus you get the added bonus of Lizard and Sarah :D

We're paying our subs this year ($195 each) but staying in a house with friends up in the F'Ridge. Just the way it's working out this year. Still worth our $$ to pay the subs and not use the lodge for one year because we get so much value out of it on an ongoing basis. And with so many of us in different rooms in the house the cost is cheap and it will be nice for a change. I'll miss staying on the Village side of the river though, it's always cold on the west side of the river wherever you stay.

17. Tracy

Tracy Guest

Hi everyone, the membership has now sold. It was very close to the asking price.
    Have fun on the slopes.

currawong, zac150 and climberman like this.
  18. Piste Again

Piste Again Part of the Furniture

Can't argue with that! :thumbs:

sastrugi likes this.
  19. Richard

Richard Maintenance Dept
    Administrator

Best view in Thredbo bar none from the lovely large deck. I lived in Lantern (2nd best view, by a smidgeon) and spent 3 months summer caretaking at Silver Brumby 92/93. It's a great lodge, one of the earliest in Thredbo dating back to early 1960's possibly even '59.

An old school friend took a share in early 90's for $20k - it was never about the investment and in real terms has gone backwards. But he still holds the share twenty five years later with zero regrets.

20. sastrugi

Aw, that's the one year we weren't in Thredbo before we moved there permanently, otherwise I might have known you a whole lot better! (we moved back Easter '93). You were filling in for Sonia and Tony?

21. Richard

Richard Maintenance Dept
    Administrator

Yes, back then it was no guests. I think it was Jan thru Mar before reopening for Easter in April now that I think about it. Just an empty lodge to keep the moths out of.

93 Season I was working TAH and lived in one of the Karoonda apartments with 5 others. Left Thredbo Nov 93.

sastrugi likes this.