Silver Brumby share for sale

Discussion in 'Thredbo' started by Tracy, Jan 9, 2019.

1. sastrugi

sastrugi Part of the Furniture
    Ski Pass: Gold

Do these prices include breakfast and dinner? Do Emma and Nick have a night off (like for instance Attunga managers) and if they do is self catering allowed (such as Roslyn Lodge)?

2. Mr. Mook

Mr. Mook One of Us

Trying to understand how lodge membership is value for money.
    The share cost alone is more than the total amount I have spent on snow holidays for my family in my entire life.
    After that you still have to pay fees & accommodation.
    you still have to buy lunches, travel Then there are restrictions when you get to stay etc.
    I get that it is "on snow" as opposed to staying in Jindabyne but still - $35k is how much my car cost to buy.

3. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room

Yes but your car will depreciate down to zero. Don't know the mechanics of the lodge ownership marketplace, but I would imagine that of course the value can fluctuate but you should be able to sell out for something approaching what you paid for it, if not more.

zac150 and climberman like this.
  4. telecrag

telecrag Old n' Crusty

I wonder what sort of sinking funds etc they have with lodges. Be a bit sad to buy in, then get hit for say $20K to do something to the building. Does happen, though if its known its disclosed obviously (and may effect share value).

All seems to work, I have many friends in different lodges, and they are all happy with it.

zac150 likes this.
  5. cornice11

cornice11 Hard Yards

Gives certainty about price per bed per night - some weekends last season i was paying lodge rates while jindy accom wanted $500+ per night.

zac150 and skifree like this.
  6. Tracy

Tracy First Runs

Yes. Gorgeous breakfasts - cereals and fruit and then always a cooked breakfast. Dinner is three courses and Nik and Emma are great cooks. When they have a night off, the other staff cook so self catering is not allowed during the peak Winter months. It is during the Summer months when catering isn't offered - catering is offered at Christmas, for example.

sastrugi likes this.
  7. Tracy

Tracy First Runs

We've been members for about 13 years and never had to put into a sinking fund. You could ask the lodge if this ever happens.

8. zac150

zac150 One of Us

I know our lodge has a sinking fund which has been built up through surplus income over the years and I would imagine most are the same, just check the financials.

I believe silver brumby is very well run but there are some that aren’t, a few in Jindy are struggling having taken out bank loans. My lodge in Jindy / smiggins is doing a substantial overhaul of smiggins which we were all asked to contribute to, a few hundred each year over a couple of years and the club was very honest in disclosing this.

As a member of a Jindy lodge I pay $250 for a weekend accommodation (cheaper than the cleaning fee on my Thredbo unit), the same family room is let at $300+ a night to non members.

sastrugi likes this.
  9. sastrugi

$85 a night including breakfast and 3-course dinner is great value. As mentioned in other threads you're lucky to get out of a restaurant for $85 per head....

zac150 likes this.
  10. linked_recoveries

Hell, depending on your level of commitment it's often hard to get out of lunch for less than $85 a head.

zac150, Annabuzzy, qwill and 3 others like this.
  11. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty

Not all lodges cost that much to buy into either. My lodge at falls is $4k debenture (resellable) plus $2.7k joining fee. I expect that is about Thredbo vs Falls property prices in general.
    In the 12 years i have been a member, there was a $2k call on members to do the renovations necessary to secure a 50 year lease renewal. Members were given an option to pay installments over several years. Those who did not want to contribute were able to sell their debentures within a few years.
    I've had very good value staying there.
    You really have to look at each lodge on it's own merits and how it matches what you are looking for.

zac150 and Ted Harper like this.
  12. Mr. Mook

Mr. Mook One of Us

I use my car every day and for getting to many different activities from work to shopping to fishing to snowboarding.
    Lodge membership can be used for one thing only during winter and I can't see any advantage to spending $35K on it.

13. sastrugi

I agree the $35K for a family membership (that can be sold on at market value to anyone - no need for nominations and interviews by current members and board) seems steep BUT lodges are so much more than 'only one thing during winter'. If you're a ski family, or a mountain family you get so much value out of a membership. We have ski families in our lodge who make sure the people their kids are marrying are proper skiers so they can join in on the family holidays - skiing is life for some people and a membership to a lodge is a lot cheaper than buying an apartment in the resort. It comes down to personal value... and the lodges are valuable to many.

Telemark Phat, currawong and zac150 like this.
  14. skifree

skifree Part of the Furniture
    Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Lodges grew out of demand for accommodation and an alternative to a hotel. And are a very important part of the accommodation system across Oz resorts.

But we digress off the topic. Start a new a new thread if you feel the need to discuss accommodation options.