1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Silver Star 2018 - 2019

Discussion in 'Canada' started by BilbyBill, Apr 26, 2018.

1. Crystal

Crystal Sand skier extraordinaire Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

OMG, +1 did exactly that also in same spot..... back in the day when he was still on 2 sticks.

2. sly_karma

sly_karma Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Even though it has the same slope profile as the other runs around it, I always liked Three Wise Men best of that group of four or five steep bump lines off Aunt Gladys because it's the most direct and longest quality vert. Other favourites are the glades skiers right off Sunny Ridge, they have named lines these days but best to thread the trees between these for less traffic and better snow. Doognog is another good long bump line on the Putnam side, best entered from directly above via light glades for the straightest fall line and less tracked snow.

Anthem1 likes this.
  3. Crystal

^^... do not follow Sly at Silverstar.... without clean undies to change into

Anthem1 and Marty_McSly like this.
  4. Anthem1

Anthem1 Addicted

Awesome. Thanks. I stayed away from the back side today. Having way too much fun in Robin hood trees, then after that was tracked out onto upper deer park and Trinity trees. Will def check them all out next few weeks. Crazy line ups backside today apparently.

KneeDeep likes this.
  5. Anthem1

Anthem1 Addicted

Thanks Sly. Yeah they look great. Three wise and Doognog are still closed atm but looking forward to when they are open.

6. KneeDeep

KneeDeep One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Three Wise better to go skiers left and stay high in the trees, there is a track on the left just before you reach the main bowl, go up that 15mts and dive in.

sly_karma likes this.
  7. KneeDeep

Crowds will be gone in another week.

8. Anthem1

Anthem1 Addicted

Going for some lessons next week while the mountain is busy. Had a fair bit of wind last night with the 10cm of new snow. Tree runs not so nice today but the wind blown snow has really filled in those creek beds and such nicely. Pick of the day today was lee side of the trees in the Dippers (for powder) and anything groomed for working on that technique...... Very nice skiing top to bottom..... :thumbs::)

sly_karma, KneeDeep and Pademelon like this.
  9. Cookthebooks

Cookthebooks Hard Yards

Hi Anthem, if you want the hot tip on where to ski on the next good fall of snow I would suggest the face off sunny ridge looking back to Caliper ridge. I usually found great snow skiers left past the raven sign. This whole area is a goldmine of steep tree skiing. Another favourite of mine was the pipeline. As for Alder point, I would ride it early season often before patrol had opened the area. It's only worth the walk if it has snowed overnight or hard during the day. Don't stress on doing it alone, it's a beautiful walk and even better ride down to the cat track.

I miss SS everyday, to all you crew visiting please post photos!

Anthem1 and sly_karma like this.
  10. Cookthebooks

Cookthebooks Hard Yards

I made lots of pow day videos in my three years at SilverStar. It's still my favourite mountain, although Apex shouldn't be missed by anyone visiting the area.

blowfin, aazz and sly_karma like this.
  11. Anthem1

Anthem1 Addicted

Thanks for the tips on where to go CookTB... Also......Nice video, cool music and great face shots........

I am certainly looking to go down that ridge line If we get some more deep snow and the locals don't beat me to it! :thumbs:

12. Anthem1

Anthem1 Addicted

New question for the forumites that know the mountain.................

Is Freefall the steepest sustained pitch on the mountain?

I finished skiing Skiers right of Putnam today.... Lots of fun. Probably enjoyed Kassanova trees most in the "bowl" but had a blast trying out all the runs. Still really nice snow down some of the less skied runs, Uncle Bucks for instance was really nice and still some deepish soft snow on the sides.

Had a bit of time to try out one run on Skiers left so headed over to Freefall. Looked over the edge at the top :emoji_astonished: but gathered my composure and had a great run down. Lovely snow on an awesome sustained pitch. My favourite run so far out back.........

Been a bit warm so hopefully will snow a bit this weekend and the temps drop a little to stop a thaw / freeze happening off piste....

Having a blast here generally. Is a great ski area with plenty to offer........

Oh... AND...... we have found a cafe that has an actual barista operated coffee machine.... OMG...... :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Cheers to the folks at "Out of Bounds" Cafe.

13. KneeDeep

Yes Freefall the steepest, needs good fresh snow, very difficult if it hasn't snowed for a while. Sunny glades off Sunny ridge nice run with fresh snow .

14. Anthem1

Anthem1 Addicted

Thanks KD...... Yip those lines down Sunny glades look great fun. Looks a bit skied out atm from the chair, but like you say, hitting it early on a pow day would be epic..........

15. TropicalPow

TropicalPow One of Us

Hi Anthem
    Remind me what date you are at Silver Star til ?
    If possible I will come over

Roymond likes this.
  16. Anthem1

Anthem1 Addicted

Hey TP. We are here until around the 24th. Last ski day will be on the Wednesday I think. You are welcome to bunk down the night if you come over..... :thumbs:

17. Anthem1

Anthem1 Addicted

Time for a snow update me thinks..............

The hill is still skiing pretty well considering the warm temps and amount of traffic on the main runs........

Some new snow will be much appreciated on some of the more skied out runs.

Pick of the day for me today was anything steep that hasn't had much sun or traffic. Went back into Freefall a couple of times but the snow has frozen up that little bit, just enough to dampen the fun.......

Tried the other side of sunny ridge and had a lot of fun playing in the still soft (but tiny bit crusty) glades down Northern lights through to Hinky heights....

18. Anthem1

Anthem1 Addicted

Sorry for no photos...... Skiing by myself a lot and there hasn't been much sun..........

19. TropicalPow

TropicalPow One of Us

Hey mate.
    No promises however I will try.
    The offer of a bed will help thanks.
    Enjoy yourself there.
    I can't wsit to get back on skis

20. KneeDeep

Anthem are you still in SS? Very quiet must be too busy with all the new snow. How are you going exploring SS.

21. Anthem1

Anthem1 Addicted

Hi KD, Yip still here (untill the 24th) and yes, been having a ball with the new snow....

My thoughts after 2 weeks of exploration ( I have now skied every run apart from Minerva, Kirkenheimer,Zypper,Black Bear and Alder point)........... NOTE..... The mentioned runs are based on current snow coverage and quality...............

Favourite Runs .. in no particular order.....

Off Piste:
    Freefall - just a wicked consistently steep pitch with great snow currently
    Sunny Glades- not at their best I am sure, but really enjoying them.
    Trinity trees - My go to for first couple of runs on the powder days. Gotta point 'em down but lots of neat little pillows and bumps to play in.
    Show off - Great snow atm, not skied much due to the persistent fog around the top.... but...just so nice when the vis is good.....
    Groomed:
    Holy smokes and Bon Diablo have also been skiing super nice when groomed or left for a day or two

As you can see I am not a huge fan of moguls......:p:p

Scariest run:........ Stardust..... OMFG..... narrow, steep, bumpy with great big holes and "caution" signs to negotiate........... Was good to experience it but won't be going back without a metre of snow falling in there.........

Hope to finish off the remaining blacks in the morning and hike out to Alder point tomorrow afternoon or Friday once the sun comes out.........

Favourite eating out places...

Out of bounds for lunch and the "Den" for dinner......

Bugaboos, Paradise camp (out Putnam Creek) and the village eatery also great for lunch.

Astro66, Pademelon and KneeDeep like this.
  22. KneeDeep

Thanks Anthem, Spirit Bowl and Alder point I have only done once, hard work. Glad you are enjoying SS.
    Don't leave it too late to do Alder point , Putnam lift closes at 3pm.

Anthem1 likes this.
  23. Anthem1

Anthem1 Addicted

Yes, Really enjoying it....
    Even though my "favourite" runs are as above, I have also spent a fair bit of time on all the blues and greens front side.
    Lots of fun to be had ducking and diving around Little dipper and the like.. playing in the old powder etc.......

I will hit the trek to Alder point straight after my obligatory 12 pm BLT on wholegrain and large Latte from Out of Bounds Cafe..... :thumbs:
    So should be back at Putnam in plenty of time....

KneeDeep likes this.
  24. Anthem1

Anthem1 Addicted

Another great day on the hill today, sunny with light winds. Body was on strike but after lots of stretching I got out for the arvo.

Managed to tick off all of the remaining runs backside. Kirkenheimer was interesting, nice snow and bumps top half but bottom half turns into a half pipe.... would be fun on a snowboard? or young legs :p..... got plenty of practice doing jump turns off the walls......
    All the runs on that side of Putnam still fun with deep remnants of Mondays snowfall keeping the bumps and lumps forgiving......was really warm on lower sunny slopes frontside, encountered frozen crud last run down to Silverwood chair. Groomers will be busy tonight!

Still hope to get to Alder point tomorrow for a scenic tour and a few photos..........

KneeDeep likes this.
  25. Joe

Joe One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Really enjoying the BC threads, we have SS and a few other resorts on our radar next year, for those who have spent time at both in recent years how populated is SS compared to SP. I have enough info regarding terrain, accommodations etc but how do you compare lift lines......

26. Anthem1

Anthem1 Addicted

Hi Joe, IMHO both are very similar for lift lines over the xmas / Jan period.

Both get some line ups Xmas and New year holiday weeks but drop off to nice quiet ( ski straight on to the lift) from this week onwards.

Presidents weekend is also usually a bit busy (at SP anyways) with a spike of visitors from Washington...

I believe most BC resorts are similar apart from Whistler which is always busy :p......

#76 Anthem1, Jan 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    Joe likes this.
  27. Crystal

SS way less busy than Sun Peaks IMO outside of major holidays

Joe likes this.
  28. Anthem1

Anthem1 Addicted

^^ I can certainly vouch for SS being very quiet this week on the trails...
    The few people we meet at the lift disappear very quickly into the wide open spaces and many runs to choose from.

I haven't been watching the SP web cams this week to compare tho.

I get the feeling that SP may have become a little busier over the past couple of years due to some expansion and intensive marketing etc......

Crystal would be more up to date than me.......... :)

Joe and Pademelon like this.
  29. Astro66

Astro66 Still looking for a park in Thredbo Ski Pass: Gold

Damm Anthem. Glad you're carving it up at SS.But would have loved to share a few runs with you.

We're here in Sun Peaks till the 24th as well.

Enjoy it mate. :thumbs:

Anthem1 likes this.
  30. Anthem1

Anthem1 Addicted

Hi Astro clan!
    Same mate, missing my "turny crew" buddy..... Have a great time at SP too.

Todays snow report...............

Off piste getting variable now, anything at low altitude or that catches the sun is now freezing overnight....
    Anything high up that stays in the shade is still powdery-ish....

Checking my trail map this morning and noticed I had missed Doognog last week...... hit that this arvo. Another run I would put in the "kind of a chute with bumps" category. Similar to Stardust, Kirkenheimer and Spirit bowl.... Good for a look and to test the skiers ability to turn the skis quickly......

Going to put my trip out to Alder point on hold until after the next snowfall.... Might be able to twist Crystals or +1's arm to buddy up with me..... ;)

Team Anthem hitting the Mountain bike trails tomorrow, should be fun......:D

KneeDeep and Astro66 like this.
  31. Crystal

+1 will be up for it if enough snow..... even the ratbag teenager would give it a bash.

32. Anthem1

Anthem1 Addicted

Awesome, I have a feeling that "ratbag teenager" is going to kick my ass........ :)

Crystal and sly_karma like this.
  33. KneeDeep

I thought my skiing SS was over, but, BZ is keen to go in 2020 and I just checked with the warden and got the ok. Only for one month, time to start planning.

Marty_McSly, Dave6, Anthem1 and 2 others like this.
  34. ralf_plough

ralf_plough One of Us

Just stuck my head in here!

What Astro said. We are in SP from 19-29 Jan.

35. Anthem1

Anthem1 Addicted

Hi Ralph + Family!
    Have a great time in SP, Do some turns down Green door, Father Toms and Gils for me!... :):thumbs:

ralf_plough likes this.
  36. Anthem1

Anthem1 Addicted

I am looking at cruising (boot packing) over to Alder point tomorrow arvo while the weather is so nice.

Going by myself at present but if any forumites (obv including Crystal clan if here yet) wish to join me for the scenic tour I suggest meeting at the big outside fireplace (by village eatery) at 1pm

37. Anthem1

Anthem1 Addicted

Trip update time...........

This report is on the Fat Biking trails.... not for everyone I know but was really surprised by the quality of the trail network.

The Bikes...... Great quality bikes, frames are smaller sizing than regular mountain bikes. I would suggest asking for one size up although the staff seem pretty good at getting it right.

The trail network. Mixture of cruisey bridle track to technical single track. I rode hard for three hours on Saturday and two hours on Sunday to get them all ridden so plenty to ride.

Trail reports below for those interested.......... These are the loops I did to try and make use of the slightly higher(I think) elevation at the Silver Queen end of the trail network.

Ride one
    Village onto Bridle track to Skating pond and return: Nice open ride. Scenic with rolling terrain to get the heart rate up a bit. Crosses the Silverwood ski runs so watch out for mad skiers bombing down from above! Approx 1.5 hrs return

Rider 2
    Village onto Bridle track to Pond - Return via Crack of Dawn: Nice warm up to pond as above. Crack of Dawn 90% rideable with tight single track and exciting ups and downs. A great trail for experienced MTB'ers. Approx 1.75 hrs return.

Ride 3
    Village onto Bridle track to pond - Return via Chakra: Nice warm up to pond as above. Chakra 95% rideable, Nice flowing track. Slightly less technical than Crack of Dawn. Heaps of fun. Approx 1.75 hrs return

Ride 4
    Village onto bridle track to Mountain View, onto Grizly Adams (Mountain view cabin and return), onto Bx Creek (exit BX Creek onto Bridle path by Wild horseman's cabin). Take Bridle trail to bottom of Slver queen lift to BX Express trail head. This is one way back to Horseman's Cabin. Take bridle track back to village.

Great riding out bridle trail and along Mtn View trail. Grizzly Adams bit to steep on the ups and downs for traction so quite a bit of pushing involved. Still worth a look. Good riding along BX Express although mostly uphill. I cruised back along the bridal trail to recover then went into BX Creek one way. A real Gem of a trail, mostly slightly downhill with just the right amount of technical difficulty to keep things honest. My favourite trail for sure. Rolling terrain back to Horsemans cabin and through to the village with nice views. Approx 2 hrs.

I would highly recommend taking the Bridle trail from the village to the bottom of Silver queen chairlift and just riding BX Express back to the Horsemans cabin and Bridle trail to the village for shorter option. This would be my ride of choice if only wanting to do one session to check the Fat tyre thing out....

Finished....... :)

#87 Anthem1, Jan 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
    Pademelon likes this.
  38. Crystal

Anthem, we arrive on Thursday staying at Lord Aberdeen, will PM you when we arrive. On a daily basis generally you will find us at Paradise camp ~11am for a cinnamon scroll and latte.

39. KneeDeep

Good work Anthem, never tried the bikes and I have been coming to SS for 13 years. What's up with the temperature? Too warm, I am normally freezing my arse off in January. You are having too much fun.

40. Anthem1

Anthem1 Addicted

Roger that Crystal..... See you Friday for treats at Paradise camp....... Will be so nice to see you guys...:thumbs:

Crystal likes this.
  41. Anthem1

Anthem1 Addicted

Thanks KD, yeah I know right..... very warm out atm.

Another glorious day on the hill. One of those days that the camera must come out (even if it is the phone camera). Will try to post some pics from my phone on here via an app.
    On days like today, definitely better to stay frontside and lap up the views and sunshine..... (IMO)

Favourite runs of the day................... Big and little Dippers....... snow is still great, especially in the shady bits next to the trees.

sly_karma and KneeDeep like this.
  42. Anthem1

Anthem1 Addicted

Trip report time...... :)
    Another gorgeous day out with the inversion hanging on in the valley.
    Got out for a bunch of fun runs down the groomed "Dippers" again..... Best snow on the mountain I reckon for some great turns...
    After lunch a group of 4 headed over to Alder point for our scenic tour.
    Very scenic it was to. A great perspective from over there looking straight across to "White Elephant and "Freefall".
    Was a bit of an adventure ski down, encountering everything from frozen snow to breakable crust to powder (in the shade under the trees where the sun has not got to it)
    Great times tho.........
    Looking to hire some x country skis tomorrow with +1. Going for a lesson then hope to start heading out around the trail network.
    Promise to post some photos tomorrow!

43. Anthem1

Anthem1 Addicted

Ok.... old man (me) has biffed the laptop aside for the moment and is on the phone to upload photos. Here are a few to let you know a bit of what we have been up to. Sorry about the large files.............
    Alder point.....

Joe, Dave6 and SnowRabbit like this.
  44. Anthem1

Anthem1 Addicted

View from the top of the Comet.
    Could this be the most beautiful view on the planet? :emoji_blush:

Joe, Astro66 and SnowRabbit like this.
  45. Anthem1

Anthem1 Addicted

Fat tyre fun...

Joe and Pademelon like this.
  46. Anthem1

Anthem1 Addicted

Last Mondays dumpage.

Joe, Dave6, Pademelon and 2 others like this.
  47. Anthem1

Anthem1 Addicted

OK, back on the lappy now... time for today's report......
    Had a great day with +1 on the skinny skis. After a bit of a warm up (flailing of arms etc) along the bridle trail went went for our lesson. I am sticking to the skate style and +1 sticking to classic.....
    The lessons were great and the instructors had us both into line by the end of the two hours.
    We are looking forward to exploring Silverwood area trails on Saturday and Alder Point area Sunday....
    Back onto the downhill skis tomorrow for a bit of practice before I have to start chasing Crystals "ratbag" around on Fri... LOL

48. Anthem1

Anthem1 Addicted

A few more photos......

View from the Fat tyre trails

49. Anthem1

Anthem1 Addicted

From the top of the Comet..

SnowRabbit likes this.
  50. Anthem1

Anthem1 Addicted

+1 and Master 1 top of Far out.......

[​IMG]