1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Silverstar 2019/2020

Discussion in 'Canada' started by KneeDeep, Apr 27, 2019.

1. Lady Penelope

Lady Penelope One of some lot ... Ski Pass: Gold

This morning was still quite frigid at -24, so we lounged around in bed for a while before I purchased afternoon tickets. These allow you to ski from 12.30 - 3.30, and with the 25% discount applied due to my Sun Peaks season pass worked out to be very reasonably priced. And today was less freezing than others, just under minus 20 when we headed out. What a fantastic afternoon! We shared a couple of runs with @zac150 and young Zacette (Mrs Zac and the youngster had headed back by that point) over on the back side, starting with Eldorado. Mr 10 hated it. Too many flat spots and traverses for his light frame and he was fuming by the time we got to the rather annoying last traverse up to the Powder Gulch Express. I would have taken a photo of him trudging up carrying his skis, but he probably would have thrown them at me :D

We then tackled 25 North and the steep (but groomed) Bon Diablo. Mr 10 was happy with the black run, but less happy that we ended up back on Eldorado ... After farewelling the Zacs, we had lunch at Paradise Camp (nice soup!) then tackled Gypsy Queen, followed afterwards by more black runs (sigh ...) Caliper Ridge and Normania. Time then to head for home. And my hands only became cold, rather than absolutely freezing. We’ve enjoyed Silver Star, and I’d happily come back and explore more of the mountain. Off to Sun Peaks tomorrow ...

@zac150 on Eldorado ...

Eldorado again ... nice views! (Bit blurry as battery on my phone was about to die!)

Jonathan_P, Joe, EquatorBunny and 2 others like this.
  2. The Lunatic

The Lunatic Hard Yards

What a difference 10 degrees makes hey. Today was so much more bearable. -16 felt balmy!

I agree with your son and El Dorado, although the traverses were a lot faster today with way less stick.

zac150, Lady Penelope and Roymond like this.
  3. Lady Penelope

Lots of snow in Silver Star! Tubing tonight in freezing conditions (free with your lift tickets).

4. Avanti

Avanti First Runs

Looking for some accommodation recommendations for next year just the 2 of use enjoying a retirement trip having been to sunpeaks and whistler the past 2 trips would want an apartment with kitchen and ski in /out for 7 nights in February 2021. Thanks also parking for our car which we will rent from Vancouver

5. zac150

zac150 One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

our little cabin we hire is super cute, doesn’t meet the ski in ski out but is literally 200 to 250m from the village and another chair is about 80m walk. Other than that ticked all the boxes.

The owners are happy for us to pass on their details so you may get a good deal and as they use the cabin often they had it well stocked with herbs and oil etc which made cooking super easy. @Lady Penelope place which was ski in and out was also nice less character but otherwise ticks your boxes as well.

6. KneeDeep

KneeDeep One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Silverstar Stays, have used them for years. A lot of their places don't have a garage tho, pitb if it snows and have to dig your car out. Underground parking in the village at Snowbird, Silvercreek and Firelight.

7. Lady Penelope

I stayed at Silver Creek Lodge. Impressed with the size of the room (with full kitchen and dishwasher); and it does have underground parking as well as a gym and ski lockers. Ski out easily, and ski in with a slight traverse. Nice place :)

aazz likes this.
  8. KneeDeep

Silverstar and Air Canada have a flash sale on today, $1281 ex Australia, check the website.

9. KneeDeep

VANCOUVER RETURN
    ON SALE NOW $1,281*

Vancouver Direct from Sydney, Melbourne or Brisbane to Kelowna

It's a sign from the Snow Gods! With an INCREDIBLE ski season so far, make the most of Air Canada's super low airfares!

Get your dose of spring skiing and head to SilverStar in March 2020.

Valid for Economy Class (K/A) return travel from Australia to Canada. Flight departure dates between Jan 20 - Sept 16.

10. Jacko4650

Jacko4650 One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

So that includes a transfer flight from Vancouver to Kelowna????? If so, that's very good value and one of the quickest ways after transfers to get to Northern Hemi ski area. Me like! Now showing $1,231 on Google search.

Mister Tee on XC Skis likes this.
  11. Beerman

Beerman One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Can’t confirm the deal, but skied there yesterday. Did like the mountain based on what I saw of it. Limited vis up top, but back of the mountain was great, with good vis. Would much prefer this hill over Big White out.

zac150, Lady Penelope and KneeDeep like this.
  12. KneeDeep

Flight to YLW via Vancouver from Aus. Bargain.
    I used to ski both BW and SS but prefer SS, you can always find a clear area, nothing like the fog in BW.
    Plus less expensive when you just do one resort

13. Crystal

Crystal (Sly made me Cry) - Sand skier extraordinaire Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

yes doing 1 resort is heaps cheaper....but you really have to love that 1 resort I guess. We tend to split our trip to ~8 days in one place then the rest of the trip at a fav....can negotiate long stay accom rates and also look at seasons passes or long stay lift tickets.

14. EquatorBunny

EquatorBunny Addicted

I am starting the packing list for our trip! Yaayy. So what skis to bring? I have a pow ski and an all-mountain. Considering that much snow, is it worth bringing the fat waist? I am not looking forward to the number of bags, with both xc and downhill stuff. :confused: And Little Missy's packing. Eeuurghh!
    Anyone up for a coffee or a pint from 27thJan let me know. :D

15. Beerman

Beerman One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

All mountains all the way.

Lady Penelope and EquatorBunny like this.
  16. Jacko4650

Jacko4650 One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

My all-mountains are 106mm. Difference with Powder Skis is starting to blurr.

EquatorBunny likes this.
  17. EquatorBunny

EquatorBunny Addicted

That's pretty wide. I just checked my powder skis - 107mm! 1mm difference. lol

Jacko4650 likes this.
  18. sly_karma

sly_karma Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Yep my everyday ski for the Okanagan is a 105.

19. KneeDeep

@#$%#@!*& Air Canada are useless, bags left behind in Vancouver, little plane was choc a block. We will freight them up to you this evening. Ha nothing, ring and all you get is some overseas help desk that are less than useless.Tired, cranky, anybody got any ideas?

20. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

this happened to my son Van to kamloops on our first trip.

No biggie, they dropped it to our SP accommodation about 4 hours later

21. sly_karma

Doesnt happen to Kelowna flights much like it does with Kamloops. Oh dear.

22. Lady Penelope

Are you going to spend most of your time on groomed runs or off- piste? How wide are your all-mountain skis? My Atomic Vantage all-mountain skis are 90mm underfoot and they’ve been fantastic in the powder (bear in mind I’m only 56kg though!). The guys I’m skiing with at Sun Peaks are also using all-mountain skis and are loving the powder - and they’re a bit heavier than me :D.

EquatorBunny and DidSurfNowSki like this.
  23. Crystal

I would give up on the help desk..... anything you purchase keep receipts and claim back. At least that procedure is easy. Hopefully you will see them today.

Lady Penelope likes this.
  24. Crystal

Gear arrived yet ?

25. KneeDeep

Just arrived, delivery company had written the phone numbers down incorrectly. Then he was looking for a hotel not units.

sly_karma likes this.
  26. Crystal

Good to hear your only down 1 day :)

27. KneeDeep

Yes worked out well, very tired yesterday, jet lag,stress and old age I think.

Joe, EquatorBunny, Crystal and 2 others like this.
  28. EquatorBunny

EquatorBunny Addicted

I am under 50kg though. :emoji_see_no_evil: Too light even for the pow. lol. My pow skis are 107mm underfoot. We are here mostly for the skinny skis - cross country. Thinking of going out downhill skiing on good powder days.
    We'll fly out on 27th till mid-Feb. How long are you here for Lady P?

29. Lady Penelope

Left a week ago for Sun Peaks! Hope it’s a bit cooler at Silver Star than it is here :)

EquatorBunny likes this.
  30. EquatorBunny

EquatorBunny Addicted

Kerfuffling around in Vernon, got lost (coz forgot to download offline map) and eventually made our way up to SS yesterday. Spent this morning in the village and sorting out ski passes and whatnot. Loving SS at the moment. Mr EB said, the only thing that is missing is guns and cowboy hats. LOL

Crystal and Lady Penelope like this.
  31. zac150

Make sure you take them to the pond, I reckon it’s the best kids activity area in Canada. I really liked skating around the island and we had a great hockey game against the penelope’s.

EquatorBunny likes this.
  32. zac150

And this is the sort of stuff that makes me hate Air Canada.....

Our one Air Canada flight was delayed, just because and having been sent by Air Canada to the other end of the Terminal to check in with United only to be sent back (our flights were booked with United but being run by Air Canada) we finally checked in.

we were asked to do a survey on service, my only response was, why during peak Australia to Canada flight period are you having to drop a massive sale....

Says a lot.

Lady Penelope likes this.
  33. Lady Penelope

.... some of the Penelopes ;). At -18, I stayed inside to have a hot chocolate :)

34. EquatorBunny

EquatorBunny Addicted

Will do! Thanks for the suggestion. It seems that she has forgotten what all this white stuff is. Haha. We need to re-introduce her again. :D

35. zac150

hahaha we had the same with our kids, it’s like they have never seen snow before!

Our little one introduced himself to the neighbours I. Silver star and spent four hours building snow forts and sled runs! Had a ball.

EquatorBunny and Lady Penelope like this.
  36. EquatorBunny

EquatorBunny Addicted

Can I say that I am IN LOOOOVE with Silverstar!!! So many pics to show but I am just dead now from skiing and organising little missy's day. LOL:p
    Oh because we also do XC, so spoiled with the joint trails with Sovereign Lake ~105km. The only problem is to get back into SS you'd have to ski over. No shuttle from Sovereign back to SS, or vice versa.

37. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mister Tee on XC Skis A Local Ski Pass: Silver

Is March any good at SS?

38. sly_karma

In a typical season, peak base is reached somewhere in the middle of March. Days are longer so powder quality doesnt hold as long, but March often delivers some of the best conditions of the season.

39. zac150

you would love silverstar or Sunpeaks for that matter both have awesome trails for Xc skiing (I believe SS are very highly rated), snow shoeing and biking, there down hill isnt bad either for some dedicated turns.

40. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Compare March at SS with some of the Northern Sierra Nevada XC ski locations such as Kirkwood and others in the broader Tahoe area. How do they stack up?. I am wondering if March 2021 is a better month than late Jan. to visit the USA and / Or Canada for XC skiing.

41. zac150

i can’t compare as haven’t skied both, but I have friends who rave about SS as an XC location and when on the ground I did hear that it was highly rated.

Also SS is one of the first ski resorts I have been to that has a dedicated XC shop in the village (also one in Vernon) that just sold XC gear. That would suggest demand.

If you do go, I think you would like the Cabin we stayed in (check accommodation thread).

42. EquatorBunny

EquatorBunny Addicted

@Mister Tee on XC Skis
    You'll love SS and nearby Sovereign Lake XC trails. Must get the dual pass to ski both though.
    As @zac150 mentioned, the store in Vernon is Stussi Sport and they have pretty amazing stuff. Ask them about waxing tech. The Village Ski shop stocks pretty good stuff too.
    I'd recommend staying nearby the village.

43. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Thanks for the tip. If I happen to be in NYC in the Jan. to March period in 2021 then would I have to fly to Vancouver and then take surface transport to reach SS?

44. EquatorBunny

EquatorBunny Addicted

That or take a flight to Kelowna Airport. It'll save you about 4hours driving from Vancouver to SS. Buy supplies in Vernon/Kelowna and you're set!

45. zac150

Kelowna also has direct flights to Calgary, Edmonton, Seattle and Las Vegas (among others) . I mention Vegas as my sister tells me there are lots of cheap flights that way, but the most direct loop would be NYC to Calgary, Calgary to Kelowna then get a flight from Kelowna to Vancouver.

check the round the world specials as you might find this cheaper.

46. Mister Tee on XC Skis

https://www.rome2rio.com/s/Vancouver-BC-Canada/Silver-Star-Mountain-Resort
    Maybe Silver Star would be better as a future Canada only trip. I am sure I could get an easier air connection from NYC to Reno Nevada or even Sausalito CA for some Tahoe area USA ski action as well as XC ski in the Lake Placid area while in the general NYC vicinity.
    There are options galore but of course if it snows a lot then delays are inevitable so a flexible plan is better.

#196 Mister Tee on XC Skis, Feb 11, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
  47. sly_karma

AC flies several times a day La Guardia to Toronto, then its a nonstop to Vancouver, and a 1 hr flight Vancouver to Kelowna. An easy 60 minute drive from Kelowna airport to SS. Simples.

48. sly_karma

I'm gonna use my two free passes to SS this month, heading over there for the weekend of Feb 22-23. Let it snow!

KneeDeep likes this.
  49. zac150

check out these guys

https://www.airfaregeeks.com.au/rou...MI7dPxprDK5wIViamWCh1PjwCEEAAYAiAAEgJqxfD_BwE

maybe speak to @DidSurfNowSki about his round the world travels and how he add the extra flights

50. DidSurfNowSki

DidSurfNowSki One of them Ski Pass: Gold

I used a travel agent for the round the world travel. For anything they can't fit on one of their tickets, eg regional USA, sort out by yourself. Mind you, it was a real pain in the a**e staying within the luggage limits on the regionals and they sting you heavily with fees. Travel as light as you can get away with.

For the round the world ticket you really need to make your connections otherwise you are in a world of pain. I made it a point of overnighting near the airport the night prior for each round the world leg. I did this for Sydney, Munich, Denver and Vancouver. Miss a bus or train is one thing, missing your international plane flight is another.