1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Advice needed Single night accommodation (Saturday and Friday) near Skitube.

Discussion in 'Perisher' started by nezumi, Apr 30, 2020.

1. nezumi

nezumi One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Call it wishful thinking if you like, but I'd still like to plan ahead for this year's trip.

This year's trip will have a slightly different flavour as it is just me and the 4yo, with my wife staying behind with the new bub. I have added the skitube to my Epic Pass to allow me to execute a new plan. We are booked in for accommodation from Sunday night to Thursday night, so the plan is:

Before 8:00AM - Arrive at skitube parking lot with Mr4 dressed and ready (bag/board/etc).
    8:00/8:20/8:40 - Take skitube to Perisher Centre, drop him off at snow school and get a few runs in before lunch.
    12:30 - 2:00 - Take skitube back down to the car park, retrieve our luggage from the car, take it up and drop it off at the lodge.

I realise that if I arrive at skitube early enough I can take luggage up on the 7:40 or 8:00 trains - but honestly that is a less than appealing prospect with a 4yo in tow.

The crux of this is finding somewhere to stay on the Saturday night that is close enough to allow for the early arrival. Coming from Melbourne the current thinking is Khancoban, either in one of the holiday park cabins or in the pub/hotel. We could possibly blag a room with family in Canberra, but that means a longer drive on Saturday, and a super early start on Sunday. The same goes for the trip home on Friday, with ski school finishing *just* as the "no luggage" trips start.

Aside from the potential for the Alpine Rd to close, are there any options better than Khancoban? Given the temps I don't think that camping at Ngarigo is viable, especially with the potential packup time.

Driving Melbourne to Jindy
    After work route from Melbourne

2. Genghis Khan

Genghis Khan Hard Yards

This is also my standard approach to squeezing some extra ski time in, though coming from Sydney and we take out gear up on the last ski tube they let you take gear on in the morning, dump it at the lodge and ski from there so avoiding a trip back down later in the day. I think the ski tube attendants are great and I find they really help out families with kids so don't necessarily dismiss that option - I've been taking at least 3 trolleys with 3 young kids up for a few years now (our lodge is self catering and we tend to stay for a while) and always found plenty of help from the attendants getting on and off etc. Just let the teenagers rush off first and they'll sort you out.

I've done just about all the options between Canberra and Jindy over the years. We tend to stick with Cooma these days (more often than not we're picking up some new skis at Rhythm...), but that's a fair bit out of your way from Melbourne. I don't know the best route in, but google maps just directed me via Gippsland and up to Jindy so maybe that way and staying in Jindy could be a good option. I've been able to find single night accommodation there before without too much effort as long as you're not fussy. The further towards Canberra you go from there, the cheaper it will be.... lots of places like berridale, bredbo and even Cooma are well set up for this - simple, clean and warm accommodation - keys left under the doormat for when you get in late, that kind of thing. Ive even done it last minute for weekend trips - booking.com works to quickly show you availability if you're not fussy.

Good luck.

I'm also just tossing up what to do/hope for this year. Our O/S trip was off even before COVID so really keen to try and get some time in locally if they can get it open! Here's hoping......!

nezumi likes this.
  3. zac150

zac150 One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I have a vague recollection that some of my Melbourne friends have stayed in a B and B/ home stay play in Khancoben which they like.

you could also consider the alternate routes through Tumut Adaminaby of CIA the coast and across to Jindy you could then stay somewhere cheaper such as Berridale. There are a couple of Melbourne members that can give better options here.

But I would check with Perisher on what ski school options will be open. My guess is the resorts may not open all facilities in a way to reduce the risk of hot spots or infections to be traced to the mountains.

nezumi likes this.
  4. Donzah

Donzah Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

I don't think Skitube will be open....

zac150 likes this.
  5. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

At various times over the years I have stayed single nights at Lake Crackenback Village and Bimblegumbie - usually at short notice. Mileage may vary depending on bookings.

nezumi likes this.
  6. Donzah

Donzah Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Coming the Cann river way from Melbourne...i'd consider the Station for cheap stays...

I'm not sure i'd do the drive from Khancoban in the morning unless I knew the road really well..

7. nezumi

I'll give some thought to bringing everything up on the Sunday morning, but the priority will be getting Mr4 into his lesson.

We're based in the far north of Melbourne, so going via Khancoban to Jindy is about 6.5-7 hours. Going south, Google Maps tries to route me through Suggan Buggan, which I have previously seen people advise against, especially for the small hatchback that we will be travelling in. Going via Cann River it blows out to 7.5 - 8 hours. Last year we came home that way, which ended up being fortuitous as we were at Perisher in the first week of August, and the Friday when we left was the day of the big snow dump.

The Station might be an option. I was pretty happy with the drive from Khancoban last year, but it was a relatively sedate one as we were meandering rather than driving to a deadline.

8. nezumi

I have already observed that when their new shop went live, it was possible to book discovery program days for snowboarding, but this has now disappeared as an option. I sent an email asking about this, and the response was:
    In the grand scheme for me, if he can't go into snowboard lessons then there is no drive for us to go to Perisher, and I would look to go to Hotham or Falls with friends, and probably see about taking him to Baw Baw.

9. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

We froze our arses off in a basic cabin at Khancoban CP. Probably coldest I've ever been in paid for accommodation. It may have improved since then (2008?) Wildlife on the road wasn't too bad but we were travelling a bit later, getting to the tube after the no luggage period.

nezumi likes this.
  10. robbo mcs

robbo mcs One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

The accomodation providers in Khancoban have had the worst run of anyone. They were hit hard by the fires, not only the fires, but the roads stayed closed for months. Then covid. So basically 6 months of nothing:(

If you are coming Cann river way, Dalgety pub is another option. Cheap, basic country pub accomodation and food.

currawong likes this.
  11. PiedPiper

PiedPiper One of Us

The hotel (alpine inn? ) in kahncoban is pretty good, i usually spend 1 night year year on my annual trip up to NSW skifields-
    call ahead and the guy will turn the heater on and leave the keys out for you, for a late arrival.
    It's a good 1+ hour to skitube from there though, maybe even closer to 2 if you havent driven it before, and/or your driving in the dark and or snow.

currawong and Slalom like this.
  12. nezumi

Last year we stayed in Corryong at the motel. I'm not anticipating too late an arrival, most likely around 4 or 5 pm. Got to get dinner into young Mr and then make sure everything is sorted for the next day. The main issue is that most of the places in or near to Jindy are built around a minimum 2 night stay for the weekend, so finding somewhere that's reasonably priced for just Saturday night (under $200, preferably under $150) isn't so easy.

coolair likes this.