1. Coronavirus #StayHome

Official Advice

- People in Australia must stay at least 1.5 metres away from others and gatherings are limited to two people unless you are with your family or household.
    - If you believe you may have contracted the virus, call your doctor (don’t visit) or contact the national Coronavirus Health Information Hotline on 1800 020 080.
    - If you are struggling to breathe or experiencing a medical emergency, call 000.

Information Resources Mental Health Note: This announcement may be closed & This announcement will be reset every few days.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Single ride tickets

Discussion in 'Falls Creek' started by weerab, Jul 9, 2013.

1. weerab

weerab One of Us

I know this has been raised before but I don,t think it was completely resolved. It would be brilliant if we could buy a single ride ticket on say the falls express to access the high plains road to pretty valley and beyond on touring skis. Anyone know the current situation or should I just offer $20 cash to the towie?

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates One of Us

There are now auto gates at the bottom of Falls Express, Summit and Eagles chair - once you get through these points you have full range of the mountain.

So single run tickets just won't happen. (Grab yourself a pair of tele skis).

3. weerab

weerab One of Us

I have got touring gear but was hoping to save myself the slog up the Mckay road and having to dodge downhill skiers, boarders and the occasional bike!

4. pansnow

pansnow First Runs

It can,t be that simple.
    IF you have Three people skiing two can go up on for example the eagle chair.
    One of the two people removes his ticket and gives it to the other person that skis down gives to the third person.
    They catch the lift up and away you go 2 for the price of 2 along as you don't go back down you are away.
    Do they check tickets on the lifts over the back before the auto system they did.
    If they pull you up for not having a ticket just look shocked and pissed off say bugger it must of fallen off on the last run and all you had was single day ticket there $100 bucks gone.

5. Hully

Hully One of Us

Inside tip, don't try it. Reality is if you get caught you will be handed over to the coppers and finish up with a theft charge and I can assure you this is the process. Appearance in court and a criminal record is the likely outcome. With the new e tickets they will know if you have purchased a ticket.

6. BilbyBill

BilbyBill One of Us

Last year the +1 purchased what was called a Cross Country Access pass. She thinks it was about $5.

7. pansnow

pansnow First Runs

Are Day tickets e tickets and do they have RFD.
    If they are do you have to show ID to by a ticket now plus do they take your picture.
    What if you are paying cash.
    The wife and I normally share a day ticket so one off us can stay back at the lodge with the kids.
    Can we still do that I know it is technically illegal but people have being doing that for years on day tickets.

8. Hully

Hully One of Us

All tickets now are RFID 'smart cards' called a 'Snow Pass'. Seem to be working ok...better than my experience with MYKI when I went to Melbourne earlier in the year!! Need to pay an initial $3 to get one. Thinks photos are still only for season passes etc, but not 100% on that.

9. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

I bought a generic cardboard RFID day pass at Perisher.
    It can be reloaded (and was a number of time).
    No name, photo, whatever.
    I think these are the way foward for the future - and lets face it...whether one person is smashing the lifts all day, or two people are doing half a day each because they have kids...it's only one person at a time riding the lift on that pass. Shouldn't be considered a problem (even if it actually is).

10. pansnow

pansnow First Runs

I think at Falls creek you may need a photo I think.
    If you try to buy a snow pass online they ask you for a photo.
    Bugger
    There goes sharing a day ticket.
    Well you can still do it but I'm guessing they would have random checks of the passes on the mountain.
    I guess a way you could try and get around it is have 2 cards and if you get caught out you could say you topped up the wrong card. Just make sure you have one of then topped up.

With the e cards they have a chance of a partner rate.
    You can get a pass in 2 peoples names charge people extra for it $150 for the day only one person at a time can use it.
    I reckon people would jump at it.
    People can still have there own card if they want to ski together.

11. Hully

Hully One of Us

My main comment is....if you are planning on breaking the law and effectively stealing, why are you promoting the fact and the lie that you are going to use on a public forum? Would you promote that you are planning to shoplift in Myers and tell the world what excuse you are going to use if you get caught? In regards to random checks, with the gates installed on the access lifts there is 100% checking of all rides, including clear visual of any photos, with elecrtonic gates for everybody riding Falls Express, Eagle and Summit.

12. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

I'm not sure how much info they have on the snowpass, but pretty sure gender is recorded. Share tickets at your peril. As Hully said, the lift co will prosecute if they catch you cheating.

13. Hully

Hully One of Us

Doesn't have to be prosecution either, a couple of years back a young dude tried to get on Falls Express with an expired ticket which he had tried to hide the date on. It was picked up by an alert Ticket Checker and he was refused access. Bad luck and no problems he thought as he headed off to the Ticket Box to buy a day ticket. Should have seen the look on his face as I refused to let them sell him a ticket and that as he had tried to steal from the company I wouldn't be giving him access to lifts that day. He had driven from Wagga for a day trip with his mates and had to sit out for the day and wait for his ride home.

14. Ziggy

Ziggy A Local Ski Pass: Gold

FC should attend to what weerab's need is. One ride to easily access a good chunk of terrain for touring and turning.

You can get a single ride ticket to the top at Thredbo and that allows a quick route to the BC. The price is stupid but folk inc. me pay it. It's well worth avoiding the slog.

At Falls, it's not that much of a slog ... but for old cashed-up pharts ... ;-)

15. LMB

I'm personally anal about doing the right thing...and have season passes or day passes (dependent on which resort, which family member). My statement was about best use of the new system in line with what happens at other international resorts. I know some sell 30hr passes, which clock the time used from first lift to last each day, others sell points tickets (x number of points per ride) that are fully transferable. This kind of system for parents of small children is fantastic - and entirely possible with electronic ticketing. Was never suggesting rorting the system should be done.

16. Hully

Hully One of Us

Hey LM, I was not directing my comments at what you had to say and apologise if that is how it appeared.

Discussion about what products could/should be offered and how to defraud the system to steal are two different subjects and that is what my comments were directed at.

Cheers

17. LMB

All good Hully, didn't take it that way, but thought I'd better clarify in any case [​IMG]

#17 LMB, Jul 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2013
  18. weerab

weerab One of Us

Hope you were not including me in that description, an old phart maybe, but not cashed up, that's why I am still working and you are off skiing!

#18 weerab, Jul 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2013
  19. currawong

I absolutely support the idea of a one ride bc access ticket.

And i also think they should have an attractive mum & dad ticket.

But if they haven't, you have to suck it up

20. weerab

weerab One of Us

Ok but I,m not really sure what "suck it up means" . what do I have to suck up?

21. teckel

teckel Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

I have tokens that I am willing to sell (or even give away), that entitle the bearer to lift access at Falls Creek. Now these tokens were probably minted before the towies were born, but nowhere does it state an expiry date on these tokens, so they must be still valid [​IMG] Legally, I doubt they could refuse them!

#21 teckel, Jul 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2013
  22. currawong

Suck up the legalities of the tickets on offer.

But i was referring more to the ticket sharing scenarios rather than the bc access. As I've said, i think this an important thing they should offer, and find reasonable ways of preventing abuse. Lots of bc and xc people these days do a bit of lifted skiing too. Grow the market, make it all attractive.

23. BilbyBill

BilbyBill One of Us

Has anyone asked for a single ride ticket? As I said before, last year my wife asked for a single ride ticket to access the high x-c trails, and was issued with a Cross Country Access Pass. It cost her $5.

I still have the ticket it has "Cross Country Access Pass" printed on it so it must have been in their computer system.

24. weerab

weerab One of Us

No, I haven't, but I certainly intend to this season.

25. Hully

Hully One of Us

Think that you will find that it was a special deal when there was minimal snow down low, was also done leading up to Hoppet's when it was goign to be a high course. Why they would charge $10+ for a single ride for foot traffic and then give a $5 ticket for XC skiers is still beyond me. From experience I can tell you that although those on here may be well intentioned in what they want to use a single ride for, there are many (and yes a high % on XC skis) who try to access the rear lifts without dedicated ticket checking for free. IMHO the market of honest people who want a single ride to easily access out of bounds skiing is not worth the effort of having to deal with another way for poeple to rip the system off.

26. weerab

weerab One of Us

Couldn't they just have a paper ticket which you could surrender as you get on the lift?

27. Hully

Hully One of Us

It is not an issue to ticket the single ride....it is done anyway for foot traffic. The issue is with people accessing the ski area with ski equipment (board or skis) on a single ride ticket at one of the 100% monitored ski lifts (FEX, Eagle, Summit) and then heading to the ski lifts that do not have 100% monitoring. If there were scanners at all of the Sun Valley lifts then I would not think that it would be any issue at all, however, the market for people wanting to use single ride tickets to access out of bounds skiing would not be anywhere near large enough to justify the capital cost.

28. currawong

The issue is that once people are up the top, too many will try to access the lifts from drovers to ruined castle, where little checking is done. Having a paper ticket doesn't change things. I'd really like to think there was a workable solution - but i can understand the lift co's stance when there are apparently so many people eager to exploit any vulnerabilites in the ticketing system. Why pay extra ticket checkers when refusing single rides to other than foot traffic will achieve the objective?

29. gettingtooold

gettingtooold One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

They managed to operate on single ride tickets/tokens in the dark ages before scanners etc. but it's obviously not possible these days. Maybe cynicism but not enough profit for single rides? I may stand corrected but don't they issue single ride tickets to Cloud nine for non skiers/boarders at Falls?

30. weerab

weerab One of Us

a bit like the Myki system isn't it, can,t get a single ride either!

31. currawong

In the days of tokens, there was checking on every lift, usually a turnstile.

They do have single rides for foot traffic, but if you have skis (even xc) or a board, they assume that you are probably going to try and ride sun valley lifts for free

32. Charlie

Charlie Still the most depraved poster here Ski Pass: Gold

Well, that's the end of it for me, my partner may qualify as attractive, but I'd have no hope!
    [​IMG]

As an aside, how long has the 'giggle' [​IMG] smiley been around?

#32 Charlie, Jul 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2013
  33. Ziggy

Ziggy A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Have only intensively skied the resort one season - last year; don't ever recall not seeing lifties on the Sun Valley side. Often rolled up there from a BC trip out kitted out like your std tourer and was always asked to show my ticket.

Thredders has single rides on the big chair - you just hand in the paper ticket - along with tows up high with no readers. Doesn't seem to be a problem there.