Single Sign-On Project - Questions & Answers

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Clarence Town
Before the end of March we will be implementing a Single-Sign on process that will enable all existing members (and all new members) to be simultaneously registered/logged-in on all our features - Marketplace, Forums, KickApps (Photos, Videos, Blogs), WikiSki as well as our Business Client products.

Apart from streamlining our membership process, this project will also allow all Forum members to participate and 'Comment' on items that are outside of the forums - currently this includes Photos, Videos, Blogs and Snow Reports but will be expanded to include member comments on News items as well as TripAdvisor style reviews in our Accommodation Directory.

WHAT THIS MEANS TO YOU RIGHT NOW
In a nutshell: Update your forum profile now to avoid the risk of having it deleted.

For those already logged in simply click here to edit your profile now. Otherwise login > My Stuff > My Profile

We need clean membership databases before we merge the various log-in systems. Therefore, all memers are urged to visit their profile pages and ensure all details are up to date.

If you are a forum member that has also registered for any of our other features then please log-in to those and also ensure all details are up to date.

When we finally cut-over and merge the database any conflicting username/email address combinations will be identified and potentially deleted if the accounts are not current.

In order to avoid having your account deleted we strongly recommend you update your profile details right now.

Those of you who would like to consolidate different usernames across Forums, Marketplace, Wiki etc prior to our database merge should contact us asap. Ensure you provide sufficient detail with your request including all username/s and email addresses registered.

Any questions about this project should be posted below.

Thanks
Richard

Last edited by a moderator:

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Clarence Town
Re: Single Sign-On Project - Questions & Answers

doh!

removed from sticky global announcement so people can actually post a reply

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

VSG

Crayon Master
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Port Macquarie NSW
www.tumblr.com

So, this silly ness will disappear? The need to login potentially four times?

yay!
smile.gif

vsgskixtralogin.jpg

currawong

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley

sorry, I'm a bit confused

My forum "display" name is the same as my logon name for wiki and skiXtra. However my forum logon name is different. Will I disappear in a puff of smoke? will it work seamlessly? do I need to change something, somewhere?

what about other aliases, will they survive?

BTW, this a good move, just not sure if I have to do anything (have checked that my details are correct, as I see it)

VSG

Crayon Master
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Port Macquarie NSW
www.tumblr.com
I'm with Currawong. I can see the sense in all this, just a bit concerned about what may happen.

But, your message, paraphrased below, does not exactly make me feel better....

Richard, I guess some users feel threatened by the notion that they may be deleted. Exactly what are the defining common terms that we must 'update'? is it simply a case of making sure:
1. the email contact in each login is the same? and also,
2. perhaps making the login name the same? (Can we alter a login name?) and
3. what about those alternate names we can use within a forum context?

Some answers, please.
smile.gif

... will be implementing a Single-Sign on process that will enable all existing members (and all new members) to be simultaneously registered/logged-in on all our features - Marketplace, Forums, KickApps (Photos, Videos, Blogs), WikiSki as well as our Business Client products.

Apart from streamlining our membership process, this project will also allow all Forum members to participate and 'Comment' on items that are outside of the forums - ...

WHAT THIS MEANS TO YOU RIGHT NOW
In a nutshell: Update your forum profile now to avoid the risk of having it deleted.

For those already logged in simply click here to edit your profile now. Otherwise login > My Stuff > My Profile

We need clean membership databases before we merge the various log-in systems. .... When we finally cut-over and merge the database any conflicting username/email address combinations will be identified and potentially deleted if the accounts are not current.

In order to avoid having your account deleted we strongly recommend you update your profile details right now.

Hunter

Part of the Furniture
Endless Winter
Aug 21, 2000
goughs bay

I too am with currawong VSG it is not very clear exactly what you require.

Austin powers

Old n' Crusty
Jun 26, 2006
over here

Is it possible to put up a list of poster names who or pm them if they have a conflicting username/email address combination?

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Clarence Town
Austin powers said:
Is it possible to put up a list of poster names who or pm them if they have a conflicting username/email address combination?

yes

Firstly - All conflicting combinations will flagged and handled by a real person (most likely me) and NO ONE who is clearly very active in the Forums (or other features) will be deleted without considered attempts by email etc are made to reslove the conflict - ***but*** if your email is not current AND you don't hang out here all day every day you will probably not get the message - hense, update your email address in your various profiles so they all map up.

Scenario 1. No Conflict (same username & email)
Forum: user / email = johndoe / john.doe@office.com.au
Marketplace user / email = johndoe / john.doe@office.com.au

Result - No change

Scenario 2. Username Conflict (different usernames same email)
Marketplace user / email = johnd / john.doe@office.com.au

Result - Highly unlikely it's actually different people so an email will be sent to confirm and a single username will chosen based on the response - if no response from email the username *will* now become johndoe (The pecking order will be Forum > Marketplace > Kickapps > Wiki)

Scenario 3. Email Conflict (same username, different emails - the most problematic)
Marketplace user / email = johndoe / jackdaniels@gmail.com

Result - Are these different people? Are both emails valid? If different people who was first, who gets to keep the username? Who is the most inactive? When was the last access? etc etc. One of these accounts *will* be deleted.

Scenario 4. Completely different registrations but is actually same person
Marketplace user / email = jackdaman / jackdaman@gmail.com

Result - this guy gets two single sign on accounts - we have no hope of recognising that this is the same person.

Scenario 5. Only 1 account in one system (the most common)

Result - John Doe now gets to seemlessly log-in across all the features.

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Clarence Town
The key thing here is that most of the conflicts will most likely be people who are highly active and we *will be able to contact them* and choose a single sign-on.

No need to panic folks.

If there are conflicts and the profiles have not been used in over 12 months or more - and there is no response - then those profiles simply get deleted and those people are unlikely to be inconvenienced one little bit.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using