Mega Thread Sizzling Summer BBQ Thread!

Jellybeans

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Aug 24, 2015
Canberra
Time for a Thread!

Another bout of Thunderstorm Asthma due in Victoria tomorrow. All the sudden this has come...

Reactions: nfip

benchives

I forgot how to ski
Ski Pass
Dec 30, 2006
sydney
Could it not be a media catch all designed to maximise traffic through painless thinking that actually doesn't mean anything at all?

The people who died - how are they different from the other eight people who died from respiratory infections last year?

Reactions: dawooduck

Jellybeans

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Aug 24, 2015
Canberra
IMG_9259.png
IMG_9260.png

This is crazy. There is actually a consensus between EC and GFS for Tasmanian Snow on the 8th December to possibly 1300m. Go to the Northern Hemisphere already.

DiscoStuAU

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 30, 2015
Melbourne City, VIC
Could it not be a media catch all designed to maximise traffic through painless thinking that actually doesn't mean anything at all?

The people who died - how are they different from the other eight people who died from respiratory infections last year?

Surprisingly it is a real terminology used not just in Australia but globally. Something to do with the winds associated with a thunderstorm and how quickly it kicks up the pollen, explodes it and then buggers off. Of course it sounds fantastic on the news as well.

Sultry day in Melbourne town today, been building up heat consistently all day.

nfip

Cold 'n Rusty
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2006
Yuin Country
Yeah haven't been looking out for it but looks possible, on AXS G, up around 16- 1800 m.
Thursday night Friday morning.

POW Hungry

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 28, 2000
Eastern Burbs of Sydney
Yeah, Thursday PMs system looks very frontal, with cold, dry air trailing. Cold air swings in late for the mainland, early on Friday AM.
TAS to see snow down to 1200m early Friday morning (2-3cm) IMO. Dusting on the mainland above 1700m IMO.
Vigorous system for December, nonetheless. Sure looks windy.

Last edited:

Seafm

Too far from the snow
Ski Pass
Jun 5, 2014
Cairns, Queensland
Hot and dry in FNQ at the moment with no relief in sight. In my old hometown of Townsville the primary water storage is sitting at 15%. Plus there is a large scrub fire burning between Cairns and Mareeba at the moment. Thankfully fires up here are nowhere near as extreme as what happens down south.
Hurry up wet season.

Reactions: POW Hungry

Bluebird

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 16, 2013
Melbourne
Hot and dry in FNQ at the moment with no relief in sight. In my old hometown of Townsville the primary water storage is sitting at 15%. Plus there is a large scrub fire burning between Cairns and Mareeba at the moment. Thankfully fires up here are nowhere near as extreme as what happens down south.
Hurry up wet season.
My parents are up in Cairns at the moment. They can't believe how dry it is. To quote Mum: 'It's just like Townsville at the end of September - brown!'

Hopefully the monsoon kicks in soon (and has a break in mid-January when I'm planning to go up there!)

Seafm

Too far from the snow
Ski Pass
Jun 5, 2014
Cairns, Queensland
My parents are up in Cairns at the moment. They can't believe how dry it is. To quote Mum: 'It's just like Townsville at the end of September - brown!'

Hopefully the monsoon kicks in soon (and has a break in mid-January when I'm planning to go up there!)
It does look pretty sad at the moment, my sprinklers are doing their best to keep the yard green.

Beerman

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 15, 2015
Brisvegas
I had last week in NT, about 600k NW of Alice, edge of Tanami. Thermometer out of the sun showing 49C on Thurs at 2.30pm.
Midnight Thursday was 38C.
Bring on Japow.

Reactions: Wally and nfip

Jellybeans

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Aug 24, 2015
Canberra
graphic.aspx

Looking at it, it should start snowing in Tassie at about 5-7pm at the peaks. The mainland will probably have snow at midnight. Tassie should get to 1100m with 1000m in the South possibly. Mainland should get down to 1600-1700m around Main Range, 1500m further south in Victoria.
The event should be over by 6pm Friday, only expecting about 5cm on the mainland and similar in Tassie...

Elsewhere on the Eastern Seaboard, a large part of it is in for a soaking, thanks to the MJO.

Reactions: Claude Cat and nfip

Claude Cat

On my bike
Platinum
Jul 6, 2001
Canterbury, Vic
SEVERE WEATHER WARNING for DAMAGING WINDS
For people in the Central, South West, North Central and parts of the East Gippsland, Northern Country, North East, West and South Gippsland and Wimmera Forecast Districts.

Issued at 4:29 pm Wednesday, 7 December 2016.

WEATHER SITUATION:
Winds are expected to strengthen on Thursday ahead of and with the passage of a strong cold front. The cold front is expected to enter western Victoria early Thursday morning and reach eastern Victoria during the afternoon. Winds are expected to remain fresh to strong in the wake of the front on Thursday, but the strongest gusts will then be confined to the coast.

DAMAGING WINDS, averaging 40 to 60 km/h with peak gusts of around 90 km/h are expected to develop across southern and mountain areas of Victoria from the west during Thursday, particularly over elevated areas where gusts may reach 110 km/h. Winds are expected to decrease a little from the west during the day, although gusts around 90 km/h will remain a risk near the coast.

Locations which may be affected include Horsham, Warrnambool, Seymour, Maryborough, Ballarat, Geelong and Melbourne.

IDV65657[1].gif

Reactions: POW Hungry

POW Hungry

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 28, 2000
Eastern Burbs of Sydney
All major models are signalling an even deeper, colder (yet drier) airmass over TAS next Wednesday PM. It's been drifting in and out of runs and will struggle to endure the 174hrs, but these back-to-back systems are clearly out of season.
Screen Shot 2016-12-07 at 7.33.33 pm.png
Screen Shot 2016-12-07 at 7.40.09 pm.png

Reactions: DiscoStuAU

Jellybeans

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Aug 24, 2015
Canberra
All major models are signalling an even deeper, colder (yet drier) airmass over TAS next Wednesday PM. It's been drifting in and out of runs and will struggle to endure the 174hrs, but these back-to-back systems are clearly out of season.
Current models are not talking dry, they are talking wet. Some parts of Tasmania are looking like 10, 15, even 20cm of snow :thumbs:
graphic.aspx

graphic.aspx

POW Hungry

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 28, 2000
Eastern Burbs of Sydney
Current models are not talking dry, they are talking wet. Some parts of Tasmania are looking like 10, 15, even 20cm of snow :thumbs:
graphic.aspx

graphic.aspx
Sorry, wasn't very clear here. Dry for Victoria & Mainland! Tas will largely be the only region affected by the winter-like influence here if it verifies. A very tight thermal, moisture gradient indeed.

Last edited:
Reactions: cloudbase
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass